Registry and Gift Forum

Amazon?

Found out you can register on amazon and we were both all for it since it basically has everything in one place and things are usually less expensive (though it seems KitchenAid mixers are more $$$ for some reason). 

Has anyone done it? Any complaints? One disadvantage is a lot of store registries do a discount on things post wedding so you can go and buy what you want yourself if no one got it for you and I don't see anything about Amazon doing that. Otherwise, I see no reason not to. It seems like it would be more convenient for people choosing gifts. Thoughts?

Re: Amazon?

• I know some older guests who aren't tech-savvy and wouldn't be able to access it without assistance.

Some other people I know refuse to shop on-line, so they might look at your registry for ideas but purchase it elsewhere, which wouldn't mark it as "purchased" from your registry and you might end up with duplicates.

Just few thoughts to consider!
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I shop on Amazon quite a bit for things.

I would still feel weird buying a wedding gift on Amazon. I can't really explain why.

Returns are also much more challenging if something is broken.

• I personally love shopping from a registry in a store. If you solely registered on Amazon, I would buy you something not on your registry from a store, or attempt to find a store that sold something from your registry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I thought of the old people thing but everyone I can think of will be able to handle it. The only one really is his grandma and she lives with his uncle who loves tech. I don't have grandparents, or really any older relatives unless you count my parents, who also use amazon. 

As far as the store thing goes, IDK. Thought about registering at a store too but I feel weird about registering in multiple places even though most people do it. 
  • I have a hidden Amazon registry right now. Will probably use it for a few things. Our main registry will be BB&B but there's a few things they do not have. My fiance wants to register for a printer and I want a few board games. Unless we change our minds and do Target.

I personally do almost all my Christmas and birthday shopping on Amazon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My friend did. You can register for anything. The younger tech saavy crowd will like it. I personally found several items that I could get cheaper at target or bbb (with coupon) and not have to pay shipping. Some people like it because they forget a gift for the wedding and can buy any time.
  • I personally love shopping from a registry in a store. If you solely registered on Amazon, I would buy you something not on your registry from a store, or attempt to find a store that sold something from your registry.
    Agree.  I like going to the store, seeing the item and buying it when it comes to a gift.  I can check to make sure it's not damaged and walk out of the store with it.

With Amazon (which I do use for my own personal shopping alot!), you don't get to see the item until it arrives, you have to hope that it comes undamaged and you have to hope that there isn't a delay.

• I have registered at Amazon, but also at Target, so people have a choice of where they want to go
  • We registered on Amazon. It made sense because most people were traveling for the wedding and sent gifts right to our house. We had a traditional registry at Macy's also. I figured most people would choose Macy's, but most people ended up buying off Amazon.
    *********************************************************************************

• I ended up registering at Target as well, and I'll take a close look later to see what's cheaper where. 
  • We registered on Amazon and BB&B (only about 15 items on each).  We received a few things from our Amazon registry, one of the best was a fireproof/waterproof document safe which they had delivered directly to our house, which was nice since it was so heavy.  Some of the smaller items, people chose to ship to themselves and wrap it for us, which was nice too.

We didn't have any issues with the gifts we received, but both H and I order on Amazon a lot and they have great customer service if you receive anything damaged.
  • I love Amazon and were going to register but we found the majority of stuff we wanted at BBB and Kohls (and wanted to take advantage of their registry bonus type things after the wedding) and since we did not want 3 registries since it was a smaller wedding we x'd the amazon one.  If you do it though, I would recommend having a registry at store as well for the people who like physically shopping for the gifts and looking at your registry items in person. 

I did a lot of our wedding shopping through Amazon though!

Anniversary
  • We registered on Amazon. It made sense because most people were traveling for the wedding and sent gifts right to our house. We had a traditional registry at Macy's also. I figured most people would choose Macy's, but most people ended up buying off Amazon.
    This is exactly what we plan to do.  Over 80% of our guests are out of town and amazon's free shipping minimum is so much lower for most things (as a guest I hate spending my gift money on shipping).  Macy's is everywhere and has good sales though, and I feel you need a brick and mortar store for guests who don't like shopping online.
  • At my last birthday I got 3 identical pairs of boots because nobody clicked "I purchased this item." This is mostly just an issue for items added with the "universal wish list" button, but it happens with regular items too. I wouldn't say that's a reason not to use Amazon, but maybe write a note asking folks to check items they purchase are removed, and check any items you receive are removed too.
  • We had multiple registries, and one of those was Amazon. We received a few gifts from there, but no where near as many as from the other stores. 

I actually like Amazon - sometimes cheaper prices, and free shipping over $25. Seems like a good choice to me, but obviously not of all my guests felt the same way! If you don't mind having multiple registries, then go for it. If you only want one or two, it wasn't used very often.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards