Wedding Reception Forum

Bride and bridesmaid dance, surprise for groom

So I just saw a video yesterday of a bride and her bridesmaids doing a dance to Justin Beiber's "Baby" at the reception as a surprise for the groom. I would love to do something like this for my fiance as it would completely shock him because I don't dance. So I need suggestions for songs to dance to. I want it to kinda be a love song but I want it to be upbeat. If you have any suggestions that would be great!! Thanks in advance!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bride and bridesmaid dance, surprise for groom

• Ditto Duds.
  • Ugh, please for the love of god do not do this and do not "force" your BMs into doing this either.  Like MilkDuds said, they may say they are ok with it but secretly hate every minute of it.

And as a guest, these dances are always uncomfortable and weird to watch.

• If you don't dance, this is an extremely bad idea.  I did dance team in high school and even though we had routines down cold, nerves always creep up on you as you take the floor and that's when training kicks in to get you through it.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Please don't

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • skip it. you dont need to shock fi or have your poor BP partake in a dance.

• If I was one of your bridesmaids I would hate this.  I hate dancing/being the center of attention and the idea of learning a routine and performing it in front of people and I would be very uncomfortable
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • casymecasyme member
    First Comment
    Your bridesmaids will tell you they think this is a great idea.  They will be lying to you.
  • Wow...I'm shocked at the negative comments that I've gotten from this. I sent the video to my bridesmaids and they are fine with it (they just don't want to do a Justin Bieber song, lol).

Thanks for nothing I guess...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_bride-and-bridesmaid-dance-surprise-for-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:cfaeb640-dabe-42fa-9e3f-bc3cc5630135Post:4c8692b9-e244-4379-85f1-7668cf89173b">Re: Bride and bridesmaid dance, surprise for groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow...I'm shocked at the negative comments that I've gotten from this. I sent the video to my bridesmaids and they are fine with it (they just don't want to do a Justin Bieber song, lol). Thanks for nothing I guess...
    Posted by IdolFan2890[/QUOTE]

You mean "Thanks for not validating my bad idea."  Did you even read the number of people who said if you do not dance this isn't a good idea at all???
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_bride-and-bridesmaid-dance-surprise-for-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:cfaeb640-dabe-42fa-9e3f-bc3cc5630135Post:4c8692b9-e244-4379-85f1-7668cf89173b">Re: Bride and bridesmaid dance, surprise for groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow...I'm shocked at the negative comments that I've gotten from this. I sent the video to my bridesmaids and they are fine with it (they just don't want to do a Justin Bieber song, lol). Thanks for nothing I guess...
    Posted by IdolFan2890[/QUOTE]

<div>Sorry, but if this many people are telling you something is a bad idea, you should probably listen to it.</div><div>
    </div><div>People are just trying to help you avoid embarrassing yourself.  </div>
  • I agree, bad idea.
    Alison - Too stupid to upload a pic
  • edited May 2012
    There's a blog post floating around somewhere about the bridemaid that was forced to dance at the reception as entertainment for the guests.  It definitely comes off as demeaning towards the BMs.

And yes, your friends are going to say it's a great idea but they secretly hope that you will change your mind or not have the time to choreograph the dance.  The BM from the blog I mentioned above was similarly irked about being asked to tan before the wedding and not only did she skip out on the dance practice she didn't tan and therefore stood out in the pictures in all of her pasty white glory.

***BMs are friends, not accessories.***

*And as a guest, I would be amused for about 5 seconds before becoming extremely embarassed for the girls shaking their ass to entertain guests at a wedding.  Do everyone a favor and just hire 2-3 professional dancers if this is something you want.
  • I think it'd be a blast to do, but obvoiusly I'm in the minority. I guess it just depends on who your friends are. If they are fun and really outgoing, then of course they'll be all for it. If they're typically boring people who are zero fun, I'd say yeah, they are just doing it to make you happy. 
  • They are definitely not boring people who are zero fun. Thank you for at least one person saying it would be a blast to do! I'm glad there is at least one supportive person on here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_bride-and-bridesmaid-dance-surprise-for-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:cfaeb640-dabe-42fa-9e3f-bc3cc5630135Post:6a8a7b88-2559-49c1-9d29-808a120ca9b4">Re: Bride and bridesmaid dance, surprise for groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it'd be a blast to do, but obvoiusly I'm in the minority. I guess it just depends on who your friends are. If they are fun and really outgoing, then of course they'll be all for it. <strong>If they're typically boring people who are zero fun</strong>, I'd say yeah, they are just doing it to make you happy. 
    Posted by allisonkbye[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but our friends who were in our wedding are far from being boring people who have zero fun but they also would have laughed in our faces if we asked them to do a choreographed dance.  Those dances are stupid and your guests will hate it even though they won't say it.

• OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2012
    Surprise your groom with a groom's cake, not a dance!  PP have great advice you aren't reading!  If you aren't a dancer, you think you will magically become one for this choreographed surprise?
  • j-harveyj-harvey member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_bride-and-bridesmaid-dance-surprise-for-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:cfaeb640-dabe-42fa-9e3f-bc3cc5630135Post:4c8692b9-e244-4379-85f1-7668cf89173b" rel="nofollow">Re: Bride and bridesmaid dance, surprise for groom</a>:
  • I was in a wedding this weekend in which we were forced to do a dance. I had straight up told the bride I was not comfortable with it. It was awful and not fun at all, and by no means am I a boring person. 

OP, please reconsider this idea. Do a private dance for him later, or a solo act, but leave your BMs out of it.
  • OP, if you came here and asked "I want to gouge out my eyeballs and replace them with checkers, if you have any suggestions, that would be great!", most people aren't going to sit around and debate the merits of a melon baller vs. an ice pick, or tell wax on the advantages of using black pieces instead of red (Although,really the melon baller will do a cleaner job and black goes with everything). They're going to tell you "Hey, bad idea! Don't gouge out your eyeballs!"

You're a  self-admitted non-dancer. And your wedding is not a high school talent show-which is exactly what a bunch of people wearing the same outfit doing a choreographed dance number to a current pop song looks like when performed by people who can't dance.

So listen when everybody says: "Hey, bad idea! Don't gouge out your eyeballs!"

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• I say do it!! People are haters hunny. Ignore all the boring people and definitely go for this awesome idea. The whole point is to go up and embarrass yourself. It's your wedding..have a blast! Btw..all you haters..stop being stuck upand don't discourage her!
  • I agree ultimately this is your wedding and do what makes you happy. Your BM's are grown women and can make the decision to do it or not. I think it's a great idea. To me a woman who admits that she can't dance and does it anyway in front of everyone, has to love their man. Go for it girl! How about Beyonce- Love on Top?
  • PinkjessiePinkjessie member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I am surprised how many people hate the idea! Okay hope this helps make you feel better, my sis suggested doing this and i cringed at first but youtubed loads of vids and actually now think its a great idea! Im getting married next year and im going to be doing a dance! I have six bridesmaids and asked all six. Okay two of them hate the idea so i wont be forcing them but bm are not going to lie to keep you happy they have a mind of their own and you will be happy if anyone wants to sit it out. Im doing it to embarass my hubb as he hates this sort of thing so as it will be a laugh and so what if not fully co ordinated as im not a dancer either but i dont care!! Itll be a five minute laugh for everyone who cares! You do what you want. Im not doing a full blown routine or anything js low maintenance but enough to embarass my hubb ! Do it if you want just have a laugh with it and youll be fine!!
  • Get it girl!  haters be damned.  It's your wedding, your memories, and you know your friends best.  If you trust they will be honest with you, good or bad, and they're on board, go with it.  But, don't compromise their happiness for the evening at the expense of a laugh.  If you have the kind of crowd that will enjoy it, do it!!  There is a great example of groomsmen that did it for the bride on pinterest, it is HYSTERICAL.  good luck to you!!  your day will be amazing no matter.
  • So I have to know, did you do a dance? I'm getting married in March ch 2014 and I am wanting to do this...all my girls are on board as we are all goofy and silly and just wanna have fun!!! PLEASE let me know!!!!
  • The OP hasn't posted actively on the knot since May 2012.  She isn't here anymore.
  • I wonder if everything went well for her. Hopefully, they liked it! Bamagirl- I felt mixed emotions as I read this. I think it's an awesome idea if you're outgoing, but alot of my bridesmaids aren't, and I'm sure not! I would die if someone asked me to do that, I'm actually very nervous about our wedding day. So I guess probably you would really want to consider if your BMs would be comfortable with that. (And I mean really consider, not just assume they would be comfortable. They're still your friends, you would never want to make them uncomfortable.) 
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool idea and everything, I just think that the BP should be comfortable with it. :)
  • So I have to know, did you do a dance? I'm getting married in March ch 2014 and I am wanting to do this...all my girls are on board as we are all goofy and silly and just wanna have fun!!! PLEASE let me know!!!!

I guarantee that even though they say they're on board, inside they're thinking, "Please God no, this is stupid and embarrassing." They just won't tell you that because they don't want to hurt your feelings.
  • OP, please reconsider this idea. Do a private dance for him later.

This is the best advice on the thread. Don't make everyone uncomfortable with silly choreographed dancing at your wedding. If your man has never seen you dance, a private show will be MUCH more enjoyable for both of you!
  • Hi,
    Did you do this in the end? If so how did it go?

We get married May 2014 and this was an idea my bridesmaid came up with together and discussed before they asked me, they even have a list of songs they want to do. Myself and my bridesmaids are all dancers.
  • Hi,
    Did you do this in the end? If so how did it go?

We get married May 2014 and this was an idea my bridesmaid came up with together and discussed before they asked me, they even have a list of songs they want to do. Myself and my bridesmaids are all dancers.

Did you not read that the OP hasn't been back for a year and a half? All I can think of is a bunch of young women belly-dancing for a group of dirty old men, as in movies set in the Middle East. Ugh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards