Nevada-Las Vegas

lol etiquette board

Just need to take a moment and laugh at the people who post on the eitquette board. Just did a search for opening presents at a shower and was bombarded with bitchy response after bitchy response to discussions starters, poor girls (and guys).

Re: lol etiquette board

• I've looked at other boards and would never post to them! Those people are mean! I can't get over how rude some of those girls can be. Sorry you had that experience.
  • I hear you!  Even if it's not Vegas related and I need advice I post here.  I'm so thankful for the Vegas ladies and gents, it's so much nicer over here =)

We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • I lurk on that board because some of the advice is actually worthwhile. I wouldnt dare start a post on there. Especially about how FI and I are hosting a pre wedding celebration (I guess we can still call it an engagement party but its 3 months before the wedding) so that guests who cant travel to vegas can still celebrate something "weddingy" with us. Let me guess the e board would say thats "gift grabby" but putting 'no gifts' on our invitation would be 'tacky'! FFS you just cant win sometimes!

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• haha pretty much @missmo14 ! i would never post anything on there lol. Makes me really happy I'm not having a a "typical" wedding and getting caught up in stupid stuff like that.

• I agree! Sometimes what they are saying is true and needs to be said but could be said in a much more gentle manor. I would be scared to post something!
  • I am going to start reading it now for a good time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For the record according to Emily Post an engagement party is not a gift giving occasion :) anyway I only post here cause everyone is super helpful. I dont need any other board. It's Vegas Baby!!!
  • Thanks @jaime85120 cos FI and I arent expecting any gifts. We are just planning a nice afternoon of food, drinks and lawn bowls! I just refuse to call it an engagement party cos its 10 months after we got engaged and less than 3 months before the wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If they knew how early we're all sending our invitations they'd faint!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Speak for yourself @allyido im ten months out and haven't even ordered my std s created but not ordered. Oh the shame im so ashamed **crawls into corner***. Lok jk ill get on it eventually
  • LOL @jaime85120I didnt book my reception until like two weeks ago and im just over two months to go

suck it etiquette prudes

• Lol now now lets not be nasty the polite thing to do would be not to make a fuss over the fact that vegas knotties rock
  • I've always wondered how all these parties and showers turned into gift giving occasions.  I feel like it's just a party, and, by etiquette, you're going to be inviting that person to your wedding and reception if you're inviting them to an engagement party, so why is a gift necessary when the wedding is typically when those are given.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• edited September 2013
    Dupe; that I can no longer remove lol

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• I totally agree @vegasgroom! Im not having any showers just the pre wedding bash which is so casual but fully hosted by FI and I. There are quite a few people who cant make the wedding so they may chose to bring a gift but its definitely not expected. We just wanna PARTY

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Next time u get anxious to hit the dreaded etiquette board check this link out. For all us knotties that are having a destination wedding gifts become optional at least according to the master Emily Post. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/fashion/weddings/questions-on-wedding-etiquette.html?ref=wellmanneredwedding&
  • I kind of agree with her in that sense, people are spending all this money to come to my destination wedding, that is gift enough.
  • I absolutely agree!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Totally agree with that too, our guests are spending so much money just to be with us on our wedding day we have specifically stipulated no gifts on our invites, in the case of destination weddings in another country I feel that guests' PRESENCE is most definitely PRESENT enough.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
       UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!
  • So are you guys registering? I wasn't going to, but then I realized the people who decline might want to send a gift...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @allyldo I didn't register.  My MIL really wanted me to because some of the aunts were worried about what to get us but I felt like registering would imply that we were expecting a gift (which we weren't).  I don't know the etiquette was right or not, but I did write an explanation on our website.  You can check it out if you want... janineanddustin.com. 

My MOH threw me a shower (Etiquette board: I didn't ask her but she really wanted to) but the point was more of having a get together with good snacks and drinks than giving of gifts.  Some people brought stuff, some people didn't and I was just happy to spend an afternoon with my family and friends. 
  • @allyido we are not registering. This is mostly because of our age (40 and 44, that looks even worse than it sounds out loud), we own our home, and have too much crap anyway!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • a13049a13049 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    @allyIdo we will be registering. We aren't putting anything on invitations, shower invites or our website about a registry at all. The only way someone will know about our registry is from asking one of us or asking one of our mothers. I am not sure etiquette wise how this matches up but it feels right for us. I personally don't like mentioning gifts in either manner, including the registry or requesting no gifts please. But that's jmo and I won't judge any friends or family weddings I attend who choose to do it differently

Edited for typo
  • We are not registering because it just doesnt feel right to me.

However, I feel VERY awkward attending a wedding without a gift. I attended my cousins destination wedding in Africa. Cost me nearly $5k in flights, accommodation, spending money for my son and I. We still gave her a lovely card and $100USD.I know its not much but it was all I could afford.

Some guests (like me) feel uncomfortable not giving a gift even if they have spent thousands of dollars to be at the wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Hmmm. A lot to think about. I'm thinking we probably won't register. But if we do, I'm not putting it on the website.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't really want to register either, but I can see it might be easier to have a registry set up if someone insists on getting us a gift and wants to know what we'd like. Ideally it would be cash towards our honeymoon / house deposit, but I hate asking for cash as a gift!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
       UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!
  • we registered but like the other bride we didn't tell anyone or put the information anywhere. When asked we said we had a very small registry at the store. We do not really want gifts or need anything but we did it mostly for the grandparents.
  • AllyIdo said:
    If they knew how early we're all sending our invitations they'd faint!
    Actually, they wouldn't. I read the E board frequently (and contribute every so often), and destination weddings fall into a different timeline. Many brides over there agree that destination wedding STDs and invitations should be sent a bit earlier to allow for planning. It's pretty common to see it suggested that STDs go out a year in advance and invitations around three months instead of 6-8 weeks. There are several destination brides on that board that contribute frequently and share their experiences with their own destination wedding (past or present).
  • Also, mocking other boards is kind of tacky, especially if you're calling people "prudes". The E-board used to link to threads on other boards, and that got shot down/banned by the TK gods because it's wrong to make fun of other boards. The same should apply for the other boards making fun of the main boards.
  • Also, mocking other boards is kind of tacky, especially if you're calling people "prudes". The E-board used to link to threads on other boards, and that got shot down/banned by the TK gods because it's wrong to make fun of other boards. The same should apply for the other boards making fun of the main boards.</blockquote

**Yawn**

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards