Wedding Reception Forum

Champagne Toast

Were going to have a champagne toast.   Should champagne be at every table or just the bridal table?

Re: Champagne Toast

• Every table.  It is seen as very rude to just serve yourself something that you are also not willing to serve to every single guest in attendance.  It would be like you and your FI eating steak while everyone else gets chicken.

IMO, champagne toasts are dumb and a waste of money.  Typically the champagne used is cheap and gross.  I would just skip the champagne and have your guests toast with whatever drink they have in front of them.

• We had champagne (actually domestic sparkling white wine) available at the bar for those who wanted it and let people toast with their beverage of choice. Some folks don't like champagne, and wasted champagne is a great tragedy. 
  • We are having a champagne toast. Everyone will get champagne. It would have never entered my mind to only give it to the bridal party. Not only would you be getting something everyone else isn't, but then you would be holding it up in the air in front of them too. That's just no good. 
  • At every table.  You can't just be like "This fancy drink is just for us, tee-hee" by only you and the wedding party drinking it.  
  • emmyg65 said:
    We had champagne (actually domestic sparkling white wine) available at the bar for those who wanted it and let people toast with their beverage of choice. Some folks don't like champagne, and wasted champagne is a great tragedy. 

This. At weddings, DH's full glass of champagne or wine comes straight to me. Not that I mind a second glass, but there's no point serving it to those who don't drink it.

I don't even like wine that much, but I'll drink it when it's free.

• I've been to weddings with or without champagne toasts & either way doesn't matter to me. I have never been to a wedding where only the wedding party had something no one else had, but if I noticed that done I would think it's rude.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you have it, offer it to everyone.  

I've been to weddings where a server brings trays of champagne and sparkling cider to the tables.  That way, people can decline if they don't want champagne and get something bubbly if they don't drink or don't like champagne.  
  • Every table.  It is seen as very rude to just serve yourself something that you are also not willing to serve to every single guest in attendance.  It would be like you and your FI eating steak while everyone else gets chicken.

IMO, champagne toasts are dumb and a waste of money.  Typically the champagne used is cheap and gross.  I would just skip the champagne and have your guests toast with whatever drink they have in front of them.
    No lie, when my XH's brother got married, he and his wife had lobster and steak while the rest of us had the worst wedding chicken I've ever eaten.  I'll never, ever forget that.

OP - serve it to everyone.  If you want to cut down on waste, have it pre-poured in toastinh quantities - of have a couple of bottles on the table but let people toast with whatever they prefer, some don't drink champagne.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

No lie, when my XH's brother got married, he and his wife had lobster and steak while the rest of us had the worst wedding chicken I've ever eaten.  I'll never, ever forget that.

OP - serve it to everyone.  If you want to cut down on waste, have it pre-poured in toastinh quantities - of have a couple of bottles on the table but let people toast with whatever they prefer, some don't drink champagne.
    Those selfish fuckers.  How did they not see anything wrong with that?

• I went to a "bridal luncheon" with about 20 people the day before a wedding a few years ago (the women in the family and the bridesmaids, primarily) and the food that was served was a disgusting assortment of tuna salad, chicken salad, and other mayonnaise-based "salads". The sister of the groom who put on the event had a different meal for herself. I can't remember if it was JUST her, or one other co-host as well. Her meal looked delicious. Also, the bride HATES mayonnaise and didn't eat a thing...while the future-SIL sat there and ate something delicious she would have eaten. 

Moral of the story--no one should get special food/beverage without offering it to everyone!

Those selfish fuckers.  How did they not see anything wrong with that?
    I have no idea.  The same couple never sent a thank you note for my bridal shower gift OR our $400 wedding gift.  Assholes.  Cash bar too.  

This is why I always tell people that people do remember because they do. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The champagne should be at every table.
  • We're doing the toast but the wait staff pours it and brings it out to the tables already poured.  Our venue carries the label that we wanted to use, which is really random since it's such a small, relatively unheard of vineyard in our home state. 
  • I talked to the groom's dad and his reason was if people wanted champagne they can get it from the bar.  I told him I thought every table should have champagne bottles.  That way it would be at the table.
  • I talked to the groom's dad and his reason was if people wanted champagne they can get it from the bar.  I told him I thought every table should have champagne bottles.  That way it would be at the table.
    I don't think that every table needs a bottle of champagne but I think it would be best if you had a wait staff come around to each table when everyone is seated and ask them if they would like champagne.  This way everyone knows that it is available if they want it and can also decline it so nothing goes to waste.

• I like your idea with the wait staff coming to each table.  I'll mention this to the grooms father.
  • marip123 said:
    I like your idea with the wait staff coming to each table.  I'll mention this to the grooms father.
    This is what our venue is doing with our champagne toast as well. I believe they'll say something like "would you like a glass of champagne for the toast" and if people decline then they can toast with whatever they have. 
  • Everyone should get champagne.
  • marip123 said:
    I like your idea with the wait staff coming to each table.  I'll mention this to the grooms father.
    This is what our venue is doing with our champagne toast as well. I believe they'll say something like "would you like a glass of champagne for the toast" and if people decline then they can toast with whatever they have. 
    That's what mine is doing, and giving the option of sparkling cider.

Anniversary

• I think if everyone can get it from the bar then they can choose it or whatever they prefer ~ bonus if they keep serving it all night! That's my kind of wedding! :-)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I agree w getting venue to coordinate. This is what we are doing...We'll have champagne & sparkling cider provided for toasting time. Servers bring it out. We'll provide a list of folks who prefer non-alcoholic beverages to venue w seating chart.
  • Our servers will be bringing it to tables and people can partake or not. But who's going to decline champagne!
  • Ionewton said:
    Our servers will be bringing it to tables and people can partake or not. But who's going to decline champagne!
    People who hate champagne, like myself.

• Ionewton said:
    Our servers will be bringing it to tables and people can partake or not. But who's going to decline champagne!
    People who hate champagne, like myself.
    And me.  I don't need champagne to participate in toasts-I can do that with water, wine, or virgin drinks if necessary.
  • ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    I love champagne at champagne toasts! And I love to drink other's champagne! But Maggie's suggestion is a good one.
    Anniversary
  • I like the idea of having the wait staff ask if people want it once they are seated.  We have to provide all of our alcohol because our venue is in a dry town.  I am not paying for 20 bottles of champagne to be wasted nor do I want to fore go having champagne for myself and the DH.
  • I like the idea of having the wait staff ask if people want it once they are seated.  We have to provide all of our alcohol because our venue is in a dry town.  I am not paying for 20 bottles of champagne to be wasted nor do I want to fore go having champagne for myself and the DH.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards