Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Wedding gowns should not be tried first

According to old folks beliefs, brides should not try wearing their wedding gowns before the wedding ceremony. They believe that there will be a chance that the wedding might be cancel unexpectedly if the wedding gown was worn by the bride before the date of the wedding. Do you guys believe in such superstitious beliefs? I find it nonsense and totally crazy. How could we know if there is something wrong with the fitting of the gown if we don't try it beforehand? What do you think of this?

Re: Wedding gowns should not be tried first

• msgrinn said:
    According to old folks beliefs, brides should not try wearing their wedding gowns before the wedding ceremony. They believe that there will be a chance that the wedding might be cancel unexpectedly if the wedding gown was worn by the bride before the date of the wedding. Do you guys believe in such superstitious beliefs? I find it nonsense and totally crazy. How could we know if there is something wrong with the fitting of the gown if we don't try it beforehand? What do you think of this?
    What?  So does that mean that trying on wedding dresses is not acceptable?

Superstitions of any kind, IMO, are ridiculous and silly.  If people start managing their lives and marriages around superstitions then I think they need to seek counseling.

• I've never heard that one...  
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I've never heard that. I don't think anyone actually believes that. 
  • I've never heard that one before. Although I'm not a superstitious person at all.
  • No. I do not believe that. I think someone's feeding you a load of bologna. 

Not only because I did it and my wedding happened, but also because I've never met a bride who didn't try on her wedding dress before walking down the aisle in it. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Never heard of this one before.. ever...
  • I have heard of that one, actually. I think it's okay to wear it for fittings, but not as the final product until just before the ceremony.

Not that I believe in it, just that I have heard of it.

There seems to be a lot of superstitions surrounding weddings. If I believed in all of them, I'd spend my whole wedding day being paranoid that rain was going to ruin my marriage and not my fiance finding out that I'm a paranoid lunatic.
  • Such superstitions is very common especially in Asian countries. I don't believe on it too. Those kinds of belief are not proven yet and if it happened to some, maybe coincidence just played a role.
  • I have heard of that one, actually. I think it's okay to wear it for fittings, but not as the final product until just before the ceremony.

There seems to be a lot of superstitions surrounding weddings. If I believed in all of them, I'd spend my whole wedding day being paranoid that rain was going to ruin my marriage and not my fiance finding out that I'm a paranoid lunatic.
    I thought rain was supposed to be good luck?  Or is that what they tell brides to make them feel better if it rains on their wedding day?

• I've not heard this one, but I have heard that you should not let anyone else wear your engagement/wedding band until you are married. 

But, I must repeat the other posters, superstitions only create imaginary havoc.  Following a tradition(s) should be active decision you make, not a rule of life.
  • I've heard that you aren't supposed to try on the finished product before the day of, so you should leave a stitch in the hem undone, or a thread left to trim. Never heard of it until my Haitian alterations lady said it.

I don't buy into superstitions in general, and depending on culture they differ and conflict.
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest

I thought rain was supposed to be good luck?  Or is that what they tell brides to make them feel better if it rains on their wedding day?
    I don't know, it was just the first thing that popped into my head.
  • That's ridiculous! I can just imagine showing up with a safety pinned and falling off dress because it's the wrong size and you were too superstitious to prepare. At the very least you should have a dressform in your size to try it on... but it's too important to not try on before the wedding!
  • My mom used to run an Old Wives Tales website, and when I brought this thread up, she started nodding emphatically. The easiest way to satisfy the superstition is to have the person doing your alterations leave an easy to spot long thread to trim, & then, while you primp on your wedding day, snip it. My mom's tailor marked the thread with a small safety pin in the lining, where it wouldn't cause any damage.
    The superstition is stemmed from the belief that if you wear your completed dress before the big day, either the wedding would be called off, the bride or groom (stereotypically the bride) would not live to see the wedding day (and since this started when your best dress was what you were married /buried in, your wedding gown would only be seen by friends/family at your funeral), or the marriage would end in tears/divorce. Any of these options being horrid to think of, so if it soothes your mind to follow it, go for it.
  • I can honestly say I had never heard of that one before. I find superstitions in general stupid, but if it is something a person worries about then whats the harm in making them feel at ease by following the "rules"
  • I've not heard this one, but I have heard that you should not let anyone else wear your engagement/wedding band until you are married. 

Damn. Guess I'm screwed.
  • I would never let anybody else wear my rings lol
  • Well then I am screwed. I am having my bridal portraits done in January, 2 months before my wedding, lmao.
  • Maybe that's why so many marriages end in divorce now days? I bought my first dress off the rack so I'm sure not only me but other people had tried it on!! Doomed to fail from the start :D
  • CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    I have heard of that one, actually. I think it's okay to wear it for fittings, but not as the final product until just before the ceremony.

I don't know, it was just the first thing that popped into my head.
    No I have heard of this one too. From what I know of the raining on your day is good luck, it's good luck because: 

If your first day as a married couple started off picture perfect and nothing went wrong, you'd have this weird subconscious expectation that "this is how it's going to be from now on" or "this is how it's going to be for us forever". 

If it is raining or pouring on your wedding day and you can handle the stress and still see that your wedding is beautiful and you're happy to be married in the end, then you can handle anything. 

I hope I explained that properly or at least got the point across? lol 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm extraordinarily superstitious! The way I believe this one to be is that the bride is not supposed to be fully dressed as she will be on her wedding day.

My final fitting is tomorrow - I'll figure out something to leave out :)

I think it's open to interpretation and the power of belief!

• Wow this was a good one but I have never  heard this before. The dress is really important, what if it doesnt fit properly, what if it makes the Bride itch? idk but I had to try  my dress on.

Best wishes :  )  

Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~Love is patient. Love is kind. Love is infinite. Love is you.~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards