Students

Computer Graphics/Video Game Design (Is it really a good career field?)

I'm a student at a local community college and plan to get my AAS in Computer Graphics.Lately I've had some doubts as to if this is what I really want from college. I know for sure that I like graphical things, and love artsy stuff. From the photoshop POV, though, not so much into PS. I would really like to do something that deals with graphics of video game and design. I know its almost similar, but different in a few ways. Anyone out there that is in this current field, and can give me some insight on it? It would be greatly appreciated! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Computer Graphics/Video Game Design (Is it really a good career field?)

• I'm not currently out in the field, but I've done a lot of research in the field if that counts for anything...Honestly, degrees specifically in Graphics or Video Game Design are not nearly as helpful as something a little more generalized like Computer Science or Digital Art. There are a lot of people out there that want to be able to design games, but not that many people that are knowledgeable enough and have the foundation to design great games, because you need that background in programming/physics/design to be able to make great games. Plus, something like Computer Science can go a lot of directions and in this job market, it's actually still in high demand. 

But, something to weight is are you more interested in getting a degree to get a job or getting a degree to learn something new. I'm all for someone getting a degree in something that they enjoy, even if it doesn't land them an awesome job...do what you love and then you never have to work a day in your life. But if you're looking to land a great job, I would go with something more like Computer Science.

P.s. As an aside, if you love graphical/artsy things on the computer and you haven't already, check out the programming language Processing (http://www.processing.org). It's a java based language designed for artists and is really easy to pick up/learn to program with...I really enjoyed playing with it. :)

Best of luck with your decision!
  • Thanks! I will definitely consider all of that. I was wanting more of a degree in that field because I loved it and also wanted a decent paying job. Ill check out that website and my college to see what I should do next, thank you so much! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards