Catholic Weddings

NWR, Apparently I am cursed and need to be 'cleansed'.

I am one of 4, we were raised very Catholic, Catholic schools, customs, etc. My mom is  atoxic person. When she is angry she leaves scathing messages on the message machine/voice mail of whomever she is angry with. Usually it is one of her children. A few years ago she left me a message saying she cursed the day I was born and that she never wanted me. I did not talk to her for several months. Life moves on. I keep very strict boundries with my mother, as do my siblings. She has done this to all of us.

One of my sisters says that I have to be cleansed through reliigious prayer. If not I'll carry this evil spirit with me and it will effect my life. This makes me feel like there is something wrong with me. By the way, the last 5 years of my life have been great, before that it was pretty bad, I've had to work out with what I call life issues and things are, my family very happy. The curse came in the middle of alll this. So my life didn't get worse after the curse. And how do you know you've been cursed?

It makes me angry that some people use religion as the end of to all of their problems and it becomes and instrument in their folly. By the way, my mother, says my sister is possesed and we should all pray for her.

Re: NWR, Apparently I am cursed and need to be 'cleansed'.

• Don't worry, your mom doesn't have any power to curse you.

She sounds like a very sick person.  Sorry you have to deal with that.
  • Curses are very real things, and if someone even hints at such a thing, there is no harm in renewing ones baptismal vows, going to confession, receiving the Eucharist, and mentioning to a priest so he can pray a deliverance prayer. We all have spirits attached to us through different sins. This has nothing to do with having something "wrong" with you or whether your life is going well. (Suffering is worth something and brings resurrection)
  • I can kind of agree with Carrie -- there is certainly nothing wrong with using prayer to shake off any negativity you get from your mom, even if your life is going great right now.

And while it might be the hardest thing in the world to do for a person who has hurt you so many times, it sounds like your mom DOES need your prayers.
    Anniversary

• I go to church, take sacrements, work with my priest, etc. Do a lot of work at my parish. It's between me, God, my Priest and my parish. My family isn't involved and don't go to the same parish that I do.

I think it is sad that some people think they can say something to you and put a cloud in your life, when they have no interest in what you do day to day except to critize you and use religion to beat you down.

• "I think it is sad that some people think they can say something to you and put a cloud in your life, when they have no interest in what you do day to day except to critize you and use religion to beat you down."

Who and what are you referring to specifically? While I think you seem to have a good handle on things... it's never a bad thing for someone to show concern. Sure, they might have a different level of concern or different idea of what you are doing, but if they are trying to help you, what's the problem?
  • Yikes. I'm sorry you have such problems in your family. Agree with the posters who said - curses are very real things, and curses from family members are actually some of the strongest.

I'd highly recommend you reading the book "The Rite." I'm not sure if there are other similar resources available, (this is just one that I've read recently,) but it's very eye-opening and theologically explanatory, if you're interested in how the Catholic Church deals with these things (or should; unfortunately many priests don't really believe in the existence of evil and have no idea how to deal with actual possesions or curses or whatever.)
    Anniversary
  • I mean...let me summarize and try to say what I'm saying better:
    so, you all know your mother is a rather crazy, or at the very least toxic person. Your sister things your mother is possessed, or at least you need to be prayed with/cleansed. Your mother claims she cursed you. Your mother claims your sister is possessed. So, at the very least, there are some serious issues with your mother.

In my previous post, I meant to say, at the very least you should be *open* to the possibility that there are spiritual, evil things going on in your family. Knowledge is power. The devil WANTS us think he doesn't exist - that is when he is most powerful. So I'm just saying I think you should do some research into some of the real stories that have happened when people have been cursed and/or possessed. (The book I recommended above is great b/c it discusses this all with healthy skepticism, as we all should have when dealing with anything possibly supernatural.) It's often hard to distinguish between psychological issues and demonic issues. At the very least, while there might not be something "wrong" with you, we are all affected by the negative actions of our parents, whether we realize it or not. If you haven't already done so, then I'd recommend talking with a (Catholic!) counselor to help deal with your feelings that there is something "wrong" with you. And certainly, I don't see how there could be harm in being prayed over by a priest?
    Anniversary
  • Did any of you get the impression I wasn't spiritual? I guess my posted sounded that way. I do have a priest, he has been consulted and we are working on understanding some of my mother and sister's comments.

I've been off the grid as work demands has short deadlines.

My sister apparently has borrowed money from our mother, a lot of it. My sister also made accusatory remarks towards our mom, and embellished a lot.So lots of drama, phone calls late and night, etc.

I did not pick up the phone, but let things go into voice mail. My brother is now involved and we are having a family meeting sometime soon.

Apparently my sister is blessed by the God and the rest of us are not.

So when I said this: I think it is sad that some people think they can say something to you and put a cloud in your life, when they have no interest in what you do day to day except to critize you and use religion to beat you down.

It was about my sister. She has made horrible negative comments and using religion as her way of knowing this information. None of these things are true.

The whole thing is bothersome and I'll wait and see what my priest advises. Thanks for listening and all the great suggestions.

• I'm so sorry for all of this nastiness and drama and pain. I pray that you can work through everything with your family, and your priest and continue on a better path with everyone.
  • You aren't "cursed" at all. & them using that "term" doesn't exist with our religion. They are actually the ones that need to pray and go to confession.

They just don't want to point the finger at themselves so they are targeting you.

Keep your head up and so a prayer to God. Just say to Him that you need help and that you are leaving this in His hands completely. :)

• You aren't "cursed" at all. & them using that "term" doesn't exist with our religion. They are actually the ones that need to pray and go to confession.

First of all, there is simply no way any of us could possibly diagnose the trueness or falseness over the internet of whether some is "cursed." (Even in person we couldn't, you have to be a priest explicitly trained as an exorcist.)

Secondly, you think that term ("curse") doesn't exist in our religion? Really? Try reading your Bible...
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards