Getting in Shape

How can I still loose weight while injured?! Help!

Hey everyone! 
My wedding is 7 months out and I am in desperate need for help! I got the bridalicious boot camp dvds, and I literally did one video when my previous achillies tendonitis injury started kicking up again.  My right heel is so sore, I am supposed to take it really easy, elevate it and ice it regularly, so its making it such a pain to get any workouts in! Not only that, but I have a good amount of weight I want gone before the wedding. Like minimum 30-40 pounds! If anyone has any ideas or special tricks they know of that I can do while I am healing please let me know! Anything helps!

Thank you!
Sheri

Re: How can I still loose weight while injured?! Help!

• Do you have access to a rowing machine?  That is low impact but good cardio (and makes your arms look awesome).

Swimming is also good if you have a pool you can use.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Oh, and weight loss is more about diet than exercise (but that has its own benefits obviously).
  • Sure do! Have an LA fitness membership.  I've never used a rowing machine, usually do the elliptical for cardio, sounds like a good alternative.  I am watching my diet. No fast food, lots of protein and veggies, but unless I am sweating I really don't seem to see results. Its always been that way with my body. :( I'll definitely check out the rowing machine, since my arms and back are my main concern with my strapless dress. Thank you!
  • Sheri1102 said:
    Sure do! Have an LA fitness membership.  I've never used a rowing machine, usually do the elliptical for cardio, sounds like a good alternative.  I am watching my diet. No fast food, lots of protein and veggies, but unless I am sweating I really don't seem to see results. Its always been that way with my body. :( I'll definitely check out the rowing machine, since my arms and back are my main concern with my strapless dress. Thank you!

The rowing machine is my favorite cardio.  It helps with the arms, shoulders, back and your abs to a certain extent. 

A trick I invented (well probably not, but I don't see anyone else do it) is this...  Every minute or whatever interval you can remember, switch your grip on the bar from palms down to palms up.  This will help work your biceps and triceps in alternating segments.

You should be able to adjust the resistance, so don't give up too quickly if it is too "hard".

• Sounds awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. This is the first time I've posted anything on here since I've been engaged and its really nice to get someone else's advice!
  • When my knees act up I use the sit down bike, low impact and still a good workout!  I read somewhere that 3 miles on the bike is equal to 1 mile walking/running.
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • good to know! thanks!
  • When I had tendonitis in my Achilles, obviously I was supposed to rest it when it was at its worst, but I was also told to exercise it to the best of my ability. You were specifically told to not use it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Weights! If you can stand without pain, you should be able to lift.  Building muscle helps you burn more calories at rest, so combined with a good diet, it would help you lose the weight without any super strenuous activity.
  • It sounds like you are on the right track with diet. I would suggest making sure you are eating several times a day. I was eating 3 meals and since I've upped it to 5 smaller meals I have had a change because my metabolism is speeding up. 

Swimming, rowing machine, stationary bike and weights will get you a good overall workout! Adding in weight workouts helped me lose weight opposed to just cardio. You will get stronger and building the lean muscle will help you burn fat/calories faster. 
  • Great! Thanks everyone!
  • Watching your diet is different than counting calories.

Count calories (or points Weight-Watchers style, if that works better for you).

I'm not kidding. Use an app on your phone or a food journal to track every bite of food.

I was on a 1,400 calorie a day diet for weight loss, and trimmed up quite a bit for my wedding despite having a broken foot.

• I've got achilles issues too-one leg is worse than the other, and actually burns when I first start running.  That makes it all the more important to take the time to warm up-I do a lot of track intervals and CrossFit workouts, and I'm positive I would injure my achilles badly if I didn't take the time to properly warm up.  For me, that's minimum mile run (slowly) and then stretching both achilles numerous times (sometimes I stretch, jump rope, stretch again).  Unless you're specifically told by a doc not to use it, don't be afraid to get moving.  It hurts, but if you ease into it and warm up/stretch properly, and listen to your body once you're exercising, you should stay safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards