Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Creative ways to ask a family member to officiate

We would like to ask my Uncle to be our officiant for the ceremony but we wanted to do it in a creative way. I've tried searching for ways to ask online but I can't find anything. Does anyone have any cute ideas for this?

Re: Creative ways to ask a family member to officiate

• We asked a friend to officiate, so I have some experience with this. I don't think this is the time to be too creative. Not to be a downer, but officiating a wedding is semi-serious business. You want him to take it fairly seriously, and I imagine that he would want to see the same attitude from you...? 

You would also want him to feel comfortable declining if he does not want to or cannot officiate, and if you stage a Pintrest-worthy production then he might feel forced to say yes. 

I would just say (in private) "Uncle, we would love to have you officiate our wedding ceremony. We feel like you would do a wonderful job because X and Y. What do you think?" 
  • I think that most officiants need to know that the people who are asking them to conduct a ceremony with serious, lifelong consequences for them understand what they are doing and what they are asking for, and they are going to be very put off by "cute" or "creative" ways of being asked.

Just ask him the same way you would ask someone else to do a serious favor for you.
  • Quoted from another thread:
    "Why not keep it simple? Make him a card and write why it would be meaningful to you and your fiance to marry you both. 

As a person who prefers the comedic approach, I'd get a thrift-store Bible & mark the page with Matthew 7:7 on it, highlighting "Ask & it shall be given, seek & you will find..." In the margins, I'd write something about "We're seeking an officiant for our wedding. We'd like to ask you to be it!" Or something. But that's just me :)"
  • How about a cake? I know corny

• You should definitely put together a flash mob to surprise him next time he's in the produce section of the grocery store and ask him then.

But no, really... Why why WHY does everyone want to turn everything into such  a big, over done production any more?   
  • edited October 2013
    -anjo (aka the future mrs miley :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydo said:
    Quoted from another thread:
    "Why not keep it simple? Make him a card and write why it would be meaningful to you and your fiance to marry you both. 

As a person who prefers the comedic approach, I'd get a thrift-store Bible & mark the page with Matthew 7:7 on it, highlighting "Ask & it shall be given, seek & you will find..." In the margins, I'd write something about "We're seeking an officiant for our wedding. We'd like to ask you to be it!" Or something. But that's just me :)"
    I'm not Jewish or Christian, but I just can't get on board with writing something like this in a Bible.

• Viczaesar said:
    doeydo said:
    Quoted from another thread:

I'm not Jewish or Christian, but I just can't get on board with writing something like this in a Bible.
    Ditto.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards