Outdoor Weddings

disgusting trendy wedding- Please help!

Just started planning a wedding that is taking place in 2 months in Anza Borrego Desert. Bought all our mixed matched china, vintage cheese boxes for succulent center pieces, mason jars (we are powered by generators so natural light is needed for large property). My wonderful, she truly is, MIL just "surprised" us with 100 feet of burlap... 100'!

My FI and I really didn't want a trendy rustic/shabby themed wedding but it is turning o/to be one. It's planned for my bridal party to wear boots or cowgirl boots because it fits our location but...

I have to make what I have work, any ideas how I can twist this up so it's not a disgusting trendy wedding!? We are so far from the trend, lol!

Re: disgusting trendy wedding- Please help!

• Also, if everything you have picked out is something that you love rather then something that follows a certain trend then you aren't being trendy, you are being you.  Are mason jars and burlap a big thing right now?  Sure.  But things always go in and out of style.  Don't let the fact that what you like happens to be trend now make you not want to have the wedding style you love.

Just look at my wedding dress.  It is one shoulder.  That was a big trend when I got married a for a year or so after.  I did not pick the dress because it was a trend, I picked it because I loved it.  Did I give a crap if people thought I was being "trendy"? No, because I was happy with my choice and knew why I picked and that was not to stay in style with a trend.

• Maggie0829 I'm a weenie, not using burlap involves hurting feeling- haha! Any suggestions on shoes... Heels will not work, venue is not changing.
  • Maggie0829 I'm a weenie, not using burlap involves hurting feeling- haha! Any suggestions on shoes... Heels will not work, venue is not changing.
    Wedges are always a great alternative.  That way they will still give you a casual vibe that the boots will give but look way better and are more appropriate with a dress.

• Well put! Your wedding pic with your MOH is beautiful!
  • Oh and an idea for the burlap, why not use it as an aisle runner if it is wide enough?  That way you can use it all in one spot.  And then you can use rocks from around your area as a way to keep the burlap from blowing away.  Just place some rocks along the edges every 2 feet or so.

• Ditto Maggie on the wedges.

Can you use the burlap as an aisle runner or for cocktail hour? Or just don't use it and say you couldn't figure out how to work it in. Do you have a random household project you could use it for (eg. table cloth for patio furniture, frame it like a canvas and paint it)?

• As far as wedges go, ya don't think someone will break their neck!? I'm talking dirt & rocks... no concrete or grass.

Yes, I can use the burlap at home. So many cool projects ideas come to mind! I'm sure I can manage a runner for isle or bar. Ok, I'm feeling a little better. Thanks!

• As far as wedges go, ya don't think someone will break their neck!? I'm talking dirt & rocks... no concrete or grass.

Yes, I can use the burlap at home. So many cool projects ideas come to mind! I'm sure I can manage a runner for isle or bar. Ok, I'm feeling a little better. Thanks!

Well you don't have to go with super high wedges.  You can find nice wedges with a 1-2 inch heel to them.  Heck you could even have them wear ballet flats.

I mean I understand that the location may be rocky but hopefully you aren't trying to have your BMs scale across boulders or super uneven ground while they walk down the aisle.

• I regularly wander around in 3-4inch wedges over gravel. Wedges, to me, are usually much more stable-feeling than heels.

You could even do some strappy leather sandles.

• Have you asked your girls what they would be most comfortable in?  I mean they don't have to all be in the same type of shoe.  You could just be like, well the location is this and I want you all to wear black shoes.  I think as long as they know the terrain and the color you want then they could figure out what would be best and most comfortable for them.

• Just started planning a wedding that is taking place in 2 months in Anza Borrego Desert. Bought all our mixed matched china, vintage cheese boxes for succulent center pieces, mason jars (we are powered by generators so natural light is needed for large property). My wonderful, she truly is, MIL just "surprised" us with 100 feet of burlap... 100'!

My FI and I really didn't want a trendy rustic/shabby themed wedding but it is turning o/to be one. It's planned for my bridal party to wear boots or cowgirl boots because it fits our location but...

I have to make what I have work, any ideas how I can twist this up so it's not a disgusting trendy wedding!? We are so far from the trend, lol!

Accidentally misplace the burlap - or sew feed bags for horses since that's what burlap is for.

Return the mason jars or learn how to can fruit/vegetables. Get something else.

Your BMs can wear flats. Or flat sandles.
    *********************************************************************************

• Flats or flat sandals would work fine.  Also, if the burlap really isn't your thing, tell your fiance and then you and him can talk to your MIL about it.  You could say "Thank you so much but burlap doesn't really fit with our vision for the wedding".  Don't worry about hurting her feelings. 
  • I'm such an asshole, I need to be thankful and grateful for a wedding. Don't let this shit get to your head!
  • I know popular opinion on here is that cowboy boots will never ever ever EVER (amen) look good with formal attire...and for a formal wedding dress, I completely agree.  However, my best friend had a very casual Wyoming backyard wedding surrounded by mountains and sage, and she wore a beautiful 40s-style silk print wrap dress with a pair of custom made cowboy boots, and she looked fucking fantastic.  They sometimes work, brilliantly. 

Jars can be fine, I think (I'm going to get shot for this post, for realz). We used vintage blue jars because it was me...I'm an archaeologist who gets her kicks recording historic sites, and I collect vintage glassware, and it worked.  We put a bit of lavender at the bottom and set a votive candle into the lavender, and scattered them amongst the centerpieces and special tables.  We also did a few with solar lights inset into the top into canning lid rings to provide outdoor light. You know what?  It looked great.  I don't understand the compulsion to tell me people they must either use mason jars to can or GTFO... it's trendy, sure.  So if your dress, your color scheme, everything. Most weddings look dated in 10 years. That's just how it works.

I draw the line at burlap, sorry.  Maybe a horrible bonfire accident?

• We chose these b/c I am making a shelf out of them after our wedding and replanting the succulents in our yard.

@robloveshallie - You don't even know what your comment "to each her own" is if you don't know what the hell they are! Google is your friend.

• edited September 2013

@maggie0829 I'm so wearing wedges for the ceremony, love it! When the band starts playing you can bet your ass my boots will be on, lol! It's me, it's us, it's the desert, it just fits. BM's are on their own, whatever tickles their heart.

Weddings are overrated... and beautiful. Don't get me wrong I'm super duper excited b/c My FI and I have waited 8 years for this, but in the end it will all be so much more than we ever imagined. I hope no one will be judging me b/c I'm wearing boots. If they do, well, I will kill those fuckers with kindness! .. And then make them kiss my boots - kidding.

• @nannersbanners - I fully support you changing into boots for your reception.  I am a big supporter in wearing comfortable ass shoes for the party portion.  I switched over to wedged flip flops because 1) my feet were dying in my heels and 2) I didn't want to be in pain for my entire reception.  I just think that for the ceremony and some of the more formal pictures, dressier shoes are more appropriate. But for some fun pictures and the party portion, rock out in your boots!

• Do not wear cowgirl boots because of location. Disagree that boots NEVER look good with BM dresses. I'm a country girl, I wear my boots allll the time! In fact, my favorite outfit is a dress and boots. If you have the right dress, it can look hot! But if its not YOU, then absolutely dont do it. For the burlap, don't be rustic if you dont want to be! I guess I'm just not afraid to tell someone hey, this isn't the feel im going for but thanks.
  • @scribe95- Being that most people associate the desert being cold in November, the days are very warm so we are mailing weather cards. I will be including details about venue so our guest can be well prepared for this weekend wedding.

@shelyg89- I'm with you girl! My BM will be in boots... Me, probably wedges and boots :)

• If you're in a rural mountain state, cowboy boots with formal dresses are considered normal. They look "funny," but nobody really bats an eyelash. If, however, you are not getting married in the country, it really does look silly. Wedges or ballerina flats work just fine outdoors. :-)
  • LOL this is really funny. Love the "bonfire accident" with the burlap!

I went to a wedding last summer and I literally made fun of it all night saying "pinterest threw up in here!!" It was people my fiance grew up with so I didn't know them and he isn't very close to them anymore so he didn't mind me making fun of them (obviously I only said it to him, not other guests!) But seriously, it was a Pinterest HIPSTER paradise with chalk board menus, mason jars with striped straws, a homemade hula hoop Christmas light chandelier, you name it!

A few trneds are fine but try not to over-do it....unless you SAID you wanted burlap, I'm sure she won't be that offended by you not using it. Throw in some things are totally scream YOU like for instance everyone knows I'm obsessed with popcorn and will not share my popcorn, so I'm renting a popcorn machine! It might seem to not go with the "theme" but people will definitely smile and say that is so her (and not that is so pinterest).

• I disagree about the boots with the bridesmaid dresses.  But then again, I don't plan on using run of the mill bridesmaid dresses and will more than likely be choosing casual knee length dresses in similar colors off store racks. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards