Offbeat Weddings
Options

What color is/was your dress?

The more I get into this whole wedding planning business, the more I am starting to fall in love with dresses that aren't white (or even close).

I am starting to consider less traditional options - particularly royal blue (which is really my color, it's what I look best in).

What color is/was your dress?  If you haven't picked one yet, are you thinking about or have you thought about a colored dress? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What color is/was your dress?

• Options
    I found a really nice purple dress online (kind of like grape colored) and I'm in love with it. I keep going back and forth between purple and a white dress though. Plus the purple dress would only come up to $300 :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nice!  I go back and forth too so I don't know what will happen in the end but I have seen a few blue dresses and a few white ones that I like.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mine's an antiqued ivory lace and  it has a taupe/champagne underlay so it is very much not white. The wide waistband and back bow are espresso brown.
  • Options
    Hot pink!
  • Options
    Hot pink?  That's awesome.  Do you have pics??

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I always said I'd get married on the beach on Halloween wearing a red satin dress. Though none of that is happening now, except the date is near Halloween lol.

I saw some beautiful silver & pink dresses that I fell in love with. But the question I asked myself is "how would I feel looking back at the pictures in 5-15 years?" For me, this is the one day I actually get to wear a white gown. I didn't want to look back and regret it.

But if you don't think that would be an issue for you I think it would be awesome to rock a colored gown. You get one wedding- mine as well pick a dress you love!!!!

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    acove2006 said:

I always said I'd get married on the beach on Halloween wearing a red satin dress. Though none of that is happening now, except the date is near Halloween lol.

I saw some beautiful silver & pink dresses that I fell in love with. But the question I asked myself is "how would I feel looking back at the pictures in 5-15 years?" For me, this is the one day I actually get to wear a white gown. I didn't want to look back and regret it.

But if you don't think that would be an issue for you I think it would be awesome to rock a colored gown. You get one wedding- mine as well pick a dress you love!!!!

That's a smart consideration - I'll definitely keep that in mind.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is white - blinding bright white.  But I didn't choose it for the color.  I'm a plus sized bride and i really just wanted something that was going to flatter me and make me feel beautiful.  The dress that did that just happened to be white.

I'm having a double wedding and my co-bride is wearing a black dress with hot pink accents.

We're going to be quite the pair.  =D
  • Options

emmyg65 said:
    grumbledore said:
    Hot pink?  That's awesome.  Do you have pics??
    Yes, ma'am!
    That is more kinds of awesome than I can ever come up with. It looks wonderful on you!!
  • Options
    That is so pretty!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I did the happy compromise.

The white dress with the purple train (AA's "Dream in Color" collection).

It's the one day I can rock the white gown, but I love purple so much...I just smooshed them together and fell in love with one of those dresses.  :)

But, whatever makes YOU feel beautiful, is what you should be rocking down the aisle!!
  • Options
    I wanted a blue dress so bad, but couldn't find one (all the ones I saw were sheath dresses - not my style for a wedding).  So I bought the white dress, but I am adding the blue in every way I can.  Blue ribbon in the lace-up back, blue sash, and possibly a blue cover-up (it being a winter wedding and all). 
    That pink dress is beyond awesome. 

• Options
    Mine is standard white, but I admire people who can go against the norm! For myself I wanted that white dress because it just seemed more 'wedding' to me :)
  • Options
    I'm getting my dress in November. I want a blush, champagne or ivory dress. Who knows what I will end up with though lol.
  • Options
    I'm starting my dress hunt now. I'm not interested in wearing white (or off-white) at all. I have a lot of different colors that look good on me, and the one I'd want to wear on my wedding day is (shockingly, given my avatar) navy blue.

I found an evening gown that I think is exactly what I want, and I'm in the process of getting in touch with a boutique to try it on.

The way I see it, I don't really care for the traditions behind the white/off-white dress. And if this is one of the biggest days of my life, I shouldn't be limited to a dress color I don't really like. I'm supposed to pick a style that makes me feel beautiful--no one would tell me, "You have to wear an empire waist dress for your wedding, it's traditional." So why shouldn't I pick a color that makes me feel beautiful, too?

I've met a lot of resistance regarding my dress color choice. If I weren't encountering any protests--if EVERYONE was super supportive and excited about the color--I'd definitely wear navy blue and not think anything of it. But all of the whining and questioning is definitely making me feel stubborn about my choice, and now I'm definitely not going to wear white.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    My dress was red. It's my favorite color, and why shouldn't I wear my favorite color on my favorite day?

I never dreamed of the white dress anyway. It's not me. I can't imagine ever regretting my dress. It suited me and who I was at the time of my marriage. Why would I regret that? If you want white, go for it, but don't shy away from a different option you're considering because you think 65 year old you might look back and chuckle. As long as you stay away from the 80's poufy sleeves and dresses that belong on strippers, I think you're good.
  • Options
    @Schatzi13 I'm expecting some crap about the no bridal shower. I mean, we're not saying no to gifts and we'll have a registry. But I've got one bridesmaid who lives across the country, and the other is a broke intern at an animal hospital who works 12-14 hour days 6 days a week. And my mom is already helping pay for the wedding. That plus all the patriarchal flavor ... no thanks.

But it's refreshing to hear that another bride wore blue and didn't get any shit for it!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    @Schatzi13 I really appreciate hearing that. I think that when people see my dress, they'll just think it's lovely, and they won't complain about how it wasn't white. At this point, we've decided that anyone who hasn't already seen a picture of the dress won't get to see it till I'm wearing it at the wedding, and we'll just say smile and say, "You'll see" to people who ask.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    White for ceremony, purple for reception.
  • Options
    phira said:
    I'm starting my dress hunt now. I'm not interested in wearing white (or off-white) at all. I have a lot of different colors that look good on me, and the one I'd want to wear on my wedding day is (shockingly, given my avatar) navy blue.

I found an evening gown that I think is exactly what I want, and I'm in the process of getting in touch with a boutique to try it on.

The way I see it, I don't really care for the traditions behind the white/off-white dress. And if this is one of the biggest days of my life, I shouldn't be limited to a dress color I don't really like. I'm supposed to pick a style that makes me feel beautiful--no one would tell me, "You have to wear an empire waist dress for your wedding, it's traditional." So why shouldn't I pick a color that makes me feel beautiful, too?

I've met a lot of resistance regarding my dress color choice. If I weren't encountering any protests--if EVERYONE was super supportive and excited about the color--I'd definitely wear navy blue and not think anything of it. But all of the whining and questioning is definitely making me feel stubborn about my choice, and now I'm definitely not going to wear white.
    I agree with the tradition thing - the tradition of the white dress is really backward looking.  Think about it - you wear the white dress because you are supposed to be "pure" according to tradition.  But within a few short minutes or hours of putting on that dress you are someone's wife - being pure is over and done with!  I wanted blue because the symbolism behind it is more forward looking - faithfulness, loyalty . . . things you want in your marriage.  Does anyone want abstinence in their marriage?  I'm thinking no.  So I am a big fan of the coloured dresses - let's make our own  traditions and symbolism!

• Options
    BarryToBeX3BarryToBeX3 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2014
    imageI bought a cheap, used wedding dress on ebay and tie dyed it.
  • Options
    @BarrytobeX3 Wow, that's really unique!  I love it!

• Options
    My dress color is called light garnet.image
  • Options
    hoguekhoguek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2014

The best part about a non-white dress is they are so much cheaper. The exact same dress that I am getting in the bridal version is 4x the price... and literally the only difference is that it is white and has a small train.

For those looking for color, I would try out bridesmaids dresses, as they usually are elegant but also come in a wide range of colors.

I knew from the start I didn't want a white dress, so I made an appointment at the Nordstrom Bridal Suite, knowing they could pull dresses from the entire store. I tried on a good number of dresses but it was magic when I put on the Jenny Yoo tulle dress sample -- it was perfect. The sample happened to be in a charcoal color and it looked phenomenal.

Then I had a second appointment that included my mom and two best friends and the stylist was showing us all a few of the samples she had of the same dress -- one of them happened to be a peachy blush color and when she held it up to me, it made my skin positively radiant.

So what I decided to do is get the peachy one in the full length for the wedding and then a short knee-length version of the same dress in charcoal for the reception. The accessories will all be the same and work well with both colors.

It all still cost me 1/2 the price as getting the white bridal version of the dress alone and I am SO much happier with how the colored ones look. Complete success!

• Options
       I always thought I'd wear a color. Now I want a white dress! I look good in white and I don't know that I'd wear one any other time. I have an advantage though, my mom is a professional seamstress and I sew really well so we can make anything we want. We are copying this dress in white. I like it because it looks like a fairy queen without having literal wings. The draping in the back sort of hints at wings. I also think the applique's on this one are a bit gaudy and I will probably use something more tasteful or bead it myself. I will also probably not have the train as our wedding is outdoors.

I do reserve the right to change my mind and make it up in Lilac instead, LOL!
  • Options
    My dress is a big white ball gown but I will be wearing a colored crinoline underneath. It will end up looking something like this.

Need to steal this idea. Adding more blue to my day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My sister is getting married in a metallic gold princess wedding gown. She looks like Cinderella in gold leaf. I'm not sure I like it, but the important thing is that she likes it. Wish I had a picture to share.

• Options
    @HikeBandit That sounds like an AMAZING dress. I was big into fairy tales as a kid and had tons of illustrated fairy tale books, and Cinderella dresses always just floored me.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards