Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is a "Cocktail hour" the only way to fill a little gap?

2»

Re: Is a "Cocktail hour" the only way to fill a little gap?

• An hour is totally acceptable between ceremony and reception. And I have often heard it called "Social Hour"  Drinks can be served, but if you don't want to do appetizers, don't worry. I have been to a lot of weddings where that isn't offered.

I think people will have fun mingling and enjoying their time. Don't stress over just an hour.

Good Luck!
  • An hour is totally acceptable between ceremony and reception. And I have often heard it called "Social Hour"  Drinks can be served, but if you don't want to do appetizers, don't worry. I have been to a lot of weddings where that isn't offered.

I think people will have fun mingling and enjoying their time. Don't stress over just an hour.

Good Luck!
    If you are going to have alcoholic drinks then you should most definitely include appetizers. Unless you want a crap load of drunken guests quickly.

• I agree with the ladies here!  Definitely have a cocktail hour, or whatever you want to call it!  It's your day--you call the shots (pun intended, I guess) with what is being served and what fits in your budget. 
    Maybe you could create a "signature" punch for your wedding, and include both an alcoholic and non-alcoholic version?

As for food, just keep it simple.  Most guests will appreciate having a few munchies around like cheese & crackers, an assortment of nuts, or a fruit/veggie tray.  

I think others have said this before, but you should definitely include things for the guests to do.  Perhaps you could set up a slide show of the two of you from birth to present, or have a photo booth for guests to take silly pictures, or  make some sort of "wedding wishes" thing where guests can write their marriage advice for the two of you.

• I was thinking about a scavenger hunt or a crossword puzzle,printed on the back of the programs.  The scavenger hunt is a good way to make sure that everyone knows about things like guest book, favors table, or place card tables etc.. I also thought that the crossword puzzle would be a good way to learn more about the bride & groom, with questions about how you meet, first date, or a special song. these ideas are good if you are planning  to make your own programs.
  • Consider the general setting and feeling of your wedding.  I've seen country weddings with cornhole during the cocktail hour.  If it's really formal, consider getting entertainment--like some live musicians--a jazz trio, string quartet, etc.  Or a photobooth.

There are tons of card ideas--like putting them on a tree, building a "thumbprint" tree (which I'm not a fan of because of messy factor, but the end result can be pretty...)  Even ways to incorporate your favor.  Once I saw a candle-making station at a wedding so guests could make their own favor.  Which takes time and could occupy them.

On Four Weddings, there are often weddings with kitschy themes, so they get singers, celebrity impersonators, circus performances for a carnival theme, etc.  I always think that's over the top and cheesy.  I'd steer clear.
  • I have a similar dilemma as most people coming to my wedding do not drink, so I decided to have Karaoke hour instead of cocktail hour. Cocktails will be served for people who do drink, and even though I don't want them to eat dinner without us, hors d'oeuvres while they wait. But while they are waiting, there will also be karaoke. I hope it works, because don't know how outgoing they will be to jump up and do Karaoke, but I don't want my guests to get bored while I am gone.
  • I have a similar dilemma as most people coming to my wedding do not drink, so I decided to have Karaoke hour instead of cocktail hour. Cocktails will be served for people who do drink, and even though I don't want them to eat dinner without us, hors d'oeuvres while they wait. But while they are waiting, there will also be karaoke. I hope it works, because don't know how outgoing they will be to jump up and do Karaoke, but I don't want my guests to get bored while I am gone.
    I've never found myself bored during a cocktail hour with good hors d'oevres, good company, and something to drink.  The last wedding I was at had fantastic food and a beautiful view, so we sat and chatted and wandered around the venue.  I don't think scheduling activities is necessary.  People can chat and mingle for an hour before dinner is served.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Since it is outdoors maybe have some croquet, horseshoes, or  a bag game available for people to play. This will keep people entertained while you are taking pictures and it doesn't involved alcohol.
  • Thanks everyone. I have told my caterer that I would like a few cheese trays and fruit trays and we will also have both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks. We also already planned on having a couple of cornhole games set up but I didn't think about doing it for that hour but now I will.
  • For our "cocktail hour" we have the bar/drink available to anyone who wants it, and a few platters of veggies and dip. We're going to eat about an hour later, so we only asked for 3 platters for 150 people. You can nosh if you want, but its nothing to "fill up on"
  • Yes! Its totally okay. For religious reasons we are not serving alcohol at our reception so alternatives are a must. I plan on giving sparkling juices and non-alcoholic variety of drinks while pictures are done. If you are having it outdoors, perhaps set up some games that are unique to the season. 
  • My FI and I are also getting married at the same place where our reception is at. While we are taking pictures we are having an open bar and several appetizer platters available to our guests. We are also having a photobooth so it'll give our guests something else to do until we make our entrance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards