Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Wedding Party seated during Ceremony?

Hi everyone! I am having an outdoor ceremony. We are having about 140 guests.
What I am wondering is, has anyone had their wedding party sit during the ceremony? We are having 5-7 bridesmaids and groomsmen. I just want to see what all of my options are. Is this apporiate to have them be seated? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Party seated during Ceremony?

• Absolutely fine to have them seated. If you're having a processional, they can just take their seats after getting to the end of the walk.

For FBIL's wedding, all the wedding party was seated, except for MOH and BM. The reason why they were standing is because BM had to hand the rings, and MOH had to hold the bouquet.
  • At Catholic weddings, a lot of time only the honor attendants stand up with the bride and groom, and the rest of the WP is seated in the first pew. So yes, I have seen it done and didn't find it odd at all. I wouldn't see any issue with having them seated. But perhaps consider having your honor attendants up there with you. It would be nice to have someone to hold your flowers/straighten your train and to hang onto your rings.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • FI's BM (and father) has a hard time standing for long periods of time so we are having them all sit. I would have liked for them to stand but I want him to be comfortable and it would look weird if he were the only one sitting.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At every Catholic wedding that I have attended, the MOH and best man have stood with the couple. The other members of the wedding party sat in the first row, women on one side, men on the other. It would be very awkward to have a large wedding party standing in front of the altar, during communion, along with the priest and altar servers.

At non Catholic weddings, I have seen the whole wedding party standing for the ceremony, which I think looks very nice. You should do whatever is practical for you.

• rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    Yep, we all sat. I'd say I see that 50/50 around here. My ceremony was 30min and with my arthritic ankles, there was no way I'd stand for that long & certainly wouldn't make my BP either. 
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    Ours stood during the vows, kiss, etc. but sat when we sat (during readings, prayers, homily) and sat during the register signing.  It would have been a long time (for all of us) to stand the entire time, and kind of awkward.
  • The only attendants I ever see stand during the ceremony are the BM and MOH.  The rest are seated.

When I was a BM, we were seated in the pews and the BM and MOH were up at the altar.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_wedding-party-seated-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:506c7e7a-ea11-44ac-afc6-e256986f3e0dPost:ba5399a3-9098-40ec-bfb5-b823be247d9a">Re: Wedding Party seated during Ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Absolutely fine to have them seated. If you're having a processional, they can just take their seats after getting to the end of the walk. For FBIL's wedding, all the wedding party was seated, except for MOH and BM. The reason why they were standing is because <strong><font color="#0000ff">BM had to hand the rings, and MOH had to hold the bouquet.
    </font></strong>Posted by doublenn[/QUOTE]

Hmm.  My honor attendant had H's ring, his honor attendant had my ring.  I don't think I've ever heard of the groom's best man having both rings.  Sorry, that was just a tangent ...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards