Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Things I wish I'd known before my wedding day

2»

Re: Things I wish I'd known before my wedding day

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_things-wished-id-known-before-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:8a4e80fc-6b6c-450c-b2e5-fac56f8d1567Post:6aadc5f6-ab1b-4ad7-b331-a8c7c0545de2">Re: Things I wish I'd known before my wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE] Definitely eat the morning of and take a pain pill before gettingyour hair done Posted by bridetobemo[/QUOTE]

I wish i had done this! my head was killing me by the end of the night.

all great advice !
  • i think that the biggest thing for me was not knowing how insanely quick everything went. i wish that someone had told me that the ceremony and everything involved would fly by as quick as it did because at the end i felt kind of just like "uh-whaaa?" . oh and also EAT BEFORE YOUR WEDDING you may hate it and your girls may need to shove it donw your throat (hi) but DO IT! i had maybe, 3 bites of my very expensive meal as i was pulled constantly away for bridal responsibilities. at the end of the night my new husband and i were STARVING and the hotel was closed for food...after choosing to suck it up we went to bed and my husband woke up at 4 about to drive out for fast food. SO EAT. or else y9ou might miss out on the wedding night..
  • CowgirlK39CowgirlK39 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_things-wished-id-known-before-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:8a4e80fc-6b6c-450c-b2e5-fac56f8d1567Post:bf444a12-90f9-40ea-9481-809f846b2f28">Re: Things I wish I'd known before my wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think that the biggest thing for me was not knowing how insanely quick everything went. i wish that someone had told me that the ceremony and everything involved would fly by as quick as it did because at the end i felt kind of just like "uh-whaaa?" . oh and also EAT BEFORE YOUR WEDDING you may hate it and your girls may need to shove it donw your throat (hi) but DO IT! i had maybe, 3 bites of my very expensive meal as i was pulled constantly away for bridal responsibilities. at the end of the night my new husband and i were STARVING and the hotel was closed for food...after choosing to suck it up we went to bed and my husband woke up at 4 about to drive out for fast food. SO EAT. or else y9ou might miss out on the wedding night..
    Posted by kfarrell070[/QUOTE]

I have heard this before and kept it in mind when we met with our caterer the other day. I figured I wouldnt wanna stuff myself stupid at the reception and then feel like crap while dancing, so I will end up eating very little at the dinner. Like you suggested, a snack before and after is probably a good idea!

I also agree with the "taking a moment" idea that PPs mentioned. Someone else told me the exact same thing after his wedding. He said its all so rushed and busy that you dont realize whats going on.
  • Thanks for the advice! Lots of really helpful ideas!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • The only thing I got out of my dinner was mashed potatoes, they cleared my plates while I was up doing something or another, I so wished I had talked to them prior about that. I also wish I had asked about leftovers. We paid for meals per person, and we didn't think about the leftovers until the next day. When we called, they said they would have given them to us if we had asked, but they just threw them out. 23 people didn't show, so 23 steaks went into the garbage (along with 3 kids meals). I wish I had my 23 steaks.
  • Wonderful advice!! Thanks for taking time to share the special details of your day! This will soo help!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I just found your article on Pinterest and I just wanted to agree with your comment about amatuer videographers. I would have to agree! My brother did my sister's wedding and although it wasn't amazing, she still treasures it and he loved doing it because it gave him a job for the wedding. He felt like he was helping and he otherwise wouldn't have! 

Great post by the way! Thanks for the insight!

• Wish i had Read thia before the wedding lol. My biggest regret was not getting a video of the ceremony. It all went so fast it also would have been nice to take a time out together and enjoy the moment.
  • I'm going to save this, thanks!
  • Seriously, ladies? It's called a receiving line. There is NO excuse for not personally greeting and saying hello to every single guest that came to your wedding. You think it's going to take too long? People know others are in line and are quick to go through. A quick, "Hi! Thank you so much for coming we really appreciate it!" is all you need to say. I had 75 guests and it took 5-10 min for the line. Brides that don't greet their guests, no matter their intentions, are ungracious.

• Seriously, ladies? It's called a receiving line. There is NO excuse for not personally greeting and saying hello to every single guest that came to your wedding. You think it's going to take too long? People know others are in line and are quick to go through. A quick, "Hi! Thank you so much for coming we really appreciate it!" is all you need to say. I had 75 guests and it took 5-10 min for the line. Brides that don't greet their guests, no matter their intentions, are ungracious.

This thread is form Dec 2011. Please dont bring back old threads.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    Seriously, ladies? It's called a receiving line. There is NO excuse for not personally greeting and saying hello to every single guest that came to your wedding. You think it's going to take too long? People know others are in line and are quick to go through. A quick, "Hi! Thank you so much for coming we really appreciate it!" is all you need to say. I had 75 guests and it took 5-10 min for the line. Brides that don't greet their guests, no matter their intentions, are ungracious.

This thread is form Dec 2011. Please dont bring back old threads.
    She's not the one who bumped it.

• Good point about the plates. I went to a wedding and went to the bathroom after taking a few bites and when I came back the food was gone. I think we'll be having a buffet so hopefully this will be less of an issue. 

My venue also requires an 18% gratuity so I'm a little bit worried about what the service will end up being like. Again, hopefully less of a concern with a buffet. I suppose I could let it be known I'll tip more if the service merits it, but not sure how to word that without sounding like a snob. In the end, servers are probably happier and better knowing that they are getting 18% than thinking they will most likely get stiffed. As a general rule the bigger the group the more the % typically goes down (I work at a restaurant and hate big groups!).

I understand the built in gratuity. I've catered weddings and it's really hard work and it would have sucked to not have gotten a nice tip at the end, and I'm sure a lot of people would skimp since the food itself adds up to a lot. Still, a little more wiggle room would be nice. 
  • Love it thank you for the heads up
  • Someone gave me the advice before my wedding of making sure to take a moment with my new husband. That was such great advice and we did manage to. We had a destination wedding in Hawaii, and our reception was at a private beach estate, so we had to transport all of our guests there and back with a coach. The driver was 45min late to pick everyone up for the way back but the rule of the estate was that music had to be off at 10pm. So the music was shut off, and people had to wait at the tables for a good 45 min. The guy who was our MC just stepped in and hosted a spontaneous Disney music sing-along to keep people entertained while they were waiting. The best part about this was, we went for a walk and sat down by the beach and looked at the stars. It was such a perfect ending.. we didn't have to worry about the guests being bored or impatient or that the bus was late, we just sat there watching the whole event from afar, looking at the stars, and listening to the waves, and best of all, talking to each other about the day. I'm so glad we did this.

The other piece about the food is, I would suggest to tell your caterer to have two plates made up and make sure they go with you to your hotel. I didn't even think about this but our coordinator did, and I was so glad! I could not eat for days before the wedding, much less at the reception itself. I ate maybe two rolls and a bite of potatoes and couldn't stomach anything. That night in our hotel, I was suddenly starving now that all the anxiety was over, and it was so nice to have a full plate of food to enjoy since we paid so much for it!

Something I would also suggest is have one person NOT in the bridal party be the point of contact for all guests (if they are willing), or at least stress to people NOT to contact you on the day of/day before. I can't tell you how irritating it was to be getting texts while in hair/makeup from friends or guests: "What time are we supposed to be at the chapel?" "Where do we go?" They all had instructions in their invitations and it just stressed me out to no end to be bothered by these people. It would've been nice if they had someone else to go to to answer their questions.

Also, if you are like me, and prone to anxiety and being overwhelmed, only let certain people be with you on the day of before the ceremony. My 3 sisters, sister in law, and mother were with me for hair/makeup (they all got theirs done too). My sisters knew how stressed I was so they brought breakfast, Starbucks, alcohol and were just very attentive to everything I needed on that day. My mother in law had asked if she could come get hair/makeup done and the team couldn't take anyone else so I said no. I could tell she was a bit annoyed by not being included and by the fact that my sister in law came with us even though she wasn't in the bridal party. I felt a bit guilty about this at the time, but looking back I am SO glad I didn't include her. She constantly asks questions "How are you feeling?" "Are you excited?" "What time is the appointment?" "What time does the minister get there?" etc etc etc and she would've been doing that the whole time. So please don't feel obligated to include people when you know they will just cause more stress.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards