Registry and Gift Forum

On the verge.....

My fiance and I are on a very tight budget and also the only ones funding our wedding. As life happens (mostly unlucky) we've are getting to the point of just eloping instead. We know with eloping many items you would have in a wedding (invitations, reception, etc.) but my fiance brought up a good question, do we still send out a gift registry? 

Re: On the verge.....

• The only person that would send out a gift registry is the hostess of your bridal shower. However, the only people invited to a bridal shower would be those guests invited to your wedding. If you choose to elope, then you forego any shower. There are many ways to have a budget friendly wedding. Before you abandon the idea completely, you might want to read some of the posts on the Budget/DIY Wedding board.
  • We were not planning a bridal party. There are no bridesmaids or maid of honor nor groomsmen. 
  • My fiance and I are on a very tight budget and also the only ones funding our wedding. As life happens (mostly unlucky) we've are getting to the point of just eloping instead. We know with eloping many items you would have in a wedding (invitations, reception, etc.) but my fiance brought up a good question, do we still send out a gift registry? 

I don't understand. I've never heard of this "sending out a gift registry". Where did that come from?
  • We were not planning a bridal party. There are no bridesmaids or maid of honor nor groomsmen. 
    No one has a bridal party if they plan on eloping. What does this information have to do with my response?
  • Maybe that if there is no bridal party, it would be less likely somebody would offer to host a shower?  Not sure...
  • You should not send out anything if you are eloping, except for possibly announcements after you elope and those would never contain registry information. PPs are correct -- the only time you "send out" registry info is with an invitation to a bridal shower, which you realize you would forgo if you elope.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • You never send out registry information no matter what kind of wedding you have.  

You can register if you want.  If people ask, then you tell them where.  However, with an elopement and no guests, it's really unlikely that anyone would want to buy you a gift.  The registry is not needed.  
  • I would still make a small registry if eloping.  We had a fairly large wedding (invited around 300) and actually got gifts from some people we didn't invite.  You can send out announcements immediately after you return from your elopement.  Most won't send gifts, but a few people might.  A small registry would guide those few people.  I know I would send a gift to a close friend who eloped (I have in the past, actually), but not an acquaintance or somebody at the office, etc.

Whatever you do, do NOT send out those tacky registry enclosure cards.  If people feel moved to send you a gift without being invited, let them be moved to do that on their own instead of prompting them.

Do not expect to receive much if you elope.  Frankly, couples should never expect anything, but we all know that larger weddings typically result in more gifts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards