Getting in Shape

Switching Up Workouts?

I bought the Jillian Michaels Hard Body DVD at Target last week.  I tried it for the first time Sunday and again this morning.  I am so sore!   Good sore though.

I've been walking and lifting pretty regularly since about May and I was surprised that this video beat me up so much.  Goes to show it's always good to switch things ups!  

What are some things you guys have done to switch up your workouts?
We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 

Re: Switching Up Workouts?

• ohhh!! I saw the DVD and I've been wanting it. I might have to grab it now!

I've been trying my hand at targeting certain muscle groups each day... but I'm not particularly a fan of it. I like doing a little bit of everything to keep me from getting too tired/bored. I think I just get cranky because I'm not particularly strong yet, so when I do muscle groups I'm weakest in, I get tired much faster and don't feel like I'm getting the most out of it, even if I do the same amount of work.
  • I just started Insanity. I had been going to the gym doing weight training and cardio (stairmaster or treadmill) about 5 times a week. I think starting any new program is a good thing because it creates muscle confusion and helps break through a plateau. I love Jillian Michaels workouts! They are not too long and kick your butt!
  • I do CrossFit 4-6 days a week, and run 5-6 days a week as well.  CrossFit varies the muscle groups I work, and I break up my running with 2 days of track work (repeats, for example, this morning I did 5x1000m) and 3-4 days of longer runs (5-10 miles).  I don't always hit 6 running days, but if I don't, I try to do another run in the afternoon to augment my morning run.  I think the track workouts have helped me the most (in combination with eating right of course).
  • I've enjoyed running for awhile, but I felt like I was plateau-ing this summer compared to the results I saw last year. A friend introduced me to a new gym that's just classes, no equipment, and there I started doing Body Pump twice and Insanity twice a week. I still try to get at least one good run in on weekend mornings when I have more time, but I am really loving these new classes and they are quite challenging. Since it's only $40/month for unlimited classes, I occasionally do Zumba and Piyo (a Pilates/yoga combo) when I have extra time. Classes are a lot more motivating for me than DVDs at home where no one will see if I slack off. My little sis teaches Pilates and my mom has been an avid Pilates fan for years, so it's part of our family bonding time when I fly back home to visit--and if my sis screaming "Come on, you've got a wedding coming up!" isn't a good enough motivator, seeing my 59-year-old mother doing chin-ups and other things I can only dream of at this point does the trick!

•  

I just started Insanity. I had been going to the gym doing weight training and cardio (stairmaster or treadmill) about 5 times a week. I think starting any new program is a good thing because it creates muscle confusion and helps break through a plateau. I love Jillian Michaels workouts! They are not too long and kick your butt!

I just started Insanity as well, and its really kicking my butt--especially all the push-up variations! Never thought I'd be so relieved to hear an air horn...

• @Aray82...UGH the 8 push up series are so hard for me. I can already tell I'm improving but they are not pretty LOL
  • I've been looking on Group-on for cheap kick-boxing classes and adding those in to my regular works outs. They are fun and help me not get bored!

I've also been trying to vary my running by doing trail runs instead of just my usual routes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards