Favors

DIY or real thing? Glass etching/engrave

We are wanting to get our names and wedding date put on mason jars and have everyone use those for their drinks for the evening and then take them home as party favors. Everywhere I've looked online is super expensive. Is there anyway I could do this myself or would it make more sense to just order them?

Thanks!

Re: DIY or real thing? Glass etching/engrave

• Sounds like an awesome favor idea.

If it were me I'd order them. Glass etching can be kind of intense. Have you tried the the wedding shop? Sometimes you can find personalization for free.

• How many guests are you having?  That may be a lot to take on depending on the number of favors you would have to make.  Also, I am not sure if all the guests would want a mason jar with you and your husband's name and wedding date.
    http://jenwoodhouse.com/blog/2012/08/08/diy-etched-glass/  <- Just a sort of how to.
  • I would not take a mason jar with your name and wedding date on it. Especially since it will be wet and dirty when I have to take it home. Seems like a waste of time and money to me.

• Sembree1 said:
    We are wanting to get our names and wedding date put on mason jars and have everyone use those for their drinks for the evening and then take them home as party favors. Everywhere I've looked online is super expensive. Is there anyway I could do this myself or would it make more sense to just order them?

Thanks!
    Most people do not want something engraved with your name/info on it in their home.  I would not take this favor home.  I strongly suggest you reconsider that idea. 

Also, I'll be honest, even if were not engraved, I probably would still not take home unless it included a lid so I could use it for storage.

Keep in mind, favors are optional.  And if you do opt for them, edible is the most crowd-pleasing.
  • I still don't get how it's a popular "thing" now to drink out of jars.

Do people really keep cupboards full of jars for drinking out of at home?

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    @itzMs - I don't get it either.  I saw someone at a party drinking wine out of this.  Klassy.
  • I think the popularity of it depends on where youre from. It's something people where we live have done for years, and it's just been passed down through the generations. We aren't about everything matching and such, it's for function. Mason jars are multi-use and can be drank out of and reused, so why pay $5 a glass? It's just how we do it where I'm from......That's why I asked suggestions on making vs buying, not opinions on the product itself. Thanks:)
  • Sembree1 said:
    I think the popularity of it depends on where youre from. It's something people where we live have done for years, and it's just been passed down through the generations. We aren't about everything matching and such, it's for function. Mason jars are multi-use and can be drank out of and reused, so why pay $5 a glass? It's just how we do it where I'm from......That's why I asked suggestions on making vs buying, not opinions on the product itself. Thanks:)
    Why must you have the mason jars personalized?  I don't want a Jane -n- Bob mason jar in my cabinet.  Saves you money too!
  • And they are still going to be dirty and wet when guests are supposed to take them.

If you are stuck on this, don't personalize them. And it would be great to have some sort of a bag or something waterproof for your guests to put them in at the end of the night so they aren't having to deal with dripping wet mason jars.

• If it weren't engraved I at least would take it home to use in canning.  If it were engraved I'd be leaving it at the wedding.

• If you're still looking for an answer to your question...It's up to you if you want to spend the time DIYing, but I've used something called Armour Etch before to 'etch' designs on glass.  It's pretty cool, the only difficult thing you would need to get a hold of is a stencil with what you want etched on the glasses, and then you would only be able to do one at a time if you only had one stencil.  Mason jars are cheap if you buy them yourself, and not from a website with the word "wedding" in it.  
    I used armor etch to make custom mugs for christmas gifts one year-- I bought plain glass mugs and made designs on them with painter's tape, and then put the armour etch on.  You follow the instructions, leaving it on for a certain amount of time, remove the tape or stencil, and wash the stuff off, and you have your design in the glass!  Personally, getting the stencil seems like the hardest thing.
    Maybe just get the mason jars yourself, and tie a nice ribbon around it, with a paper tag with the info you want on it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards