Luxury Weddings
Options

What counts as "Luxury"?

I'm sure I've missed an obvious post somewhere, but... What counts as a luxury wedding?
So, maybe things don't always go as planned... Maybe that's okay. I may be alone for now, but my baby boy is on his way, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Re: What counts as "Luxury"?

• Options
    There was a post about this awhile back. I think most people think of luxury in two ways: cost, of course, but also going above and beyond to properly host your guests. It's not unusual that when you go above and beyond, it can get pricey.

• Options
    I really think it's about going above and beyond to put on an amazing event. The best of the best for your big day. 

I've noticed it also varies a lot by geographically region. There's a lot of NJ brides here because in NJ BIG weddings are the norm and expected. I'm in Chicago and in our circle there's an expection for a big production. However some smaller towns, even just an open bar might make your wedding luxury.
  • Options
    I agree that it depends on the area. I think we're having a luxury wedding even though we aren't spending 6 figures like some of the brides, but we are also only having 30 guests. We will have full open premium bar, plated dinners with filet mignon and lobster, live music, butler passed apps, specialty table linens, fresh flowers, full size bottles of wine and boxes of hand dipped chocolates for favors. Those are just some of the things, but I think that it's really having nice details and making sure that your guests are really taken care of. 
  • Options
    I would consider mine borderline, so I like to check this board for things.  Our budget is 40k, which for 200 guests in our area isn't black tie or anything, but it is at a private country club, we're offering plated steak or fish, a full open bar, and passed apps.  If we get declines (and 80% of our guest list is OOT so it's likely), I want to upgrade the open bar to premium and the steak to filet, if those two things happen I would consider it luxury.
  • Options
    I also forgot to add we are paying for all of our bridal party's attire and for the girls to get their hair and nails done. Not that that affects the guests, but I figure it was nice to add that in our budget so that nobody has to pay for anything for our wedding at all.
  • Options
     annathy03 said:
    I would consider mine borderline, so I like to check this board for things.  Our budget is 40k, which for 200 guests in our area isn't black tie or anything, but it is at a private country club, we're offering plated steak or fish, a full open bar, and passed apps.  If we get declines (and 80% of our guest list is OOT so it's likely), I want to upgrade the open bar to premium and the steak to filet, if those two things happen I would consider it luxury.
    I can relate to this. When I got married the first time back in 2004, I had what most would consider to be a traditional luxury wedding- premium top shelf bar, extensive cocktail hour, higher end plated choices, extra martini bar, I paid for most of the BMs expenses, etc. TK didn't have this board back then. This time, I had a DW with just the two of us. I consider that borderline because we didn't have any guests, but I spared no expense in ensuring that the wedding was everything we wanted.

• Options
    Hmm.
    I see.

So, our wedding will probably count as luxury then, I guess...?

We're getting married at a Manor (the one used for Wayne Manor in the Batman films with Christian Bale), and serving a five course meal including things like Dressed Cornish Crab Salad (starter), Roast Pave of Sea Bass with Orange Pickled Ginger and Braised Turnip (intermediate course), and Cannon of Kentish Lamb with Roast Butternut Squash and Parmasan Polenta (main course).

The menu should be around £150pp, not including dinner wines.

We're extremely lucky, in the business we're in, we've met a few people here and there.
    The guy responsible for the menu is a good friend, and whilst he himself won't be cooking, has called in a couple of favours, and got this amazing menu down to around £30pp. (The final thing is all still being worked out but it's there or there abouts).

Between the two of us we've worked a few favours for a manager of the security team at the Manor, who has re-paid us by getting us last years cheapest wedding price for our wedding next year.

Also, due to work, top-shelf liquor will be available all night at disgustingly cheap prices.

FI and BM will be in a tux, MoH will be in a full length evening gown.

We're basically holding a black tie event, I think, except it's only for about 20 people, instead of like 200.
    So, maybe things don't always go as planned... Maybe that's okay. I may be alone for now, but my baby boy is on his way, and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Options
    We'll, officially welcome to the luxury wedding board! Of course, anyone is free to post here :) I think regardless of what "deals" you have worked out, it sounds like it's going to be a very nice, higher end event, with you really focusing on properly hosting your guests. So, regardless of how much it costs or how many guests you have, you are doing what it takes to ensure everything is in its place!

• Options
    @legu, I remember your story. Are you back together (and marrying) the same guy who told you it was either him or the baby? And then left you?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    @legu, I remember your story. Are you back together (and marrying) the same guy who told you it was either him or the baby? And then left you?

Wait, what????

• Options

OK, I am going deep into my memory bank for this one. If I remember correctly, her and Fi got pregnant unexpectedly. Fi was not happy. He said it was either him or the baby. She didnt want an abortion and so he left her.

Legu's avatar is a picture of an ultrasound so I assume she kept the baby.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Jells2dot0
    Thank you :)
    We've thrown a whole heap of ideas around in the last couple of weeks, tied down either an informal party-style wedding with everyone we know, or an intimate high end affair with those closest to us, then settled on the latter.
    We're by no means made of money, but we (and the majority of invitees) have a great love of fine food, and we figured this was the ideal reason to pull out all the stops and really treat ourselves and our guests to the absolute best we can get.

@KatWAG
    I'm remembered :) this gives me a fuzzy :)
    I'm not, no.
    The dad and I are actually pretty close again now, he's been a really good dad, and certainly does his part, but it was all a bit too much to get over.
    I wrote about it over on the Etiquette board a couple of weeks back, I'll see if I can find it 'cause it's kind of a long story.
  • Options
    This is the E post:

Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone willing to offer it.

I'm back in the wedding planning boat!! Yay!

[All this bit is background for anyone who recognises me from before. Feel free to scroll.

So, babies dad (R) and I are getting on really well now. He's more than proven himself trustworthy with the baby, and comes to see him all the time, provides for him, et cetera.
    It's not him I'm engaged to.
    I've been close friends with H for a long time, he's seen me through a lot, and vice-versa, and knows all about what happened, previous wedding plans, and so-forth.
    He had some really bad news a while back, and whilst commiserating one night, boundaries were crossed.
    After the birth of my son, it was the best thing that ever could have happened. Instead of all the awkward fvcked-a-friendship stuff in the days that followed, it was, right].

So. I'm getting married to my best friend. Literally. He would have been my man-of-honour at my original wedding, had it gone ahead.

Obviously, like many other girls, I've had my "dream wedding" in my head since I was little. He, being involved in previous planning, knows all about that.

Is it gonna be weird now to replan the dream wedding, with a different FI?
    (This all sounds so bizarre, lol).
    R will be there, I think H will probably ask him to stand up with him, they're close too...

In one sense, I want my dream wedding, but on the other hand, it's all kinda, mixed up between the three of us enough as it is...

I hope that makes kind of sense...
  • Options
    @KatWAG
    Wow...
    I can't figure out how to find my post history (on mobile, if anyone knows).
    I just read through that link... That seems like such a lifetime ago!

Definitely turned out to be the right choice.
    My lil man's just off nine months old now, and the best thing I ever could have hoped for.
    He's such a happy giggly little boy, so as far as I can tell, he's okay with the situation too.
    I'm sure the questions will come in a few years, but, we'll deal with that when it comes.
  • Options
    I am so happy that there is a happy ending to your story!! Congrats!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, I'm saddended to hear about your ex's actions. However, I'm very glad to hear that you found someone who accepts you and your son as you are! It sounds like you'll now have your dream wedding with your dream guy!

• Options
    alm&mdmalm&mdm member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    Legu, Im so happy everything has worked for you. Congrats on your baby boy and finding the man you look forward to sharing your life with. I'm sure it was a tough road, but you got happiness in the end. I hope you'll stick around and share your plans with us, This is a great group.
  • Options
    I agree that it depends on the area. I think we're having a luxury wedding even though we aren't spending 6 figures like some of the brides, but we are also only having 30 guests. We will have full open premium bar, plated dinners with filet mignon and lobster, live music, butler passed apps, specialty table linens, fresh flowers, full size bottles of wine and boxes of hand dipped chocolates for favors. Those are just some of the things, but I think that it's really having nice details and making sure that your guests are really taken care of
    This is us.  We're spending the same amount on our 30 guests as I did for 100+ guests at my first wedding.  High end venue, three different kinds of live music throughout the day, premium open bar plus signature drinks being hand passed upon guests arriving, extensive cocktail hour buffet plus hand passed appetizers, family style dinner with three different meats for everyone, three different desserts. It's in the details, not just the price tag.
  • Options
    Legu, I also remember you from back then and have thought of you from time to time. I'm very happy to hear that things have turned out so well for you and Little Legume.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards