Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

unity xxxx ideas?

Hi there,
I'm looking for more ideas for the unity...thing. Unity candles are very traditional. I've seen unity sand, unity pb&j sandwich, and unity watering of a plant. Oh, and unity drinking of homemade booze. I would be inclined to do a traditional unity candle but fiance was previously married and suffice to say I wouldn't like to do anything he did his first time around. Anyone have fun ideas? Thanks!

Re: unity xxxx ideas?

• Options
    A wedding is by definition a unity ceremony. Why do you feel you need more?

We took communion together because it was meaningful to us, but if we hadn't, we wouldn't have had any kind of unity 'thing' besides the marriage itself.
  • Options
    What hobbies or interests do you share?

I am not a fan of "creative" or "unique" wedding things that are done just to be different. Pick something that is meaningful to the two of you.

Examples: you love traveling. Do a unity sand thing from beaches you've traveled to.

You like wine. Pick your favorites and use them.

You're book enthusiasts. Pick a book for each other and write a special note inside. Exchange them during the ceremony.

You enjoy cooking together. So a spice unity ceremony

You enjoy writing or are romantics, write letters to each other and place them in a bottle during the ceremony. Break the bottle and read them on your first anniversary.

Bottom line: I suggest doing something that reflects you as a couple. Don't feel like you "have" to do a unity ceremony of any kind if nothing pops out to you. The entire ceremony itself is unifying!
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    The only one thing I've kind of sort of liked was a Unity Painting. Google it.
  • Options
    I also like the tree ceremony, where you plant a tree with some soil from each family's houses or towns.
  • Options
    Not a "unity" thing, but an idea I saw on Pinterest that I liked was a "first fight box." The couple wrote notes to each other and put them in a box with a bottle of wine and then nailed the box shut at the ceremony. When they have their first fight as a married couple, they open the box, drink the bottle of wine, and read the notes they wrote to each other during a happier time.
  • Options
    Great ideas, thanks! I'll definitely consider these and run them by the fiance.  The painting is a really cool idea, but probably messy?

Yes, the pb&j sandwich- exactly how you described it. For a quirky couple it was really cute. I come from a crowd of traditional church weddings including unity candles so it was nice to see something different that spoke to their personalities.

• Options
    I agree with @Schatzi13.  Weddings are in and of themselves "unity ceremonies." 

There's no need for one of these rose, wine, candle, sand, etc. ceremonies unless it's something you really want to do.  If not, by all means don't do it.  Your ceremony will still be beautiful and special because it unites you and your FI.
  • Options
    We're doing a tree...something.  It isn't a tree planting, it's already planted.  We're watering the tree.  I love what a tree offers symbolically in comparison to a relationship -- a good foundation, constant nurturing, the roots, etc.  The minister is going to tie it all in.
  • Options
    Ours wasn't so much a "unity thing", but we did a ring warming during our ceremony.  The guests passed around our rings and said a prayer or good wishes over them, which the pastor explained we would carry with us into our marriage.  We loved it, we both have close families and it felt incredibly special to have them all play a small part in that.  And we got lots of compliments on it afterwards :)
  • Options
    The guest book and the ring warming are really great ideas too.  While I understand the whole ceremony is for unity, I do like the "something extra" element to that.  Thanks again!  

• Options

@ jenniferurs I saw this idea a couple years ago when I wasn't getting married. Do you remember what the "verse" was written on the back of the box?

love this, love this!

• Options
    jewely24  Did you pass it only to family or all your guests? How many guest did you have?
  • Options
    We aren't doing a "unity" anything, other than the entire ceremony of course. We are, taking some time to give our mothers roses.
  • Options
    I'm not really a fan of the unity candle. I get the symbolism, love is a flame, etc. But blowing it out after spending the ceremony explaining what the flame signifies doesn't quite sit right with me, lol. "This is your love for one another! Yay! Now blow it out." We'll be doing the sand thing. I like the idea behind it and I like having a memento from the ceremony to display. I'm sure every time I look at our sand-filled frame sitting on a shelf, I'll get the warm fuzzies. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jewely24 said:
    Ours wasn't so much a "unity thing", but we did a ring warming during our ceremony.  The guests passed around our rings and said a prayer or good wishes over them, which the pastor explained we would carry with us into our marriage.  We loved it, we both have close families and it felt incredibly special to have them all play a small part in that.  And we got lots of compliments on it afterwards :)
    I want to do this but I'm worried about the time it would take.  We will have about 75 guests and a portion of those are kids...  

My first thought was during the prelude, but then we may miss someone who would want to participate if they were late.

How did you do yours?
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I are doing a unity cross but it isn't so much about us as it is about our faith and how God made marriage and it should be a Christ centered union.
  • Options
    We're doing a wine ceremony - we're pouring 2 different wines into a glass and sharing it.
  • Options
    WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    We're drinking from a native American wedding vase.  We're both from New Mexico and this is a fairly standard tradition there.  The vase has two necks and the couple drinks from them at the same time after exchanging vows and rings.
  • Options
    I think I've seen versions of the ring warming where you have the rings out for people to touch as they walk in if there's not enough time to pass them all around. Still trying to decide what I want to do! I love the wine box and the idea of a "glowstick" ceremony too (combining the two liquids that make glowsticks glow.) I like ceremonies and rituals!
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    I are doing a unity cross but it isn't so much about us as it is about our faith and how God made marriage and it should be a Christ centered union.

My FI and I are doing this too! The cross I found will look great on the mantle or in the walkway later too, and will be an additional daily reminder of our vows to each other and God. :)
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:

My FI and I are doing this too! The cross I found will look great on the mantle or in the walkway later too, and will be an additional daily reminder of our vows to each other and God. :)
    Have you ordered yours yet?  We got the black and white one and it is much prettier in person than it is online.
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    AprilH81 said:

Have you ordered yours yet?  We got the black and white one and it is much prettier in person than it is online.
    Not yet. Did you get the one from David's Bridal? That's the one we were looking at. If not, where did you get yours? Other options would be awesome!
  • Options
    We are doing a Foot Washing. The first time around we did a unity candle and I knew I didnt want that this time! 
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• Options
    lauralee1723lauralee1723 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    We're doing a hand blessing ceremony, where we join hands and look into each other's eyes as our officiant/friend reads a hand blessing reading.

ETA: And @WonderRed, I'm from NM too! I live in Albuquerque! What a cool tradition to incorporate into your ceremony!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Put flowers in a vase

• Options
    AprilH81AprilH81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    AprilH81 said:
    AprilH81 said:

Not yet. Did you get the one from David's Bridal? That's the one we were looking at. If not, where did you get yours? Other options would be awesome!
    thefuturemrshawks No, we ordered straight from the company who makes them.  :)

• Options
    @AprilH81 Thank you so much!!! I am going to order the antique looking one! :)
  • Options
    @AprilH81 Thank you so much!!! I am going to order the antique looking one! :)
    You're welcome.  Make sure you order it soon enough.  They take about 6-8 weeks to arrive.
  • Options
    I already bought the Native American wedding vase. It was brown so I decided to paint it navy blue and ivory. There is a prayer that goes with it. I have to look that up.
  • Options
    My daughter did a "salt" ceremony as part of her wedding.  I wish I could remember the bible verse it goes back to.  But they mixed her salt with husbands salt and they would be together until their salt could be separated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards