Connecticut
Options

Planning a Connecticut Wedding from Australia!

Hey girls!

So I live in Australia and i'm moving to Connecticut hopefully by the end of this year when my fiancé visa comes through. My fiancé lives in CT and we've set our wedding date for March 1 2014. I have been researching venues and emailing vendors like crazy from here. We will be having around 75 guests and have come down to these 4 reception venue possibilities. Our budget is $80 per person including drinks and food. Taxes and gratuity tip would be on top of that. I've emailed each of them and their prices seem reasonable for our budget cost. Any other opinions on them would be great to hear seeing how I am trying to plan from the other side of the world :D

Lounsbury House - http://www.lounsburyhouse.com/

Pond House Café - http://www.pondhousecafe.com/

Avon Old Farms Hotel http://www.avonoldfarmshotel.com/

Simsbury 1820 House - http://www.simsbury1820house.com/connecticut-wedding/

Re: Planning a Connecticut Wedding from Australia!

• Options
    Hey, another long-distance planner! I thought I was far in New Mexico, but wow!! I'm not familiar with any of these places but I would also recommend looking at grassy hill lodge in derby with your budget. We ultimately didn't choose it because we wanted something closer to the church, but It seemed like a great value for all the different meal options.
  • Options

Hey there!

Thank you so much for your reply. We've decided to go with Lounsbury House! The venue is absolutely gorgeous and there's  30% off site fee they are running through August and the catering company we have teamed up with also have$10 off per person because our wedding is in Winter. We are so excited! Have you and your fiancé decided on our venue yet? Distance planning can be challenging but I just research and research an email all these different companies and bombard them with questions lol

• Options
    Congrats on picking a venue! My fiance and I are moving to Miami at the end of the month so reading this makes me realize Florida is certainly not that far to be planning from! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That is quite some long distance planning. Good luck!
  • Options
    Congrats on picking a venue! Australia sounds so much cooler than Connecticut, haha. Check out Studio1923 if you haven't picked a photographer yet, and Stylish Blooms for florist!!
  • Options

Hey Girls!

Thank you so much for your replies! I actually emailed Stylish Blooms yesterday but unfortunately Melissa hasn't got our date available. She did refer me to two other places though which seem great so i'll be contacting them. We don't want to spend too much on flowers as we have a little bit of a tight budget.

As to the photographer, we've chosen Tim from Tab Photographic. I've been in touch with him for a few weeks now. He gives his opinions on venues and other things and is always willing to go above and beyond and help with the wedding planning. He's so down to earth and willing to work with the budget. Here's his website. http://tabphotographic.com/.

I am so excited to be moving to CT after a few months! :) The one thing i'm dreading is the freezing winters. It doesn't get that cold here in Australia! :) But I do love the snow there :) Best wishes in your wedding plans! :)

• Options
    aysidrak said:

Hey there!

Thank you so much for your reply. We've decided to go with Lounsbury House! The venue is absolutely gorgeous and there's  30% off site fee they are running through August and the catering company we have teamed up with also have$10 off per person because our wedding is in Winter. We are so excited! Have you and your fiancé decided on our venue yet? Distance planning can be challenging but I just research and research an email all these different companies and bombard them with questions lol

Wow, that is a great discount! And Lounsbury House is beautiful! We're getting married in October, which is just about the last month of peak wedding season, so no discount for us. We booked the Milford Yacht Club. Yes, I've been sending a bunch of emails too and just wish everyone would all put prices on their websites! We're planning to make DJ and photographer appointments when we're back visiting my family in December. Good luck, and happy planning! I've found these boards to be a great resources thus far.
  • Options
    Aray82 said:
    aysidrak said:

Hey there!

Wow, that is a great discount! And Lounsbury House is beautiful! We're getting married in October, which is just about the last month of peak wedding season, so no discount for us. We booked the Milford Yacht Club. Yes, I've been sending a bunch of emails too and just wish everyone would all put prices on their websites! We're planning to make DJ and photographer appointments when we're back visiting my family in December. Good luck, and happy planning! I've found these boards to be a great resources thus far.
    I saw some photos of the Lounsbury and it looks amazing. I love the fireplace lol. Wow so your wedding is coming up soon! You must be really excited! :) Wouldn't it be so much easier if people put prices on their websites lol. I completely agree with you on that one! All the best with your planning and wedding :) 
  • Options
    I planned my Connecticut wedding if the UK.  Let me know if I can help with any tips!
  • Options
    I just sent my deposit for lounsbury too! Mine will not be until sept. next year, though... It might be nice to share some tips so if you need anything, let me know...
  • Options
    Happy to see another Lounsbury bride! :D We would have loved a Spring or Autumn wedding but i am arriving in the US on a fiance visa and one of the conditions is that we have to get married within 90 days! So that's why we're having a Winter wedding. Works out cheaper too because i already have to pay thousands of dollars for my visa and ticket to the US! Good news is that our visa petition just got approved so i'll hopefully get to see my fiance in December after 10 months of being apart.!
  • Options
    aysidrak said:
    Happy to see another Lounsbury bride! :D We would have loved a Spring or Autumn wedding but i am arriving in the US on a fiance visa and one of the conditions is that we have to get married within 90 days! So that's why we're having a Winter wedding. Works out cheaper too because i already have to pay thousands of dollars for my visa and ticket to the US! Good news is that our visa petition just got approved so i'll hopefully get to see my fiance in December after 10 months of being apart.!

Great news!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards