January 2014 Weddings

1/4/14 coming up freaking out!

ladiijulietteladiijuliette member
First Comment
edited September 2013 in January 2014 Weddings

I just got engaged on 8/18/13, we've booked our date with the venue which we are both in love with. I have my dress and my fiancée knows what suit he will wear. We are having a close family and friends 100 guests brunch event. Due to the month and season ive settled on metallic colors-silvers, golds, bronze etc. my dress is a Theia silver blue lace fit and flare dress- fell in love with it the moment I laid eyes on it.

Im having THE hardest time deciding on what to have my three bridesmaids wear though! HELP! I know this is a winter month, and a daytime event, but I just don't know what material, length, or silhouttes to dress these girls in! I know im not having your typical wedding, I actually want them to wear dresses that are different styles and possibly wear again....any suggestions as where to shop/look? ideas? Below is a link of my dress, any ideas or photos would be sooooo greatly appreciated!!

http://pinterest.com/pin/331507222541937759/

Re: 1/4/14 coming up freaking out!

• Congrats on your engagement!

As for bm dresses, I told my girls what color (ice blue) and the length (floor length) and told them to find their dress. They all really enjoying having the freedom to pick our their own dresses and are all very happy with their choices. And somehow - they all chose VERY similar dresses.
  • I'm a fellow 1/4/14 bride! But we've only been engaged since April so it's coming up fast! We are beyond happy though!

Your dress is beautiful! I'd say the girls can wear whatever they feel comfortable in. I told them the color and either tea length or floor length. Our wedding will be around 3-8. If you are having a brunch I would say go with tea length. Floor length seems more night time-ish to me.   Maybe they can wear black? Or even a metallic color if you wish. It's your wedding, do what you like!
  • What about navy blue?  It is a softer color and will play well against the metallic color.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • My girls are wearing Mori Lee Affairs black lace dresses. The one dress comes in 6 different styles! They only come in white or black lace, but my girls loved them and all have another event lined up to wear them at. Just a suggestion and here is a link to the collection:

http://www.morilee.com/Bridesmaids/affairs/31001
    http://www.morilee.com/Bridesmaids/affairs/31002
    http://www.morilee.com/Bridesmaids/affairs/31003
    http://www.morilee.com/Bridesmaids/affairs/31004
    http://www.morilee.com/Bridesmaids/affairs/31005
    http://www.morilee.com/Bridesmaids/affairs/31006

• Thanks for your suggestion. My MOH picked a green floor length dress which shes ecstatic about and I am too....BUT I want the other two bridesmaid in short dresses, possibly other colors....I was actually thinking navy blue or eggplant...ugh I don't know how to make them agree on anything.
  • those mori Lee dresses are fanstastic! But since my dress is lace I don't want them in lace too :-/
  • I am also a 1/4/14 bride. I am doing navy blue because it is more of a winter color, but it is pretty and elegant. I did the guys in charcoal tuxes with navy blue vests, ties, and pocket squares with white undershirts. I am really excited on how it is all coming together. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks for your suggestion. My MOH picked a green floor length dress which shes ecstatic about and I am too....BUT I want the other two bridesmaid in short dresses, possibly other colors....I was actually thinking navy blue or eggplant...ugh I don't know how to make them agree on anything.
    Purple (eggplant) and green are actually complimentary colors so you could do those together as long as the shade was similar.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • i'm also getting married on 1/4/14!

i know i don't know your bridesmaids, but i think "making them agree" might totally depend on what you do ahead of time to kind of steer the situation your way...

why not floor length green for all 3?

my bridesmaids are wearing chianti satin floor length gowns from W Too. i don't think there are any specific rules that you have to follow, and i really like your metallic color scheme.

i was also somewhat uncertain about what I wanted my bridesmaids to wear, especially because my girls are very dissimilar in body type, height and style. more than anything, i really want all of them to be happy and comfortable on my wedding day. you hear so many stories about bridesmaids who are forced to wear something uncomfortable, that they didn't really like...

Here's what I did: first, I picked a color. I already had a color scheme in mind (ivory, dark red, silver and gold) and decided that I wanted to focus on the dark red for my bridesmaids. Then I booked appointments at 4 or 5 boutiques and dress shops and I let each place know what I was looking for, focusing on color, length and price range. I searched each boutique's website to find out what designers they carried, and found specific dress models that I particularly liked, that came in the color that I was looking for. I included the identifying information for my favorites in my emails to the shops, so they would be able to help me out a little bit ahead of time by pulling out some of my favorites.

When we got to the first appointment, the price range, dress length and color had already been discussed, so there wasn't any awkwardness or surprises about the details that really mattered to me.then i went around the shop with my girls, pulling out things that we liked for about 20 minutes. then they tried on the dresses, and we talked about what we liked and didn't like.

i have to admit-- I have been extremely lucky throughout all of my shopping trips, from my own dress to the girls', to shopping for my fiance... no shopping-related tears or arguments. we found a dress that everybody liked really quickly, and cancelled all of our other appointments. say yes to the dress: bridesmaids edition makes it seem impossible, but it's really not!

i can only hope that your shopping experience is fun and stress-free! i'm sure you have wonderful bridesmaids who are happy for you and respectful of your wishes on your special day. all of my worries about forcing my girls into wearing red, strapless dresses went away, and yours can, too.

have fun! and place those orders soon!
  • One more  1/4/14!
  • Another Jan 4, 14 here!
  • UPDATE: all the girls have dresses! Settled on green. MOH is wearing floor length strapless chiffon, another will be wearing a short sleeve dress in a lighter shade of green, and the third will wear a halter dress in a minty green. I'm so happy!! I told them if leave it up to them to get some rocking shoes and accessories and I know my girls will look good and pull through! So glad this is over with! Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and advice! 1/4/14 brides WE GOT THIS! No matter how long or short your planning time has been!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards