Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake slice sizes? Are you SERIOUS?!

So, EVERYONE I have asked has said they LOVE wedding cake and always, always, always want seconds.  My baker says the standard serving size, from which they estimate how much the cake costs, is 2"x2", which is VERY SMALL.  The internet even suggests a 1"x2" serving size is 'typical'- WHAT???  This is NOTHING!  That is a breath of cake, a wisp of cake, practically no cake at all.

We are having about 60 people, and the cake we have ordered is a three-layer cake, with 10", 8", and 6" respectively.  We are not saving the 6" top so we will be cutting that as well, but am I the only person who thinks that this is not enough cake?  I have asked the bakery multiple times if they are sure this is 'ample' cake and they keep reassuring me.

What did you guys do?  Did anyone have a similar situation?  We have ordered a kichen cake, 10", which they claim feeds 35.  If we cut these cakes with reasonably-sized slices, what are we looking at here?  Are we going to run out?

Suggestions and thoughts are more than welcome!

-We've jointly decided to medicate any future marital discord with food.-

Re: Cake slice sizes? Are you SERIOUS?!

• You should be fine.  My DD had the same size wedding cake with a few more guests along with a sheet cake for a grooms cake.  You will be fine.  And I am with you - if you are charging me a few bucks a slice, that slice better be a heck of a lot bigger than 2x2!
  • That is the standard size for a slice of cake. Generally though a slice of wedding cake is 4" tall so it really is a lot more cake than it sounds like. So really it will be 2"L x 1"W x 4"H. 
  • That sounds more or less right - as PP mentioned, the height tends to make up for the width and length being so small.

What we did was tell our baker that we were expecting roughly 110 guests (which is what we figured we would end up with, since we invited 120). However, a lot more people declined their plus one or declined altogether than we had originally guessed would do so, so we ended up with less guests than that. It just meant that there was extra cake, which I know DH was happy about, since that meant that he got to have a slice of each flavor :-)
  • I absolutely had not thought of the height. That's a great point! Whew. I am having those last-weeks-panic-attacks. :D
    -We've jointly decided to medicate any future marital discord with food.-
  • If I were cutting that 10" cake I would so not be getting 35 servings out of it, but that is because I like a hefty piece of cake.

All the PP are right.  The slice dimensions are standard.  Also remember that not every will eat the cake so there will be plenty leftover if anyone wants a second slice.

• I thought the same thing when I started looking at wedding stuff. Everyone tells me that those sizes are more than plenty. My aunt even told me that she has never been to a wedding where the entire cake was eaten.
  • I'm a cake fiend so I over-ordered cake - five tiers that feed 250. My guest list is 14. Plus cupcakes. My priority was everyone enjoying cake and having lots to take home. ISO if I were in your shoes I'd probably at least add some cupcakes to make sure everyone gets plenty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That sounds like you got enough cake.

• 250 servings.  14 guests.

We wanted it to be over the top and gorgeous.  I can't wait to see it! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 250 servings.  14 guests.

We wanted it to be over the top and gorgeous.  I can't wait to see it! 
    So that means each guest will get almost 18 servings of cake?

Why did you go with all cake?  Why didn't you go with some fake tiers?

• I really hope you donate those leftovers or something. Otherwise, that's so much good cake to potentially go to waste. 
  • I didn't want anything to be fake at the wedding; no fake flowers, no fake cake, no fake words.   We're giving everyone pieces to take home, plus we're giving some to my FMIL to give to her neighbors who aren't coming to the wedding (I don't know them so they're not coming.)    We'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't want anything to be fake at the wedding; no fake flowers, no fake cake, no fake words.   We're giving everyone pieces to take home, plus we're giving some to my FMIL to give to her neighbors who aren't coming to the wedding (I don't know them so they're not coming.)    We'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Wait, what?  No fake words.  What does that even mean?

• FI ordered a birthday cake for me (4 servings according to the baker)... easily fed 12 people... and we had tons of left overs...
  • Oh boo hoo, someone's wasting cake.   Quick, call the internet!   Seriously, who cares if I waste some cake on my wedding day?  I paid for it, I can do anything I want with it.   

I don't care if you take your cake and chuck it across the room.  Or stick a piece of dynamite in it and blow it the hell up.  I just think that people are just a bit boggled as to the amount of cake you are having for such a small wedding.  It is just strange.  But I guess in this case you can have your cake and eat it too!

• Oh boo hoo, someone's wasting cake.   Quick, call the internet!   Seriously, who cares if I waste some cake on my wedding day?  I paid for it, I can do anything I want with it.   

HA HA HA!!! I love you. Like seriously, we could be related!

I agree.  I do see it as a bit over the top and would never do it myself but hey, your money, do what you want!  As a guest, I wouldn't mind taking home several slices!
  • edited October 2013
    Thank god I didn't ask you what you thought.   But I am curious - how is a big CAKE a sign of the bride wanting attention?   Wouldn't I wear a big huge dress if that were the case?  Or, I dunno, enter on an elephant?    

I've seen a lot of wackadoodle things on TK but I've never seen anyone order a cake "for attention". 

I ordered a cake because I want a huge cake.  There's no ulterior motive.   

Edited to add: it isn't "for show" since it's perfectly edible.  It serves the purpose of being an awesome cake for my guests and my groom and myself to enjoy.  That just kills you doesn't it.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love cake, and we went with the baker we chose because they were the best choice (and tasty) for what both FI and I wanted. 

But I can admit part of my desire was "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M ACTUALLY GETTING A WEDDING CAKE FROM HERE I WILL HAVE THE BEST WEDDING CAKE OF EVERYONE I KNOW" 

Weddings by definition are a *little* attention whorey. You want 250 servings of cake, get 250 servings of cake. I don't think there was any need to knock the ballgown wearers and elephant riders. 

I also hope you plan to donate the left over cake, not because it makes you a terrible person if you don't (it doesn't) , but because it would be the right thing to do.

Anniversary
  • I absolutely adore ballgowns and if elephants are your thing, rock on, girlfriend.  I was making the point that buying a cake does not make you an AW. Also, the fact that our wedding will only have 14 people kind of supports that: if I were being AW, wouldn't I have invited everyone I know?    

I paid for the wedding I wanted.  I have a magnificent gown, amazing food, a beautiful venue, and a cake that is going to be legendary.  That's not being an attention whore, that's just having a really kick ass wedding.  

I love your chicken.  It is hypnotic. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Chickens are natures steadicams. :)

Anniversary
  • We have 30 guests coming but our cake serves 50 "standard" slices so everyone will be able to have a normal size slice instead of a tiny bite. We're also doing other desserts in addition to the cake.
  • katieg520katieg520 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    @JaneAustensGhost Rock on, gf!!!! People are so quick to judge, call someone rude, PPD, SSS, AW, and all kinds of other crazy shit around here. It's fucking ridiculous and out of hand. I swear, I wonder if some of these people have friends in real life if they behave this way. If you want cake, get the cake!!!!

ETA: I think all those acronyms are ridiculous too. Just things I see.
    Also, any time someone has an opinion different than what the people have posted on here for years they get torn to shreds and bullied. Get over yourselves and move on!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards