Wedding Invitations & Paper

3 months? 2 months?

Ok, I have read conflicting things. Do I send out invitations two months or three months prior to my wedding date?

My wedding date is March 1. 3 months prior to that would be Dec 1 and I worry about the invitation getting mixed up with Christmas cards, etc.

Help!!!!

Re: 3 months? 2 months?

• The usual time frame is 6-8 weeks so I wouldn't send them until the beginning of January at the earliest.
  • Ditto PP, 6-8 weeks. If you send them the second week of January you'll miss the holiday card blitz. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• 6-8 weeks is standard.  I have noticed a rise in invites coming out 3 months ahead of time but I think that is way too early.

• The usual time frame is 6-8 weeks so I wouldn't send them until the beginning of January at the earliest.
    This. They won't get lost in the xmas card shuffle and your etiquette will be spot on. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Ok thanks!!

My "checklist" on TK says send it out 3 months in advance but I thought that would be too early. My friends would totally forget to RSVP if they had that much time to play with.
  • 6-8 weeks is good.

For March 1, I would send the first week of January.  Since it's the most depressing week of the year, I'd like to get a wedding invitation in the mail.  
  • Well, I was just told they need the final count and the venue needs to be paid for by Feb 1.... So I'll need all responses by Feb 1. Is one month long enough to get a response?
  • 6-8 weeks is good.

For March 1, I would send the first week of January.  Since it's the most depressing week of the year, I'd like to get a wedding invitation in the mail.  
    You must not be a college football fan ;-) I LOVE the first week of January!

• Oh I AM a college football fan. I am a die-hard LSU alumnae and FAN!!!!! GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!
  • katieg520 said:
    Well, I was just told they need the final count and the venue needs to be paid for by Feb 1.... So I'll need all responses by Feb 1. Is one month long enough to get a response?
    I'd send them out like Dec. 26th-27th. Have RSVP be Jan. 24th so you can find missing ones.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • katieg520 said:
    Well, I was just told they need the final count and the venue needs to be paid for by Feb 1.... So I'll need all responses by Feb 1. Is one month long enough to get a response?
    I'd send them out like Dec. 26th-27th. Have RSVP be Jan. 24th so you can find missing ones.
    Ok thank you so much!!!
  • Seriously, they need the final count a month out? That's crazy! Prepare yourself for the no-shows :( Sorry, but if you have to give your count that far out you are more likely to have people call with regrets. In the time before I had to give my final count (10 days) and the RSVP deadline (16 days before the wedding) I had 3 people call and say something came up. I think venues who have a month lead time are just trying to screw people so they pay for guests who don't come.

• @photokitty Yes, 30 days prior to the event, they need the final count and payment. Sucks. And you're right, they probably are just trying to screw us. Lovely.
  • katieg520 said:
    @photokitty Yes, 30 days prior to the event, they need the final count and payment. Sucks. And you're right, they probably are just trying to screw us. Lovely.
    Sorry :( 

• I don't understand the 30 days out. They probably have multiple events in those 30 days before yours so I know they aren't getting stuff ready for yours that early. Our venue needs our final count 3 days before so they can order the food.
  • I don't understand the 30 days out. They probably have multiple events in those 30 days before yours so I know they aren't getting stuff ready for yours that early. Our venue needs our final count 3 days before so they can order the food.
    Oh absolutely. It's one of the most popular venues in our area, so they are usually booked every weekend.
    Oh absolutely. It's one of the most popular venues in our area, so they are usually booked every weekend.

*stuck in the damn box*

I would ask if they need a final headcount as in, "We will have 150 guests," or if they need a minimum, "We will have at least 100 guests and no more than 150 guests." A lot of places will demand a minimum number that, if you don't meet, they'll charge you the difference, but will let you add to that number as the day gets closer. See if that's the case. If it is, by Feb. 1, you'll have a fair estimate of your guest list -- by one month out, we were only missing about 20 percent of our invites -- and you might be able to work the numbers that way.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • @HisGirlFriday13 They don't have a minimum amount of people, but they do have a minimum "price point" for a Saturday night wedding. Your event must be a minimum of $7500 for a Saturday night because it is a "high demand" night. So, therefore, that would mean you might as well invite as many people as the package you picked would allow to reach the $7500 minimum for a Saturday night. For us, that was 125 people. Well, if we go over that 125 people, they will charge us the overage. So, no matter how many people RSVP, we will be charged for 125 people. I really hope I explained that correctly. It's early, lol.
  • melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2013
    katieg520 said:
    @HisGirlFriday13 They don't have a minimum amount of people, but they do have a minimum "price point" for a Saturday night wedding. Your event must be a minimum of $7500 for a Saturday night because it is a "high demand" night. So, therefore, that would mean you might as well invite as many people as the package you picked would allow to reach the $7500 minimum for a Saturday night. For us, that was 125 people. Well, if we go over that 125 people, they will charge us the overage. So, no matter how many people RSVP, we will be charged for 125 people. I really hope I explained that correctly. It's early, lol.
    Just a question to ask your venue... If you don't hit 125 can you spend the money else where? Upgrade the booze, add appetizers, desserts etc? Or can it purely be by guest count. My brother has to have 200 guests, can't substitute out, but places I was looking at you can change it up to meet their total. Luckily the one I finally picked does not have a min anything.

ETA: My venue also has a 30 day notice needed, but I can add people up until the week before. This might be something to also check on.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Yes, it can be on other things, but it must be set by Feb 1.
  • I'm so glad everyone says 2-3 months. Our families were harassing both my parents and my fiance's parents 5 months out, wondering why they hadn't gotten an invite yet. I got them out last week which was just under the 3 month mark. Not worried about being late anymore. :)
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I sent mine out at 8 weeks because I had family members from out of town that would need to make arrangements to come. I would probably send them after Christmas.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards