Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaid robes?

Has anyone purchased robes for their bridesmaids to wear while getting ready?  I'm looking at various websites, including etsy, but I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations!  I'm hesitant to purchase something without feeling the quality of fabric first.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I looked on the VS site, but they look a bit sleazy (i.e., very short), and I'm not sure it'd look nice for "getting ready" photos.  Thanks!

Re: Bridesmaid robes?

• Honestly, I think the robes tend to be a waste of money. It's a cute idea in pinterest theory, but no one really cares in the end. I bet your bridesmaids would rather have an awesome gift than a robe. 

Also, do they all wear robes? I never wear one. And nice robes are not cheap. If you do get robes, PLEASE don't put "bridesmaid" on them. No one will wear that robe again. 

If you're stuck on this idea, what about getting them loose denim button ups or something similar instead? Less money, less concern about quality. 
  • I am getting them a gift as well.  And, I do wear a robe.
  • I don't think you should get ones that say "bridesmaid".  Just get plain robes or maybe ones with their initials or something.  Also, since you are getting it for them to wear on your wedding day, you should get them something else as their gift, not the robes.
  • Yes, I am in agreement.  I never suggested that I would write "bridesmaid" on it, and I do plan to get them a gift.  I posted this to ask if any other brides had found any robes that they liked.  Thanks.
  • Save your money. BTW anything to be used for your wedding including getting ready robes is not a gift. It's a prop for your pretty pictures.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • wow, I'm aware of what a gift is!  geeeze.  
  • I would skip it and not waste the money. Most people probably would not like having their picture made in a robe anyway, and are you really going to keep and display those kind of 'getting ready' photos in reality? I know I wouldn't.
  • I think the floral ones on etsy are amazing and totally plan on getting them for myself and my BMs.  Not as a gift though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm also one who doesn't wear robes, especially the type that you're probably looking at (satiny and pretty...if anything I'll grab a thick cozy one).  Plus, many, MANY women won't feel comfortable hanging out in a little satin robe while a photographer (I'm assuming might be male?) is taking photos.  I had my photographer and two male videographers in my hotel room with me and my girls and it was super awkward.

Honestly -- would you consider getting them all hoodies (that DON'T say "bridesmaid" or anything on them) in your wedding color?  That is something I'd find useful and enjoy having.

• mlg78 said:

I'm also one who doesn't wear robes, especially the type that you're probably looking at (satiny and pretty...if anything I'll grab a thick cozy one).  Plus, many, MANY women won't feel comfortable hanging out in a little satin robe while a photographer (I'm assuming might be male?) is taking photos.  I had my photographer and two male videographers in my hotel room with me and my girls and it was super awkward.

Honestly -- would you consider getting them all hoodies (that DON'T say "bridesmaid" or anything on them) in your wedding color?  That is something I'd find useful and enjoy having.

This. I'm also a non-wearer of robes. I actually don't know anyone (besides my MIL and FIL) who wear robes. A zip-up hoodie can serve the same purpose (they can take it off without screwing up their hair or make-up) and it's a lot more versatile.

And to answer your original question, I would not buy these online - the only ones I've ever seen are really cheap looking IRL. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I really think doing something like this is a waste of money unless every single BM loves a satin robe.  I love me a good robe, but I prefer a long fluffy one and would absolutely hate a satin robe. Those things are pointless because the point of a robe is to keep you warm and I just don't see how they would do that.

Also, just because you wear a robe doesn't mean everyone likes to.  I really would just save your money and put it towards their gift.

Finally, with getting ready pictures, really take a moment to think about how many of them you will print out and hang up on your wall.  My guess is you won't print out any of them and will maybe only have 2-3 in your wedding photo album.  I think that getting ready photos look best when each girl is dressed how they want and looking comfortable and relaxed.  All being dressed a like and in possibly something that they don't like does not equal comfortable and relaxed.

• I received a waffle-knit robe for a bridesmaids gift last year.

It was monogramed from an Etsy seller.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/128676662/monogrammed-personalized-waffle-robe?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=waffle+robe&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

It was not very modest. Definitely not something I would want to be photographed in.

Save your money.

• I have a Plum Pretty Sugar robe. It was really expensive and really poorly made. Do NOT buy
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am buying robes for my bridesmaids. I bought one for myself also. Instead of putting 'bride" and "bridesmaid" I am putting their actual names on it so they can wear it again. 

I bought them from etsy and they are really comfortable. You can personalize it with their name and with their favorite color. And you can have her make it at a comfortable length for you.

Here's the link to the ones I bought.

• I'll get a link. My friend bought them. We turned out great in pics! Don't let all these other girls convince you out of it. People have different visions.
  • I'll get a link. My friend bought them. We turned out great in pics! Don't let all these other girls convince you out of it. People have different visions.
    Right, we do, which is great. 

I guess we are just trying to suggest which pictures will matter in a few years from now and to dedicate your time and money there. A bunch of chicks in slinky robes is not going to be the most important, lasting memory from your wedding. 
  • elenaaria said:
    I am buying robes for my bridesmaids. I bought one for myself also. Instead of putting 'bride" and "bridesmaid" I am putting their actual names on it so they can wear it again. 

I bought them from etsy and they are really comfortable. You can personalize it with their name and with their favorite color. And you can have her make it at a comfortable length for you.

Here's the link to the ones I bought.

^^^ This seller is from India.

I'd be careful ordering from overseas (personally, I wouldn't want to be sending my credit card and personal information to India or a foreign country), just a heads up for anyone who is considering buying robes.

• I don't care how good of a friend you are, there is no way I am being photographed in a robe. Save your time and money, there is no way a pic of your BMs in robes is making it on the wall over the one with them all dressed up and holding their bouquets.
    Did your friend print out a big picture, have it framed and hung up in her home of all of you in your robes?  Did she even put it in her wedding album?  If the only place you see this picture is on facebook then the robes were a waste of money.  I would rather put that cost into something else that will still matter 20 years from now, like making my guests happy, or buying better presents for my bridal party.

• If girls don want to wear them cause they don't see your vision then they don't belong in your wedding. Its your day. My friend did print and frame them. We loved it and she loved it. Maggie0829 By the way the girl on your left looks unhappy in the picture you use to post your comments but I am sure you don't care because you look good lol
  • manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    If girls don want to wear them cause they don't see your vision then they don't belong in your wedding. Its your day. My friend did print and frame them. We loved it and she loved it. Maggie0829 By the way the girl on your left looks unhappy in the picture you use to post your comments but I am sure you don't care because you look good lol

Wow - I really hope you aren't serious. What a shitty attitude to have about the people willing to give up huge amounts of time and money as a favor to you because they care about you. 

Also, you're bordering very closely on a personal attack here which is against TOS. I'll ask @KnotPorscha to make a decision here. But that was totally uncalled for and immature to boot. 

ETA: Also - no - it looks like she was mid-sentence in the photo. You're being ridiculous. 
  • If girls don want to wear them cause they don't see your vision then they don't belong in your wedding. Its your day. My friend did print and frame them. We loved it and she loved it. Maggie0829 By the way the girl on your left looks unhappy in the picture you use to post your comments but I am sure you don't care because you look good lol
    @kittyxoxox - Excuse me?  What the fuck are you talking about?  Way to make a huge assumption.  I'm sorry but that statement makes you a bitch.  Period.  Give me a warning if you want KG's but it is the truth.

By the way, the person you are talking about is my sister.  And she was genuinely extremely happy for me.  In fact, she was more excited for my wedding day then I was.  It was the first wedding she had ever been in besides her own and she would have done anything for me.  Just like I would have done anything for her on her wedding day.

My post was in no way mean or hurtful to you so I really don't get why you felt the need to respond in such a shitty way.  So why don't you take your pissy attitude elsewhere.

• @kittyxoxox your comment above is on the border of being a personal attack. Personal attacks are a violation of our rules and will result in a warning. 5 warnings = a permanent ban from community.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
    KP
  • edited October 2013
    If girls don want to wear them cause they don't see your vision then they don't belong in your wedding. Its your day. My friend did print and frame them. We loved it and she loved it. Maggie0829 By the way the girl on your left looks unhappy in the picture you use to post your comments but I am sure you don't care because you look good lol
    Why would you try to take an unnecessary personal jab? Not only that, but a really weak one since I'm pretty sure it's her sister and she looks really happy. Insult FAIL. Walk away.....

*********************************************************************************

• http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFlowerFairyShop?section_id=8119171

This is the Etsy seller I went through.  I was really happy with her communication and the speed in which they were done.

I never really get the rage against bridesmaids robes on here.  If its in your budget and you want to do it, do it.  I bought them for myself, my two bridesmaids, my mom, and my flower girl.  I didn't force anyone to wear them or take pictures in them. I knew we needed something to wear that could be easily removed after hair and make up.  And no, it wasn't there gift, it was just something extra.  We didn't take pictures in the robes but for the flower girl who was sitting in the make up chair wearing hers.  I do have that picture framed at home.

• Coghoot12 said:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFlowerFairyShop?section_id=8119171

This is the Etsy seller I went through.  I was really happy with her communication and the speed in which they were done.

I never really get the rage against bridesmaids robes on here.  If its in your budget and you want to do it, do it.  I bought them for myself, my two bridesmaids, my mom, and my flower girl.  I didn't force anyone to wear them or take pictures in them. I knew we needed something to wear that could be easily removed after hair and make up.  And no, it wasn't there gift, it was just something extra.  We didn't take pictures in the robes but for the flower girl who was sitting in the make up chair wearing hers.  I do have that picture framed at home.

All I will say is that I don't know many women who when given a robe that is to be worn while getting ready the day of their friends wedding will actually decline.  Most people will wear it, even if they hate it, just to appease their friends.  So instead of basically guilting your friends into wearing something they don't want to, just don't purchase them at all.

Also, most women know to wear something that can easily be taken off when they are getting their hair and makeup done.

• I like robes. That is all. 
  • Thanks to all for your feedback!  I appreciate the different opinions.  Never meant for anyone to be offended :)
  • The robes seem cute, but it's not an area where we plan to spend money--I'd rather spring for more spa pampering or a bigger "thank you" gift. If you do buy them, the girls would probably appreciate a monogram instead of cutesy labels so they can reuse them
  • I know id love a robe but im not sure my friends would because i havent asked but i dont think id like the idea anyway. Id rather just have them show up in w/e makes them comfy. 
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards