Chit Chat

The most ridiculous wedding price you've seen

I just got a referral for a salon for hair and make up. The cost: $1,200 

Granted, that includes a facial, mani/pedi and "discount on accessories" but still, that's another wedding dress!

What quotes have made you absolutely fall out of your chair?

Re: The most ridiculous wedding price you've seen

• Nothing. We researched prices before setting up appointmetns or asking for quotes so we didn't potentially fall in love with something that would likely be out of budget.
  • I've seen plenty of prices that I think are ridiculous. But I just keep looking until I find what I want.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My boudoir photos. The photo shoot was $99 for two outfits but no one ever talked to me about the pricing on the photo books or prints. I went back after they were all edited to see what my options were expecting to spend probably around $300 give or take depending on what I got. I got there and was floored to find out that the cheapest Option was to purchase the whole cd for $525. They're books started at $650.

Shame on me for not checking but I thought it was ridiculous.
  • Invitations. We got some quotes that were very surprising (too expensive).

When I get an invitation, I record the date, do a little head-to-the-side "awww! how lovely!" and then I pull out the info card or save the website URL and throw it away. I know some people keep them, but I can't put things on a stainless fridge so it's clutter after I record the date/time. I could never justify spending upwards of $20 a pop for clutter.

*********************************************************************************

• itzMS said:
    Nothing. We researched prices before setting up appointmetns or asking for quotes so we didn't potentially fall in love with something that would likely be out of budget.
    I didn't PAY the $1,200! I just got the quote from the salon and tried not to laugh. 
  • smalfrie19smalfrie19 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    We are getting married at a yacht club and THANK GOD my grandparents are members, becasue non members have to fork out $3300 just to rent the venue. Not including an kind of linens or decoration or lighting.
    Anniversary
  • The one venue I wanted has a min of $25,000 for food/drinks etc... It sucks though because it's the same place that catered my parents wedding. Oh well. The place we found is closer to our ceremony by 20 minutes (old place would of been 20-30 mins to drive new one only 10 minutes) and a lot cheaper. My one flower quote shocked me too.. almost 2k.

Invitations shocked me too. I found a layout I loveeed on vistaprint.. but shipped and all would of been $600. Instead we're now going with Walmart invites which will be $125 all done (minus postage)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • When we got quotes for venues one place had a package for $2,000 for the outside tent space, tables, chairs, hotel room, linens, pretty much everything except food and drink. Not bad. So we get there to look at the space and she casually mentions that the food and beverage minimum is $10,000 - $12,000, depending on the day. Yeah, no thanks lady.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • SBmini said:
    itzMS said:
    Nothing. We researched prices before setting up appointmetns or asking for quotes so we didn't potentially fall in love with something that would likely be out of budget.
    I didn't PAY the $1,200! I just got the quote from the salon and tried not to laugh. 

Didn't say you did. :-)

It is possible to research prices online or via word of mouth without going through the process of asking for quotes, though.

We did this to avoid falling in love with a vendor right away, only to get a super high quote. That was simply my approach...

• itzMS said:
    SBmini said:
    itzMS said:

Didn't say you did. :-)

It is possible to research prices online or via word of mouth without going through the process of asking for quotes, though.

We did this to avoid falling in love with a vendor right away, only to get a super high quote. That was simply my approach...

I had to get a quote everywhere, but searched online since I'm having my wedding back home, but live in NC.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Alterations. I knew they weren't going to be cheap, but I did some sleuthing after finding a dress I liked before plunking down the money for it. I found a lot of reviews complaining about the cost of alterations so I called the store. Without knowing me or what dress I was talking about, they quoted $350-700 (and based on reviews it seems like it was more on the up side of that) for basic things like hem, bustle and a little taking in. Hellz no! I bought the dress elsewhere where alterations will be way cheaper.
  • I got a quote from a DJ around here for 5,000.  That almost knocked me out of my seat.  The kicker was I had to do a lot of the guys "homework".  They wanted me to design our Gobo and put our slide show together.  If you're charging me that high of a price I shouldn't have to lift a finger. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Live bands.   We're paying $1700 for three hours for a five piece bluegrass band.  This band has been our first choice, based on sound & style, from the beginning.   Our second choice band quoted us $2200 for the same time and number of members.   All the other quotes ranged from $800-$2500.   Then there was the band that wanted $7500.   I actually snorted out loud and started laughing over the phone when I  heard it.  
  • WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2013

WonderRed said:
    Live bands.   We're paying $1700 for three hours for a five piece bluegrass band.  This band has been our first choice, based on sound & style, from the beginning.   Our second choice band quoted us $2200 for the same time and number of members.   All the other quotes ranged from $800-$2500.   Then there was the band that wanted $7500.   I actually snorted out loud and started laughing over the phone when I  heard it.  
    That's going to be *AWESOME*.
    We went to see them live a few of weeks ago at a local festival before making it official and they. were.  freaking. AH. MA. ZING!  It poured rain for the entire last set but  when they closed with the most rocking version Rocky Top I've ever heard, everyone there got up and danced out in the monsoon because it just wasn't possible to sit still. We can't wait until dinner is over at our reception.

ETA to add link

Oh. And can we discuss videographers. $10-15,000 for a video package?!  I just want someone to hold a camera for us,not make a freaking full length feature movie.
  • LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013

Invitations. We got some quotes that were very surprising (too expensive).

When I get an invitation, I record the date, do a little head-to-the-side "awww! how lovely!" and then I pull out the info card or save the website URL and throw it away. I know some people keep them, but I can't put things on a stainless fridge so it's clutter after I record the date/time. I could never justify spending upwards of $20 a pop for clutter.

This! I just commented on a friend's bridal shower invitation that came, to my H. I said this pocket card thing is really pretty, but such a waste because I'm not going to put the whole thing on my fridge. I need the date to be visible so I can remember to schedule/RSVP. So I tossed the pretty shiny paper that probably cost more than my whole invitation set!
    Same bride is asking me to come help assemble the wedding invites where she is doing a similar pocket card with embossing and gluing lace around it. Deep down I'm shaking my head at the time and money being spent on something that will get tossed right away. It's easy to say when you are past the bride stage though.

Eta: I realized I didn't answer the OP. probably the dj at like $4k regular price if our friend didn't get us a deal, and $6k basic photography package from a photographer recommended by the same dj friend. What pissed my off was when the photog offered us a discount just for knowing our friend and cut it to $3k......what a freaking markup! We walked away just on principle.

• Uplighting by a close friend with a successful business who I thought would give me a good deal. He didn't. $2500. I said no, obviously. Our band ended up doing some for free.
  • I went to a local dry cleaner to ask how much cleaning + preserving my gown would be. He told me $700. I laughed hysterically, considering all they do is box it up and send it Wedding Gown Preservation Company-which you can order the same cleaning via the internet for about $150-and they send you a box with free shipping to send in your gown. 
  • I wasn't prepared for prices when the word 'wedding' is mentioned, so I was in shock when we were given a quote of $40 per person for a dinner buffet (that people will probably complain about) not including drinks or cocktail hour. I immediately thought about how I could have a very nice dinner at a restaurant for less. I haven't been to a wedding yet where I actually liked the food.

So we're catering ourselves since we have a small guest list, and I like to cook, and i refuse to spend that kind of money on a meal that I might not like.

• Food prices- I asked for menu prices for a place that seemed like a small family run place. They said they didn't do prices but would send me a full quote and it came back at 20k- not including alcohol, linen rentals, china rentals, etc. I was like why wouldn't you ask for a range first before all that work?

• Photographers that charge 6-8K isn't really that crazy.  If you want top quality equipment used, a second shooter, good editing programs used; those all cost money. And lots of if.  My camera body is 3,500. Just the body. Lenses are usually around 1-1.5k.  It's gets expensive fast.  The biggest shock for me was the open bar at a venue I wanted.  Mostly it was shocking because that was the only option they had.  I wanted no bar, as I don't drink and neither do our friends and family really.  Alcohol just wasn't important to me.  I was going to have to pay 6000 for alcohol I didn't even want to have at our wedding. Boo. We ended up at a different, not as wonderful, venue because of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know my aunt got a flower quote of $12,000 for one of her daughter's weddings.  My aunt can spend serious money, but that one just about knocked her out.  
  • I saw photography for 6k, but there was no way in hell that I was paying that much. We ended up finding a lovely photographer for 1k for 6 hours and we get the rights to our photos. I don't need 12 hours of someone taking pictures of me and a second photographer.

I think the one that shocked me the most was the 2k videography for just the ceremony. Nothing else but a 20 minute ceremony. Nope, nope, nope. My aunt is going to film it for us with her fancy video-camera - all I want is the ceremony filmed so we can watch it on our anniversary.
  • A DJ that a friend recommended asked for 7K. I'm still shocked because  the people I looked were a LOT less and offering a lot more than Mr.7K

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• 20,000 for a hotel ballroom with 20 tables. Everything else was extra.
  • ette1487ette1487 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2013
  • I saw a dress on Craigslist for $2,000.  Sure it was never worn and they paid $5,000 for it but do you really think the people shopping on Craigslist are there looking for a $2,000 dress?!  smh

• @ette1487, not only is this against the TOS (which you agreed to) it's tacky. Ask your friends to vote for you. Asking internet strangers who are busting their asses to pay for their own damn weddings? That's a good way to get said internet strangers to vote for your competition. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • seshat303seshat303 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    When we were researching venues we found one that based on the rental fee and meal costs (what they listed for pricing on their site) should have been about 5-6k.  When we got a full quote with all the extra fees it ended up being over 10k. Among other things they seriously wanted us spend about $800 on a security guard because we would be having alcohol (sorry dude, not paying you that much to babysit drunk people for a few hours).  I just about fell out of my chair.  It was a cute place, but older and not terribly spacious.  We ended up being about to get a historic mansion with a bunch of (useful) things included for way less.

Edited because I cannot type.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards