Luxury Weddings

Theme and color

I'm really having a hard time to pick the color and the theme for the wedding?
If anyone can help me with this question
I am getting married during Summer time.

Answers

• I am not sure why there is so much fuss about a theme.  Can't the theme for a wedding be 
    "wedding"?  As for color, summer is the easiest because just about anything will work (pastels may look silly during the winter in some places).  Close your eyes and picture your maids walking down the isle.  What is the color that first comes to mind?  Open your closet.  What color do you typically wear?  Even black dresses, of an appropriate style and fabric, will work in the summer. 
  • Think about what kind of atmosphere you want at your wedding. Are you going for super romantic or fun and relaxed? Sometimes the color schemes can come from that. Bright colors for an outdoor or party atmosphere wedding. Soft colors like blush and cream for a more romantic feel. If you can give us some more information about what you're going for we could probably help a little more.
  • I don't really get the idea of having a "theme."  My color for my May wedding will probably be Tiffany blue, which I think is great for a spring/summer wedding.  I would also think about what colors look good on your bridesmaids - I wouldn't do pale yellow because it would wash out a few of my (paler) bridesmaids.  
  • Skip the theme unless it is something that really means something to you as a couple.  We had a wine theme, but that is because our first date was at a wine bar, we attend a lot of wine tastings together and it has become a shared hobby of sorts.  We got married at a vineyard so it all just "fit" for us. Our wedding invitations were shaped like wine bottles, our centerpieces were flower arrangements with a personalized wine bottle with a wrough iron candelabra in the center, our cake was decorated with fondant grapes and vines and sat on wooden wine crates, our tables were named after different wine varietals and our favors were sets of wine cork coasters wrapped in a purple ribbon (our color).

Summer is easy...just find a color you love and go with it.

• Decide the vibe you want at your wedding - modern, casual, funky, luxury, etc. Once you decide, pick a couple of colors that speak to that. Just build off your colors and your desired vibe - no need for a "theme" per se - everything will fall into to place.
    *********************************************************************************

• I think depending on the theme it can help keep you on track so that your wedding doesn't end up a hodge poge of stuff. I know I see so many cute ideas for wedding stuff and if I started using everything my wedding would look like a big jumbled mess. I picked a few things that we both like and a color scheme to help me stay on track with what I wanted to do
  • Some color schemes are harder to pull off than others.  Black & white, red&black, and pink&black are TOUGHIES.  I mean, I don't think I have ever seen it pulled off well, although I'm sure it has been.  I prefer bright colors for summer affairs, personally.  

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Ajuliana said:
    Some color schemes are harder to pull off than others.  Black & white, red&black, and pink&black are TOUGHIES.  I mean, I don't think I have ever seen it pulled off well, although I'm sure it has been.  I prefer bright colors for summer affairs, personally.  

I did black and white for my first wedding and got nothing but raves. I think it is because I kept things simple- simple patterns, no overkill on black, and clean lines. Everything I chose was classic and simple, yet tasteful and high end. If I ever was to have a formal wedding again (even if I did divorce again, I'd never have another big wedding, so fat chance!), I would absolutely consider black and white. I would share pics, but I'm not sure I have any decent ones that would reflect the affect of the color combo. Just wanted to say it is possible. I just remember walking into the ballroom and gasping at how amazing it looked.

• I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said it's difficult. So props to you!

Previously Alaynajuliana

• I should have said it was possible if you really pay attention to how you're doing it. I thought about it some more after I posted and I really only used black in certain accent pieces- borders on invites, font, ribbon on the menu cards, ribbon on the favors, and the BM dresses. So, it wasn't black spattered everywhere. I also think it had a lot to do with the ballroom itself. Not every ballroom can support every color scheme. 

• We didn't want a true color palette or "theme" - but we used a painting as inspiration for the overall feel of the event. We looked to Seurat "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte" as the inspiration for everything.

Elements such as boats, a park, parasols, the colors, nature, birds, trees, park activities were loosely pulled from this.  The photo booth fits this (as I said...loose interpretation!) as a "fun" activity, our venue overlooks gardens and a fountain, a lot of stained glass in the venue (more of a time period match, but whatever), tree bark table numbers, pinks in flowers, some bird decor, etc. 

See if there is any photograph or work of art that you really like the feel, and then emulate that. You don't need to directly copy or take it literally, but it can lead you in some good directions. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I have found that my venue has helped to set a theme just as much as my own tastes have.  If you have a color or two you like then start there.  Once you find a venue you can look to it and the surrounding area for further inspiration.  For me, my ceremony and cocktails are outside with the reception inside.  My venue has green trees and is surrounded by a farm, so I am using more of a "garden theme" to tie everything together. 

• We aren't having a "theme"

Our venue is stunning and our colors are black/white/red.

Actually, it is more like the guys are wearing black tuxes - my FH will wear a white vest, the other GM will wear red vests, and the BM are wearing red dresses.

The flowers are simple and clean and classic - either red or white roses.

I think themes can really be an overkill.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • All I think about when I see that painting...image
  • Majelin86Majelin86 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2013

We don't have a 'theme' really, just colours - black & red.

When I think of summer I think of bright colours. But really you can do whatever colours you like.

• I agree with everyone who said to just skip the theme!  Weddings don't have to have themes, and in fact, they can feel forced if they don't come about organically.  You don't even have to have colors if you want to.  Just pick some dresses that you like and try to pick things that match with it.  The venue can help give you some inspiration if you still can't figure it out.  Is it a ballroom that's more formal, or is it casual on the beach?  
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • I concur on the no theme. It usually ends up being cheesy. You can add touches but don't go crazy. For instance, we are embracing the city we love and naming all our tables after Chicago neighborhoods and our favors will be different edible Chicago treats. But we aren't decorating with paper skylines or naming drinks or food items or anything like that. 

I''d also say really think about your venue when you select colors. I always dreamed of having a purple wedding. My venue though is pink marble and gold accented. So rather than have purple fighting with the room all night, I decided to embrace the pink and add in emerald green to give it a punch. I'm having a winter wedding so that also allows us to pull in some evergreen as a nod to the season.
  • Ditto PPs, themes usually end up cheesy if they don't "fit" the couple (FIs cousin met his wife in a bookstore so they incorporated books in their centerpieces and named the tables "Chapter 3", etc).

As to colors, we picked ours by looking at the linen options our venue could get and picking our favorite (a dark teal) and a color that complemented it (silver).
  • Definitely stick to bright colors since your wedding in the summer.
  • My two cents - the trouble with themes is that they seem better suited to children's birthday parties than weddings.  I like the idea mentioned above about using a beloved painting as inspiration.  It's when the line is crossed from inspiration to overkill that it loses the appeal for me.  For example, a nautical theme can be cute, if it fits your venue, but when every single thing must be nautical, it looks too contrived.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards