Second Weddings

Dress from your first wedding?

What did you do with yours?  I'm remarried now and my dress from my first wedding is still hanging in a closet at my mom's house.  I never got it cleaned or preserved or anything, and then when we split, I didn't know what to do with it.  I certainly didn't want to invest any money into it either-it needs some minor repair.  Anyhow, I just heard about Brides Against Breast Cancer and will likely donate it there.  

As for my dress from my wedding to H, I am cleaning, repairing, and preserving it for my daughter someday, if she wants it.  I can't bear to the thought of getting rid of it.  
Meddied since 6/15/13!

Re: Dress from your first wedding?

• edited October 2013
    There is a thread on here somewhere about this that asked this question... ;-p
    I still have my first wedding. I would like to give it away. I looked at brides for cancer, but I wasn't willing to pay shipping AND $40 for them to clean it. I figure they buyer should clean it - why wouldn't they after it has been shipped city to city and tried on countless times? I have heard that some churches have community dresses for brides to borrow if they can't afford one. I''d really love to find one of those churches and give it to them bc it is a gorgeous princess gown.

I am going to keep my second wedding dress with the intention of letting future daughters play dress up in it. I don't think anyone would want to wear it and I wouldn't want to put the pressure on them to do so. I know I wouldn't have been willing to wear my mom's even if she had it, but I would have felt obligated if she offered. No offense :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Oh, none taken!  My mom had her dress, and when I got married the first time, we took it out of the box to see it.  She was married in 1971, so it was an a-line dress with trumpet sleeves and a high neck, not my style.  Plus she's about 5'3" and I'm almost 5'8" so it wouldn't have worked out regardless.  I won't mind if my daughter doesn't want to wear my dress.  I'm keeping it for my sentimental reasons.  

I may have to look around and see what other options there are for donation.  :)
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • My first dress was donated to Goodwill.  My dress from our wedding is hanging in a closet, either my DSD will use lace and/or other materials from it when she gets married or I may use it for my reverse quinceanera party.
  • In a box in my closet, with my second wedding dress.  I doubt my DD will wear either, due to size, height & style.  Oh well. 
  • I donated mine to a thrift shop....I wonder if they take broken ex-husbands too....probably not. 
  • I think my mom gave it to Goodwill or something like that. It was in her house for a while and we both just decided to get rid of it.
  • Mine 1st one was just a normal everyday dress, I have no idea what happened to that. My 2nd one from my 2nd marriage I tried and tried to sell, it was so beautiful but no one waned to buy it. I ended up giving it to my ex MIL from my 1st marriage for a garage sale or something....she may still have it.
  • Mine sat in my mom's closet for a few years and then I took it to a bridal consignment shop.  Unfortunately, it didn't sell within the time frame for me to get any money, but I decided just to leave it there so they can still sell it.  It wasn't a very expensive dress, so it's not much of a loss and honestly, I'm just glad that it's gone. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My friends used her as a costume for halloween. She was a bride Zombie.. lol
  • edited November 2013
    I gave mine away. My friend wanted it and I wasn't using it.
  • It's in its bag under a guest bed at my parents house. I know there's nothing I'll ever do with it ever again but I can't part with it. It was perfect and I'm struggling to find something I love as much for my second wedding. 
  • It's in its bag under a guest bed at my parents house. I know there's nothing I'll ever do with it ever again but I can't part with it. It was perfect and I'm struggling to find something I love as much for my second wedding. 

:( I have real sympathy. I'm sorry you love it so much! I know you will be able to find SOMETHING you love as much and if nothing else, a FI that is a much better fit. :)
    :( I have real sympathy. I'm sorry you love it so much! I know you will be able to find SOMETHING you love as much and if nothing else, a FI that is a much better fit. :)
    Thanks! I'm certain I will. I have my eye on one I'm 97% sure about! And my FI is definitely a better fit, as I am older and wiser :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards