Getting in Shape
Options

Dress shopping advice?

Hi guys :)  I am new here and would appreciate a bit of advice.
I am 55 kgs and 166 cm, and i would really like to lose another 3-5 kgs before my wedding which is 11 months away. 
I may also end up toning up a bit which mean not so much weight loss, but a drop in dress size (current: 8-10, desired:6)

So my question is, what happens if i pick a dress then lose a size?  how long before my wedding do i need my last fitting, and what happens if i then gain back a kilo or two?!  i am really nervous about it as i have not been dieting for ages and ages - i've been the same weight for years and years without any significant gain or loss. So very nervous about it, my current strategy is just to eat a calorie controlled diet (but anything within that because i dont want to restrict cakes ;)) of 1300 cals and exercise a bit more.

Any thoughts?  

Re: Dress shopping advice?

• Options
    The usual I hear is to allow 2 to 3 months between your first and last fitting. Altering a dress is sometimes unpredictable with timing and what actually needs to be done. When I bought my dress, it fit right off the rack and all I needed was to add the bustle (I bought my dress a whole year and a half before my wedding!). My wedding is now only 2 weeks away and even with gaining 12lbs my dress still fits! I got lucky there but I know not all dresses fit like that for everyone. I would say about 3 months before to schedule your first fitting and I believe you'll have about two more fittings after that, I think!! Good luck with your weight loss journey and congrats!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    EMT22 said:
    Hi guys :)  I am new here and would appreciate a bit of advice.
    I am 55 kgs and 166 cm, and i would really like to lose another 3-5 kgs before my wedding which is 11 months away. 
    I may also end up toning up a bit which mean not so much weight loss, but a drop in dress size (current: 8-10, desired:6)

So my question is, what happens if i pick a dress then lose a size?  how long before my wedding do i need my last fitting, and what happens if i then gain back a kilo or two?!  i am really nervous about it as i have not been dieting for ages and ages - i've been the same weight for years and years without any significant gain or loss. So very nervous about it, my current strategy is just to eat a calorie controlled diet (but anything within that because i dont want to restrict cakes ;)) of 1300 cals and exercise a bit more.

Any thoughts?  
    I would say start using an app like MyFitnessPal. It will help with calorie tracking, keeping you on track and you dont want to cut too many calories as you will just deprive your body of nutrients, lose the weight, but if you go back to the way you are eating now it will come right back.

Corset back dresses also help in this case. Have fun trying on dresses. Start working out and eating better now. :) 11 months is a lot of time to get on and off the band wagon. I was engaged for 10 months, in that time I dropped two dress sizes.
  • Options

I had my first fitting end of July, my 2nd one last week and my 3rd one will be on the 24th (hopefully the last!). Wedding is Oct. 5th. Not sure if this is normal for a fittings timeline though?

Also I have a corset back to my dress so if I gain/lose a couple pounds the dress can be adjusted slightly by that (I will be telling my MOH to pull it as tight as she can on the wedding day! hehe)

Good luck with the weight loss! :)

• Options
    Just remember, a dress can be taken in, but rarely let out.  Buy for your body now, because you don't know.  My best friend bought her dress smaller, then had an asthma flair 2 weeks before the wedding, and you guessed it - steroid bloat!!   Luckily she had a corset back and was able to put material behind it to make it fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards