Favors

Socks for dancing?

What do you think about putting out socks for dancing?  Not for favors, but just as a novelty item for any women who want to take off their heels but don't want to dance barefoot?  I was in Target one day and they had a sale on socks. They were normally $3/pair and they had them on sale for $1/pair.  I bought 80 pair!  They are just cute little ankle socks in different colors and patterns.  These do not have non-skid bottoms, these are just plain, regular socks.  I had seen this once before at a wedding and everyone loved them!  The girls were all thrilled to be able to take off their heels and dance without having to be barefoot.  My girlfriend told me it's a bad idea because she was worried that people who are drunk might slip and fall.  I didn't think of that at the time when I bought them!  What do you think?

Re: Socks for dancing?

• I have seen flip-flops as an alternative for people who came in uncomfortable shoes.  But, I would personally never take off my shoes at a wedding.  If you know your crowd would like them then sure.  
  • I think you'll have a bunch of people slipping around and possibly falling. Even with liability insurance that isn't something I would want to deal with.

• I think you'd be better off doing flip-flops as footwear alternative.

Anniversary
  • I'm not a fan of flip flops or socks.  I wear appropriate footwear when I go to weddings.  If I think my heels will bother me, I will keep a spare pair of flats in the car.  Socks also sound dangerous on a dance floor.....people will probably be slipping and falling!
  • Return the socks. Pronto.
  • I would not do this. A basket of socks out at  wedding is weird. People are adults. If they want to dance they'll either wear shoes they can dance in or they'll go barefoot. They know what's up and it's probably not their first rodeo. None of the women I know would wear socks with a cocktail dress while dancing. Never. 

Also....
    *********************************************************************************

• Socks are gross and weird. 

People know to wear appropriate shoes to receptions. 
  • What do you think about putting out socks for dancing?  Not for favors, but just as a novelty item for any women who want to take off their heels but don't want to dance barefoot?  I was in Target one day and they had a sale on socks. They were normally $3/pair and they had them on sale for $1/pair.  I bought 80 pair!  They are just cute little ankle socks in different colors and patterns.  These do not have non-skid bottoms, these are just plain, regular socks.  I had seen this once before at a wedding and everyone loved them!  The girls were all thrilled to be able to take off their heels and dance without having to be barefoot.  My girlfriend told me it's a bad idea because she was worried that people who are drunk might slip and fall.  I didn't think of that at the time when I bought them!  What do you think?
    I think women who are prone to take off their shoes to dance know that in advance and either plan accordingly or don't care if they are in bare feet.  I wouldn't spend the money.  If you're worried about guests in uncomfortable and unavoidable situations, I'd much sooner stock tampons/pads, deodorant/body spray and mouthwash in the bathrooms.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wouldn't.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    When I first replied I thought you meant the ones with the anti-slide stuff on the soles.  ETA: So, as PPs have said, normal socks are probably dangerous and, in my opinion, a little odd.
  • crissyf918crissyf918 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the input.
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time! I already bought them, but only spent $80. No big deal, I can use them for working out. People will be bombed. I don't want anyone to slip and fall. Honestly, they were a huge hit at the wedding I attended that had them. People loved them. And it was a formal wedding at a country club. My guests are more down to earth than snobby. But we are going to be boozing it up with shots and frozen drinks. We have a top shelf open bar for five hours! A lot of them are big drinkers! The socks would probably be a hit with them. BUT.....a lot of them will probably be totally smashed. Prob not a good combo of slippery dance floor, socks, and inebriated guests. Thanks for your feedback, ladies! Not one person thought this was a good idea, so there's my answer. Lol
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time! I already bought them, but only spent $80. No big deal, I can use them for working out. People will be bombed. I don't want anyone to slip and fall.

Honestly, they were a huge hit at the wedding I attended that had them. People loved them. And it was a formal wedding at a country club. My guests are more down to earth than snobby. But we are going to be boozing it up with shots and frozen drinks. We have a top shelf open bar for five hours! A lot of them are big drinkers! The socks would probably be a hit with them. BUT.....a lot of them will probably be totally smashed. Prob not a good combo of slippery dance floor, socks, and inebriated guests.

Thanks for your feedback, ladies! Not one person thought this was a good idea, so there's my answer. Lol

You're going to keep 80 pairs of socks?!
  • I don't think I saved the receipt! Lol! Maybe I can give them out with Halloween candy. Hahaha
  • Maybe you can give a couple pairs out for Christmas? Like a cute little gift with some other things for a mani/pedi or something? We always put socks in stockings.

• I don't think I saved the receipt! Lol! Maybe I can give them out with Halloween candy. Hahaha
    That's hilarious, but I would not risk your house getting TP'd for giving out socks. Try returning them. The worst you'll get is store credit. I can think of a few things I'd buy at Target with $80 in store credit.
    *********************************************************************************

• I always end up buying stupid crap I don't need at Target lol. But yeah, they are decent at store credit. Or if you bought them with a card in the past 30 days (maybe longer), they can look up a receipt for you. 

I would donate them at the very least. I'm sure lots of shelters would be glad to have new socks. 
  • I am a sock fiend. I love socks! I can keep the patterns I really like and donate the rest.

I just had a problem with Target over the weekend. I had my bridal shower on Saturday and somehow ended up with five crockpots and four toasters from my registry! Only one person gave me a gift receipt. Everyone swore they had target take the item off the registry, so I don't know how I ended up with so many duplicates. Anyway, they gave me such a hard time returning the items because I didn't have a receipt! They were the items from the registry that were obviously purchased there! And all we were getting was store credit, so I didn't see the big deal! I was very aggravated by the whole situation. If they gave me such a hard time over this, I can only imagine their reaction over me trying to return socks without a receipt that I bought a couple of months ago!
  • OP - I'm glad to see you've taken everyone's advice well.  I wish more people would do the same!

Agree with others....see if you can return them.  Otherwise, keep some for yourself, stocking stuffers for people who might appreciate them, and donate the rest.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards