Students

Some advice on balancing school and planning?

I'm sure this has been discussed a hundred times here, so if it's more appropriate please direct me to an old thread about it.

I got engaged last weekend, and I'm in the middle of the craziest semester of my life, but we want to get married in May (literally a week or two after we both graduate). The reason for that is because we plan on moving and want the wedding before we move.

I just need some tips for keeping track of everything and making sure to spend time doing schoolwork too (this is a 16 credit hour semester for me). Next semester I should have it a lot easier (9 credit hours) so I know I'll be able to fit in a lot more planning and work then, but for now I really need to get the big things ironed out and I'm already seeing myself neglecting school.

Re: Some advice on balancing school and planning?

• CulyeenRNCulyeenRN member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2013

I'm currently in graduate school for Family Nurse Practitioner and it was a challenge but luckily I had started most of my planning before I started school. My advice would be to do all the things mentioned above and save the time consuming things for your winter break if you have one. That is the perfect time to schedule meetings with vendors as you won't have school assignments and classes competing for your time. Also as I nurse I must say Delegate!!! :-) It may be hard letting someone else take the reins but thats what your bridesmaids and family are for! I had one of my maids of honor look for decoration ideas and she ended up helping me get almost all my decorations for $60!!! Also online printers are wonderful and relatively inexpensive for invitations. If you know someone who can make you a template you can use that or one of the one's the printer provides. I'm using printing for less and they're wonderful. They'll even address all your envelopes and post cards for you. I've used the knot for all of my budgeting and planning and then save contracts that I've scanned on my computer in a special folder. I hope this helps!! Congratulations on the Engagement and try not to stress too much everything will be wonderful I'm sure of it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm in my Senior year, studying for three state certification exams, so I feel your pain.
    What I do is devote two hours a week. You have to have a check list. I suggest buying a planning book, or finding free ones online. You'd be surprise how much you can figure out in that time if you're dedicated. Make sure those in your wedding party are dedicated as well, and willing to help you in any way. Give your fiance some of the duties as well. It's going to be an 8 month engagement for me, and I can tell you, unless it's going to be a huge wedding you should be fine on the wedding planning. Utilize your free time, like fall breaks, winter breaks, etc. Don't stress over the little things, just make sure you're happy and your man is as well!
    Congratulations!! It will go well! Don't worry :) I have two months left, and I'm just ready for it to be over it.In a good way!
    Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks! You guys are really making me feel a little better about all of this.
    My fiance has been helping quite a bit and my parents have as well, so that's good.
    I'm trying to stay on track with school, and I think it's going ok, but honestly I just want this semester over.
    We have an appointment with our #1 choice for venue on Friday so I'm working my butt off today and Friday morning to get any and all homework out of the way. I think what we are going to do is try to keep weekdays for school and weekends for breathing and wedding planning. Since my parents live an hour away and work and my fiance and I have opposite schedules during the week, it should work well.

• Sounds like you have a great plan going on. Good Luck!
    Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CulyeenRNCulyeenRN member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2013

You seem to be a smart gal and it seems like you have a lot of support! I'm glad I was able to help you feel a little less overwhelmed. I'm sure you'll do great this semester and that your wedding will be perfect!! Good luck (although I don't think you'll need it ;-) )

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards