Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Dessert Confusion

Watching wedding shows (mostly Four Weddings), I keep seeing them complain if someone doesn't have desserts in addition to the cake at their wedding. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the cake was the dessert? Where did this trend of tons of sweets come from? Just a little puzzled.
 Visit The Knot!                                           image
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dessert Confusion

• Cake is perfectly fine to be served as a dessert.  However, lots of people give a dessert right after the main course and then cut and serve the cake later in the night.
  • Having a cake as the only dessert is perfectly fine.  Stop watching those crazy shows or if you do watch them realize that it is a competition show so of course the other women are going to complain about everything just to make their wedding look better.  The trend is the wedding industry pushing for more over the top and lavish weddings that are completely ridiculous.  I am perfectly content with a slice of cake.  I don't need 10+ other choices at a wedding.  Many times I don't even eat the cake because by that point I am too busy dancing.

H and I only had cupcakes (our wedding cake) as dessert and no one complained that they didn't have a wide assortment of options to choose from.

• As long as you have something for dessert (cake), you're fine. That show is part of the wedding industry that wants you spend a million dollars on a wedding. Ignore them. Cake is sufficient.
    *********************************************************************************

• I think just cake is fine!  The only reason we are having a second desser option is because FI and I really really  wanted it!  As the PP already said the idea of a dessert bar is crafted by the wedding industry which wants you to buy into the idea you need to spend 100x's more then you really need to. 
  • Just cake is fine...  We are also doing a S'mores bar because, well, S'mores are awesome and we are having a winter wedding.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • You're right; cake is dessert. These bitches be crazy...and also, keep in mind many of their weddings are planned with pretty substantial budgets. 
  • I've only been to two weddings that had dessert plus cake-one had a full Venetian hour, the other had an ice cream sundae bar, which was added at the last minute because they were way under their venue minimum, so they had money to spare.

Just cake (or pie or brownies or cookies or ice cream or whatever you choose as your sole dessert) is fine and in my experience, the only thing expected.
  • Oh I have no intention of serving a bunch of dessert. I was just wondering when this trend started. Every wedding I've been to, the cake was the dessert and that's how my wedding will be. And whoever said those bitches are crazy on those shows... so true.

Although my dad did say he wouldn't complain if there was some ice cream to go with the cake.
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh I have no intention of serving a bunch of dessert. I was just wondering when this trend started. Every wedding I've been to, the cake was the dessert and that's how my wedding will be. And whoever said those bitches are crazy on those shows... so true.

Although my dad did say he wouldn't complain if there was some ice cream to go with the cake.
    I am with your Dad on the bolded :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards