Outdoor Weddings

Outdoor ceremony--Is it weird not to have music?

We are getting married in a public park.  We have an hour and fifteen minutes booked which includes picture taking time.  The ceremony will be twenty minutes max.  I never even thought of having music until a friend that is getting married mentioned her plans. Is it weird not to have music going down the aisle?  I can't imagine paying a live musician, and I think anything through speakers would be really lame.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Outdoor ceremony--Is it weird not to have music?

• I personally would want music. Otherwise, you're looking at a lot of silence. Prelude music is also nice.

Live musicians don't have to be expensive. Call your local high school and university and see if they have a string quartet available. I used to play in weddings like yours all the time; for 30 minutes, we'd charge maybe $100.

Otherwise, look and see how hooking up a sound system would work. Music from a subletly placed speaker is fine IMHO.

• We had an outdoor wedding and hooked up speakers. We did it as an add-on service with our DJ. He came and set up two speakers. We gave him the music we wanted to play for the processional and recessional. He also set up a mic for our readers and gave our officiant a lapel mic. The sound was quite good. The add-on cost us about $200 I think. The ceremony was not in the same location as the reception, so they had to have additional equipment, another staff person, etc. Otherwise it would have been cheaper.

IMHO there's nothing worse than not being able to hear a ceremony and the vows (which are usually softly spoken). I'd be more worried about that than music. 
    *********************************************************************************

• We are getting married in a public park.  We have an hour and fifteen minutes booked which includes picture taking time.  The ceremony will be twenty minutes max.  I never even thought of having music until a friend that is getting married mentioned her plans. Is it weird not to have music going down the aisle?  I can't imagine paying a live musician, and I think anything through speakers would be really lame.
    Are you having a DJ at your reception?  If so, he may be able to set you up with music for a small, extra fee.
  • You know it is missing! Music adds so much. Mia, from the venue, fired her DJ within an hour of my daughters wedding, and it was so awkward not having music. There is nothing that stirs the heart more, than to hear the music and know the beautiful bride is about to unite with her groom! Hire a guitar player, even having someone turn on a CD player would be better than nothing.

• Our solo guitarist for our cocktail hour only charges $75 per hour.   It's such a low amount that it makes sense to just find someone.  It would be kind of odd to have no music at all,  IMO.
  • We also didn't have music at our wedding, and we were the only ones who had to walk down the aisle. So we walked out, and the ceremony started, and then when it was over, we kissed and then mingled with our guests. It wasn't weird at all.
  • Thanks for the input everyone!  @Schatzi13, Yes, public park for quick ceremony and then the guests leave for cocktail hour elsewhere.  I'll be honest I hadn't even thought of whether we're doing a processional, so I guess I need to go figure that out.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @lizpanjian- I haven't read any other posts but... If you don't have speakers how are your guest  going to hear the ceremony? Contact your local party rental store for a PA system (I was able to get 2 speakers, mic, stands & IPOD adapter for for $150. You pick up on Friday and drop off on Monday.

This way your guest can hear and that aww moment sets in as you walk down the isle... the music ties it all together lady :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards