Plus-Sized

Reception dress and sneakers?

I want to change my dress into something a lil more flowy and I want to wear maybe converse sneakers. My BM are giving me a hard time but everyone that knows me knows I love wearing sneakers. Im not the dress up kid of girl and I want to be comfortable. Questions is do u think I could pull it off or shud I just do a low heel which would still keep me in my seat??
<a href="http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Free Wedding Vows"><img src="http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt183e45.aspx" alt="Wedding Countdown Ticker" border="0"  /></a>
«1

Re: Reception dress and sneakers?

  • What about something like this? You can also get them customized with your wedding date and names. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • That's exactly what I was taking about or something very similar maybe Justin the purple because of price :)

    <a href="http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Free Wedding Vows"><img src="http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt183e45.aspx" alt="Wedding Countdown Ticker" border="0"  /></a>
  • IMO, go for the sneakers!  I've seen entire bridal parties in converse before. It's not something I would do (I personally don't find converse to be very comfortable), but it's a fun look!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Sumler2Be
  • Honestly, I find converse sneakers, or really, any sneakers really juvenile with a wedding gown or any formal gown. I know people do it, but it looks really immature and very "prom" looking to me.

    I don't think you need to get low heels, but there are some really beautiful flats out there, even with slip proof bottoms that would certainly be more suited to a formal dress than a pair of sneakers.

     

    mcda04
  • Well Im not young anymore but I also hate shoes especially flats LMAO Im just looking to be comfy :)

    <a href="http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Free Wedding Vows"><img src="http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt183e45.aspx" alt="Wedding Countdown Ticker" border="0"  /></a>
  • Sumler2Be said:

    Well Im not young anymore but I also hate shoes especially flats LMAO Im just looking to be comfy :)


    I hear you.  Comfy is a good thing. There ARE comfortable flats though.  As comfortable as sneakers. You just have to find the right pair.  I think if you are past... say, 19 years old.  Sneakers and a dress look ridiculous.  You can certainly still do it, if that's what you want.   But, you asked for opinions... so... I gave it.   :)
    Sumler2Bemcda04
  • I take nothing in offense and yes I do want honest opinions :)   I appreciate it either way
    <a href="http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Free Wedding Vows"><img src="http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt183e45.aspx" alt="Wedding Countdown Ticker" border="0"  /></a>
  • I am not a huge fan of Toms either, but they are much better than sneakers, and have a "wedding" line.

    Ivory, grey, or blue for your "something blue".   or you could go with the sparkly glittery ones.

    http://www.toms.com/womens/collections/wedding-styles/c?view=all

    mcda04
  • If the dress you are changing into is long, then I doubt many people will see what is on your feet. I personally wouldn't wear the sneakers, but if sneakers are "you" then go for it.  No matter what you decide, make sure you have something comfortable on your feet that will keep you dancing all night.   I personally ended the night in bedazzled flip flops.  They were platform flip flops so that my dress would not drag too much. 
    Sumler2BeVen&Radiomelbelleup
  • i am wearing ivory formal shoes for the church and once we get to the reception i will be changing into ivory or white western cowboy boots to incoporate some western into my dress 
    Sumler2Be
  • A little more expensive, but uggs has a bridal line that is pretty darn cute and suuuuuper comfy
    Wedding Countdown Ticker I feel like I'm counting down the minutes until I marry my best friend
    Sumler2Be
  • Trust your gut. I'm wearing a low heel (groom is my height) to church and then will change into matching cons with the groom after dinner. Best of both worlds in my opinion. :)
    Sumler2Be
  • Your wedding is a special day so dress it up! At least for your ceremony and pictures wear a nicer shoe (even if its a flat or small kitten heel)... for dancing/after dinner change into flats or if you really want to you can wear your sneakers at that time....

    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • All the "fancy" stuff I have a beautiful gown in mind with a pretty sparkly wedge shoe I just wanna be comfy after the lights go down and the party starts going :D lol

    <a href="http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Free Wedding Vows"><img src="http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt183e45.aspx" alt="Wedding Countdown Ticker" border="0"  /></a>
  • cemetreesccemetreesc
    10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Love Its
    member
    edited July 2013
    i love sneakers with certain dresses normally.. and... i wore custom converses with my $7,000 lazaro. you couldnt see them unless i lifted my dress. my son and husband wore matching converses as well..
    imageimageimage
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    melbelleupdarlinganastasia
  • I am definitely a big fan of supreme comfort. I love Chucks. Have you considered something like a satin ballet flat ? or isotoner white satin slippers ?
  • Well the sneaker as only to change into for after first dances and all that so that I wont have sore feet the next day and not be able to walk lmao
    <a href="http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Free Wedding Vows"><img src="http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt183e45.aspx" alt="Wedding Countdown Ticker" border="0"  /></a>
  • Is your dress long or shorter? if it's long, wear whatever you would like :) my goal was to just wear plain white flip flops because noooo one will see my shoes under my huge ballgown dress. Once I went looking though I found a pair of sandals I fell in love with and were only $20. I'll take it :)

    After dinner, no one will even look at your feet regardless, do what makes you comfortable and able to dance the night away with your FI.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    Sumler2Be
  • I am totally getting custom Chucks,  I say go for it!

  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 Exit 21 (Jersey!)
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    member

    Honestly, I find converse sneakers, or really, any sneakers really juvenile with a wedding gown or any formal gown. I know people do it, but it looks really immature and very "prom" looking to me.

    I don't think you need to get low heels, but there are some really beautiful flats out there, even with slip proof bottoms that would certainly be more suited to a formal dress than a pair of sneakers.

     

    Totally agree.  I think sneakers with a beautiful wedding dress look ridiculous.  There are plenty of comfortable, flat shoes to wear.  If you can't find them, you're not looking hard enough. I could never imagine wearing sneakers on my wedding day.
    QueerFemme
  • I am wearing converse with my dress for the while thing. my husband, son and the rest of the bridal party is wearing them too. but im not having a formal wedding. 

    All in all, its your wedding. if you want comfort and your Fi is down with it, go with the sneakers. 
  • I am wearing converse with my dress for the while thing. my husband, son and the rest of the bridal party is wearing them too. but im not having a formal wedding. 

    All in all, its your wedding. if you want comfort and your Fi is down with it, go with the sneakers. 
    I'm doing the same! And yes, it's your wedding, wear what you want to wear/think will be comfortable!
    darlinganastasia
  • I am planning on wearing killer red heels for my ceremony but our wedding gift to our whole party is likely going to be custom designed puma's in our wedding colors (Red/Black/White) That way not only can I change and be comfortable but my bridal party  and groom can as well and we will still look put together. Our reception is in a children's museum that has a formal yet fun atmosphere for their hall and the ceremony is in a very formal church.

    We are youngish (28 & 31) so maybe we can get away with it, but I am actually making sure we get pictures with the wedding party in the sneakers as well as all our formal pictures!

    My motto this whole time is do what makes you happy and keeps you sane! After all, who cares if your grandmother or neighbor from when you were 10 thinks it looks tacky, they will never tell you and you will be able to walk the next day!
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 Exit 21 (Jersey!)
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    member
    ashfolio said:
    I am planning on wearing killer red heels for my ceremony but our wedding gift to our whole party is likely going to be custom designed puma's in our wedding colors (Red/Black/White) That way not only can I change and be comfortable but my bridal party  and groom can as well and we will still look put together. Our reception is in a children's museum that has a formal yet fun atmosphere for their hall and the ceremony is in a very formal church.

    We are youngish (28 & 31) so maybe we can get away with it, but I am actually making sure we get pictures with the wedding party in the sneakers as well as all our formal pictures!

    My motto this whole time is do what makes you happy and keeps you sane! After all, who cares if your grandmother or neighbor from when you were 10 thinks it looks tacky, they will never tell you and you will be able to walk the next day!
    That's not really a wedding gift to your party.  Do you really think they'd ever wear red, black and white pumas again?  Let's face it, they're for you, so you can get the cutesy, matching pictures.  If I were in your wedding party, I'd refuse to wear them because quite frankly, they would look ridiculous with a formal dress.  I'm not someone's prop in a photo.
    QueerFemmeshaylagirl

  • JoanE2012 said:
    ashfolio said:
    I am planning on wearing killer red heels for my ceremony but our wedding gift to our whole party is likely going to be custom designed puma's in our wedding colors (Red/Black/White) That way not only can I change and be comfortable but my bridal party  and groom can as well and we will still look put together. Our reception is in a children's museum that has a formal yet fun atmosphere for their hall and the ceremony is in a very formal church.

    We are youngish (28 & 31) so maybe we can get away with it, but I am actually making sure we get pictures with the wedding party in the sneakers as well as all our formal pictures!

    My motto this whole time is do what makes you happy and keeps you sane! After all, who cares if your grandmother or neighbor from when you were 10 thinks it looks tacky, they will never tell you and you will be able to walk the next day!
    That's not really a wedding gift to your party.  Do you really think they'd ever wear red, black and white pumas again?  Let's face it, they're for you, so you can get the cutesy, matching pictures.  If I were in your wedding party, I'd refuse to wear them because quite frankly, they would look ridiculous with a formal dress.  I'm not someone's prop in a photo.
    If someone is going to buy me a custom set of pumas as a thank you gift for being in a wedding, Im going to wear them because someone spent that much money on me and i'm in her wedding.  

  • JoanE2012 said:
    ashfolio said:
    I am planning on wearing killer red heels for my ceremony but our wedding gift to our whole party is likely going to be custom designed puma's in our wedding colors (Red/Black/White) That way not only can I change and be comfortable but my bridal party  and groom can as well and we will still look put together. Our reception is in a children's museum that has a formal yet fun atmosphere for their hall and the ceremony is in a very formal church.

    We are youngish (28 & 31) so maybe we can get away with it, but I am actually making sure we get pictures with the wedding party in the sneakers as well as all our formal pictures!

    My motto this whole time is do what makes you happy and keeps you sane! After all, who cares if your grandmother or neighbor from when you were 10 thinks it looks tacky, they will never tell you and you will be able to walk the next day!
    That's not really a wedding gift to your party.  Do you really think they'd ever wear red, black and white pumas again?  Let's face it, they're for you, so you can get the cutesy, matching pictures.  If I were in your wedding party, I'd refuse to wear them because quite frankly, they would look ridiculous with a formal dress.  I'm not someone's prop in a photo.
    If someone is going to buy me a custom set of pumas as a thank you gift for being in a wedding, Im going to wear them because someone spent that much money on me and i'm in her wedding.  

    Except it's not a thank you gift. It's a prop, to be used in her wedding.  A thank you gift is a gift for someone that matches their style & taste. Like, if I love a certain restaurant, and someone buys me a gift card to that restaurant, that's a thank you gift.  Or, lets say I'm in to collecting dog figurines, and someone buys me one. That's a thank you gift. Because it suits ME and is meant for ME.

    Buying me something specifically to wear in a wedding is really, a gift for the bride.  Because she wants her wedding party to basically, be barbie dolls that she can dress up for her cutsie pictures. 

    JoanE2012
  • I think it's whatever is comfortable for you.  

    As for me, I'm wearing heels for the ceremony and formal pictures (since my FH is 5'11" and I'm maybe 5'3"), but I'm changing into lacy flats for the reception since dancing is on the menu.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Holy opinions.... We are actually getting them other gifts as well, it is for pictures. But also because we will be walking and more comfortable. As far as being props or Barbie dolls, would you say the same about forcing them to wear a suit or dress you picked out? No, you wouldn't. I am really at a loss for how negative people are on here. I can't wait for my 'cutesy' pictures and my bridal party is really excited about getting to design their own shoes. I don't see the problem here nor do I see how it's a bad thing, but whatever.
  • ashfolio said:
    Holy opinions.... We are actually getting them other gifts as well, it is for pictures. But also because we will be walking and more comfortable. As far as being props or Barbie dolls, would you say the same about forcing them to wear a suit or dress you picked out? No, you wouldn't. I am really at a loss for how negative people are on here. I can't wait for my 'cutesy' pictures and my bridal party is really excited about getting to design their own shoes. I don't see the problem here nor do I see how it's a bad thing, but whatever.

    Personally I love your idea! We got our wedding party custom Converse embroidered with whatever they wanted (nickname, name, whatever). We got them other gifts as well. Our wedding party loved the shoes!

  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 Exit 21 (Jersey!)
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    member
    ashfolio said:
    Holy opinions.... We are actually getting them other gifts as well, it is for pictures. But also because we will be walking and more comfortable. As far as being props or Barbie dolls, would you say the same about forcing them to wear a suit or dress you picked out? No, you wouldn't. I am really at a loss for how negative people are on here. I can't wait for my 'cutesy' pictures and my bridal party is really excited about getting to design their own shoes. I don't see the problem here nor do I see how it's a bad thing, but whatever.
    You do know that that there are other options, besides sneakers, that can be comfortable for walking?  

    And I'm not being negative, I'm just being real.  I'm a grown ass woman who just doesn't like the idea of wearing puma sneakers for a formal occasion.  I prefer not to look ridiculous and feel humiliated.
    QueerFemme
«1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards