Second Weddings

White?

Please tell me it is OK to wear white. I want to feel like a bride.

I did not wear white at my first wedding 21 years ago and I eventually came to regret it.  If memory serves me correctly, only one person at the wedding complimented my wedding dress and it really did look good on me...but it was blush pink.

Re: White?

• I wore white. You want to wear white? Wear it and have a wonderful time! Own and radiate, rather than wearing something you think you "should" and not feel as confidant. It is totally OK to wear white! GL! :-D
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thank you Kitty.  I watch the wedding shows all the time, and I see people doing it, but I know the issue will come up.  I just don't look good in Ivory and I've already done pink.. 
  • I wore white, ivory makes me look sallow - so white it was and a full blown wedding gown as well.  Wear white - enjoy your day and have a wonderful time. 

Welcome to the board!!
  • Wearing white is perfectly acceptable for any bride just as it is perfectly acceptable for any bride to wear a colored dress (a dear friend of mine wore plum, and it was exquisite).  Enjoy the compliments you are going to get on your gorgeous gown! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm wearing white. I tried on ivory dresses and just felt like they looked dirty or old. I loved the fresh look of white, so that's what I'm going with. I've been married before and I have a dirty. My philosophy is they're gonna talk anyway, so give them something to talk about, lol.
  • You go girl.  Thanks for the replies.
  • katieg520 said:
    I'm wearing white. I tried on ivory dresses and just felt like they looked dirty or old. I loved the fresh look of white, so that's what I'm going with. I've been married before and I have a dirty. My philosophy is they're gonna talk anyway, so give them something to talk about, lol.
    I have no idea what I meant when I said "I have a dirty." WTF!! Typo seriously!
  • Let's all be a little honest here and see how many people should have been wearing white the FIRST go around! If the idea is a person can't wear white on her second wedding because she isn't pure enough.... Well let's just say I wasn't much more pure the first time and I know a lot of brides that also should have maybe been in ivory (or grey :D)!

I think you should wear whatever you want! I'm going to. I've decided that not only can I wear white, but I also don't have to. I've been looking at all kinds of dresses!
  • Let's all be a little honest here and see how many people should have been wearing white the FIRST go around! If the idea is a person can't wear white on her second wedding because she isn't pure enough.... Well let's just say I wasn't much more pure the first time and I know a lot of brides that also should have maybe been in ivory (or grey :D)! I think you should wear whatever you want! I'm going to. I've decided that not only can I wear white, but I also don't have to. I've been looking at all kinds of dresses!
    Amen girl!!! I was 6 weeks pregnant at my first wedding, lol. I wore white then, too!!! ha ha ha!!!!
  • Amen ladies. They make maternity  wedding dresses in white! 

Thanks girls.  I had told my future MIL that I was wearing white, she is observant Catholic, and she reminded me that white was for women who are pure.  Hell, I'm 50 years old and was married for 20 years.  It just got me a little insecure.  

• I wore ivory, but only because it looks better on me than white.  Wear whatever you'd like and congratulations!
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Actually white among European royals was the color of deepest mourning, Queen Victoria is attributed for starting the trend of wearing white for weddings. 
  • Unfortunately or fortunately, the color white isnt only for virgins any more. It is the one day that you get to be the center of attention with your groom. Wear what makes you happy. As you know, the color of your dress the first time make a lasting impression in your mind. Wear the dress you want to always thinking fondly of for years to come. 
  • Absolutely! It is actually the veil, I think, that symbolizes purity. Am I right?
  • I'm wearing ivory lace with a champagne underlay but primarily because I wanted something that looked  rustic and antiqued.   I wore white at my first one when I "shouldn't" have.  Wanna wear white?  Do it!
  • katieg520 said:
    Absolutely! It is actually the veil, I think, that symbolizes purity. Am I right?
    Correct!  The white dress business started when Queen Victoria wore a white gown for her wedding in 1840 and the trend took off. Before that, brides would simply wear their best dress, whatever color it may have been.  Someone decided it was about purity and then that took off.

Slowly the attitude is becoming that veils are also fine for second time brides, as long as they aren't blusher veils. Oy.

I'm wearing a veil, just like I wore one to my first wedding when I had "no business" being in white or a veil ;)  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WonderRed said:
    I'm wearing ivory lace with a champagne underlay but primarily because I wanted something that looked  rustic and antiqued.   I wore white at my first one when I "shouldn't" have.  Wanna wear white?  Do it!
    My dress is champagne with ivory lace also!  I felt that it would look better with the fall colors, plus the wedding will be outside.  Wear whatever you want!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • katieg520 said:
    Absolutely! It is actually the veil, I think, that symbolizes purity. Am I right?
    Correct!  The white dress business started when Queen Victoria wore a white gown for her wedding in 1840 and the trend took off. Before that, brides would simply wear their best dress, whatever color it may have been.  Someone decided it was about purity and then that took off.

Slowly the attitude is becoming that veils are also fine for second time brides, as long as they aren't blusher veils. Oy.

I'm wearing a veil, just like I wore one to my first wedding when I had "no business" being in white or a veil ;)  
    I wore a birdcage veil for my second wedding. I'm not sure if it is technically a blusher, but who freaking cares. Some of the rules are just stupid - NOT ALL of the rules mind you ;-) But wear white, if you want, wear a veil, if you want. What you wear has nothing to do about having a properly hosted event - which is what etiquette should focus on IMHO :)

• katieg520 said:

I wore a birdcage veil for my second wedding. I'm not sure if it is technically a blusher, but who freaking cares. Some of the rules are just stupid - NOT ALL of the rules mind you ;-) But wear white, if you want, wear a veil, if you want. What you wear has nothing to do about having a properly hosted event - which is what etiquette should focus on IMHO :)
    I agree!  Rules as they pertain to the comfort of guests are of the utmost importance (get the invites right, send the thank-yous promptly, spend time with guests etc).  I have never left a party thinking "What a great hostess she was!  If only she hadn't ruined that by wearing white!"

I believe birdcage veils get a pass ;)  Veils also didn't always symbolize purity either- there was a time before that when the groom's lifting of the bride's veil symbolized that he was taking possession of her as his property.  I don't see many brides lining up for that, yet so many veils!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HikeBanditHikeBandit member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2014
    My sister is getting married for the second time and her beau doesn't want her to wear a wedding dress (because she's not a virgin?). She is very interested in a Rosa Clara pale pink wedding dress (http://www.rosaclarabridal.com/item/110-umbrar) as a compromise. It's a wedding gown, but not white. The parents think pink is outrageous. Are there better compromises we haven't thought of?
  • edited January 2014
    There is a bride on the boards wearubg navy, another wore hot pink and another red. She can wear any color she wants. However, i sincerely hope her fi isn't protesting white bc she's not a virgin...that's a pretty ridiculous reason. She should wear whatever color she feels the best in.

I wore a white pageant gown instead of a bridal gown. It was perfect for me.

• These days you can wear whatever color you want and no one else should be able to tell you what color to wear. I'm wearing ivory because white washes me out and I always dreamed of a white/ivory wedding gown. But I love that some of the brides on these boards wore hot pink or red or blue. Wear what makes you happy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wear whatever you feel beautiful in I will be wearing white and a veil. I wore hot pink when I married my ex. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards