Wedding Reception Forum

Did you give a "thank you" speech at your reception?

Just curious...I have seen the B&G do this at about 50% of the weddings I have been to.  I prefer not to and just go around for table visits over the course of the night.  Did you do this at your reception?  Is this something you commonly see at weddings?
What about at the rehearsal dinner?

Re: Did you give a "thank you" speech at your reception?

• We are thanking our WP and parents at the rehearsal dinner (with gifts and by saying a few words) but at the reception we'll be doing table visits but just after our first dance and right before dinner my stepdad (he and my mom are hosting) will briefly welcome everyone and thank them for being a part of our day before opening up the buffet.
  • We did a receiving line, we did table visits (probably missed people then), and did a two line thank you toast. 

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We did table visits but I know we didn't catch everyone. Then in the middle of dancing before the photog had to leave the dj asked everyone out to the floor around us, my h thanked everyone for coming and have a quick speech and then we took a big group pic.

• We did a receiving line as well as a short thank you toast.  At our rehearsal dinner, we thanked our parents and WP and gave them all gifts.
  • Both my daughter and son did at their weddings.  Their thanks at the rehearsal were more intimate and bridal party specific.  I believe at most weddings I have attended, the bridal couple said at least a few words of gratitude to their guests in a formal way.
  • I would definitely do it, because you can never guarantee that you are able to talk to every single person there as you are walking around. It only takes 2 minutes to grab a microphone and thank everyone for coming.
  • Yes, we stood up and thanked everyone for coming and also made a toast to community. We also did a sort of receiving line, served the cake to guests ourselves, and did table visits. Part of the reason we did the thank you is because we didn't have a DJ or MC and needed to announce that we'd be cutting the cake.
  • We did. At our rehearsal dinner, DH thanked everyone for being a part of our wedding. Then, at the reception, we had 2 toasts (one from a BM and one from a GM) before the cake was cut. After the second toast, I took the mic and thanked all of our guests for being there and supporting us. It took all of a minute, but I wouldn't have felt right not thanking everyone as a whole.

We made sure to talk with each of our guests individually as well - not by going table to table but by either dancing with them for a song or chatting for a few minutes. Even so, I know that there were guests that I talked to but that DH didn't (because they were people on my side he didn't know) and vice versa. Being able to say thank you to everyone at the same time, I hope, made up for that.
  • Nope. We did table visits.

I believe we thanked everyone at the Rehearsal dinner, though

• Thank you speech is very important in a wedding so I'm planning to prepare one on my reception. I'm planning to do it for around 5-10 minutes and dedicate it to all the guests, relatives and friends who spent their time to one of the most special occasion in my life.
  • We are going to do a recieving line after the ceremony but also a short thank you at the reception. 
  • msgrinn said:
    Thank you speech is very important in a wedding so I'm planning to prepare one on my reception. I'm planning to do it for around 5-10 minutes and dedicate it to all the guests, relatives and friends who spent their time to one of the most special occasion in my life.
    WOAH. way too long. Your guests will thank you if its under one minute.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • msgrinn said:
    Thank you speech is very important in a wedding so I'm planning to prepare one on my reception. I'm planning to do it for around 5-10 minutes and dedicate it to all the guests, relatives and friends who spent their time to one of the most special occasion in my life.
    Cut it back to 2 minutes.  No longer.
  • I did a "Thank you for coming" speech. 1-2 mins max. Then all of DH's friends started chanting "Speech! Speech!" so he had to say something, too, poor guy :-)
  • We did a receiving line after the ceremony. We also thanked everyone and gave the WP and our parents gifts at the RD. 
    *********************************************************************************

• We will be giving a thank you speech at the reception. I don't like the receiving line idea as it will take a lot of time away from our pictures. We also plan on making the rounds at the table just to say a personal hello to everyone (although we may not catch everyone with that).

• Bad idea if there are lots of speeches. If there aren't...it could maybbbeeee be okay
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards