Moms and Maids

Not a whole lot of friends on either side: How to pick bridesmaids and groomsmen?

My fiance and I are not quite hermits, but we don't really have a lot of friends or family that we are very close to, and aren't sure how to go about picking groomsmen and bridesmaids, or even a maid of honor or best man.
I have one close friend that I've known for years, some female cousins I don't particularly like, and a brother. He has a very small family and one good friend who lives out of state and is expecting his first baby just a few weeks before our wedding.
What do you think we should do?

Re: Not a whole lot of friends on either side: How to pick bridesmaids and groomsmen?

• Who would make you happy?  Picture the person/people you want standing closest to you on your day, and you have your answer.

• You don't need a wedding party. We decided not to have one and it was lovely.
  • I agree with pps. One option that wasn't mentioned: ask your parents or grandparents to stand up for you.

• I don't have grandparents, or honestly they would be my first choice. I was very close to my mom's parents.

I think we've decided to just do one each and keep it small. I would like that one close friend to stand up with me and he would like my brother up there with him.

What is a good response if someone says that that is strange or too small of a group?
  • The phrase I picked up from this board and love is, "Choose who you would call if you needed to hide a body at 2am." That's your wedding party, whether it's two people or none or twelve. Your groom should do the same.
    I love this!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 
      Visit The Knot!
  • I don't have grandparents, or honestly they would be my first choice. I was very close to my mom's parents.

I think we've decided to just do one each and keep it small. I would like that one close friend to stand up with me and he would like my brother up there with him.

What is a good response if someone says that that is strange or too small of a group?
    My son and his wife have many friends. They still made a choice to have only one attendant on each side. No one questioned the size of it. Why would they? It's a personal choice. If anyone would ask, you would merely have to say, "Because that was our choice".
  • OP - hopefully no one will be rude enough to question your decision. If, by some off reason, someone does, you can put a polite smile on your face and then say "We're happy with our decision." I would probably follow that up with an "Excuse me, I need to go," personally.
  • Psssh wedding party is one of those things you can appropriately say "It's our wedding" about. Ask whomever you'd like; if people judge it, they have too much time on their hands. 
  • I don't think its strange to have one or no attendants. We were thinking about just having one MOH and a best man (my sister and his brother).

I doubt anyone will comment. If they do, say "it was just simpler to do it this way." Its vague, neutral, and will satisfy any inquirers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards