Offbeat Weddings
Options

Halloween Wedding, to Costume or not to Costume?

Hello Everyone,
My Fiance and I are trying to have an elegant Halloween wedding. We are in the air about allowing our guests to come in costumes. He would really love it, but I fear that too many cons, over shine the pros. Some of my worries are guest not showing up to the church due to "getting ready", leaving early due to comfort, guests keeping the costumes tasteful; this is a wedding after all. And lastly security purposes, I wouldn't want strangers making their way into the wedding. I suggested that we provide some mask to make it more of a masquerade. Any suggestions?

Re: Halloween Wedding, to Costume or not to Costume?

• Options
    I think providing masks sounds cool. If you do this, I'd just spread them out on the tables at the reception. 

I wouldn't mention costumes for all the reasons that you stated and also because it would be dictating what people wear. Even if you say "optional", you're still proposing that people come in costume. If you want to host a costume party on your anniversary, that would be cool. For the sake of your wedding though, I'd just keep the theme "wedding".
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I love the providing masks idea. Even if you had "Costumes Welcome" or something similar on your invite, you'll have a ton of guests hesitant to dress up because they think no one else will, or who feel pressured to find a costume because they don't want to be the only one without one. Providing masks is  great compromise, that puts no pressure on your guests.

Are you getting married this Halloween? If not, you could probably hit up a ton of sales right after to stock up. Also, you'll probably want to have a mix of some that attach to the head via ribbon or string, and some that are on sticks so that people can participate if they wear glasses or have an updo or something.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Masks would be pretty cool. You could word it as a "Masquerade Ball" which should get across both the fun and the don't do the-Jason Voorhess, slutty everything and frog costumes.

Throw a sweet costume party on your anniversary.

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    Masks would be pretty cool. You could word it as a "Masquerade Ball" which should get across both the fun and the don't do the-Jason Voorhess, slutty everything and frog costumes.

Throw a sweet costume party on your anniversary.
    What chibi said!!!  The masks would be fantastic but could be costly depending on how many guests you have and if you're getting married this year or next.  As PP said, if it's 2014, hit up the post-Halloween sales this year, or see if you can find them wholesale. I would LOVE to attend a wedding like that!!
  • Options
    Last October I went to a wedding where everyone of the 200+ guests were in costume. The groomsmen were dressed as Wyatt Earp and crew and the bridesmaids were dressed as saloon girls. All the guests got to wear whatever costume they wanted. When we left at 11:45, the dance floor was still full and the outfits were spectacular!
  • Options
    WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    I would give guests the option of dressing but  make sure they know that it absolutely is not necessary. Then provide lots of masks and fun props for anyone and everyone to choose from.  I personally don't have a problem with the costume party aspect of it overpowering the wedding part.  Everyone knows it's a wedding and will still see you get married.  I would love to attend a costume wedding.   So much fun.

Ours wedding is November 2. Not exactly Halloween  but I'm still looking forward to being able to throw awesome Halloween parties for our anniversary in the future when that falls on the weekend before our actual date.
  • Options
    I love the idea of the guests wearing costumes to the wedding, but I guess it would be better in theory than reality. The costumes would be a little distracting. Maybe if you had a theme that everyone had to dress according to, it might help prevent people from showing up in ridiculous costumes. Anyway, providing masks for a masquerade sounds like a fantastic idea! It's probably best if you're trying to keep the wedding classy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards