Moms and Maids

Dress issues

Hi knoties!!

I'm having problems to decide which colors should be my mom's and mother in law dresses. My wedding colors are orange, ivory and gold, and i dont know which color I should pick for the dresses. I don't want them to be confuse with the decoration if you know what I mean?

Re: Dress issues

• kvoley17 said:
    Hi knoties!!

I'm having problems to decide which colors should be my mom's and mother in law dresses. My wedding colors are orange, ivory and gold, and i dont know which color I should pick for the dresses. I don't want them to be confuse with the decoration if you know what I mean?

You seriously think the moms will be confused with decorations? You don't choose any dresses or colors for the moms. They wear whatever they want to wear.
  • The MOB and MOG should pick their own dresses, in any color they choose. I know that some people think that they should match the wedding colors but that is unnecessary. It is rude to tell anyone but the bridal party what to wear.
  • The MOB and MOG should pick the colors that make them feel most beautiful. They're not members of the wedding party, so you can't tell them what color to wear.
  • I used to think that MOB and MOG are fit to dress themselves until a wedding I attended.  The MOB wore a metallic (champagne/gold), which was pretty neutral.  The MOG, her mother, a daughter who was not a BM, and several other members of their family all wore the exact same color (different dresses and different styles) and the men in that family coordinated with that color for their pocket squares, ties, and vests. It ended up looking like they were trying to change the whole color theme of the wedding.  
  • How on earth would the mothers' dresses be changing the color theme? They're not part of the wedding party. If the men chose to coordinate with them (or were voluntold), that's their choice.
  • My mom and my fiance's mom will be shopping together I think. My fiance told us his mom was wondering what my mom would be wearing so we ended up deciding it would be fun for them to go shopping with my sister along to help.

I would say let the wear something they are comfortable with and a color they look good in. Example--I look good in cool colors (blue, green, purple, etc) while my mother looks better in warm colors (reds, yellows, orange, etc.) My wedding colors are purple and blue but I do not mind if my mother ends up wearing a mostly red outfit to our wedding. Though she may not since my brother's favorite color is red and he will be wearing his red dress shirt and tie.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nobody is going to confuse people for decorations. What they wear absolutely does not influence the color palate you have chosen. It's rude to dictate the attire of any guests outside of your bridesmaids. They'll probably ask you to be polite to which you can reply, "Choose something you love. I'm sure whatever you pick with be beautiful." My MIL asked me about 40 times what she should wear. I just put that comment on repeat. She looked gorgeous.
    *********************************************************************************

• The Mothers are guests and as with any guest your should never control what they wear.  They are adults and have been dressing themselves for years and can continue to do so for your wedding.

• MOBs and MOGs CAN dress themselves.  This isn't for you to worry about OP.  They choose what they wear, one less thing for you to stress over.
  • fre3doms said:
    My mom and my fiance's mom will be shopping together I think. My fiance told us his mom was wondering what my mom would be wearing so we ended up deciding it would be fun for them to go shopping with my sister along to help.

I would say let the wear something they are comfortable with and a color they look good in. Example--I look good in cool colors (blue, green, purple, etc) while my mother looks better in warm colors (reds, yellows, orange, etc.) My wedding colors are purple and blue but I do not mind if my mother ends up wearing a mostly red outfit to our wedding. Though she may not since my brother's favorite color is red and he will be wearing his red dress shirt and tie.

You two decided it would be fun for them to shop together? And, you think they need a helper? Does your mom normally need a helper to shop? If any of my kids did this to me, they'd get an earful!
  • Sorry to break it to you,  but what they wear is none of your concern.  they can wear whatever outfit in whatever colour (except for white, if you are wear a whtie dress as part of the Western culture) that they want to.
  • Thank you for your help
  • It was a really tacky display and they were all, of course in a ton of pictures and sat together.  I cannot imagine why a group of people would coordinate their own color at somebody else's wedding. 
  • My FMIL and Mom could choose whatever they wanted in whatever color, but I went with both of them shopping because they wanted me to. It was a lot of fun, and they're both happy (and neither are wearing our "colors"). They're adults and they should be able to dress appropriately, though I dont think going shopping with them is out of line, if they WANT you there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards