Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wearing Black

2»

Re: Wearing Black

• I've worn black to a wedding. I looked great. You will too.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • My best party/reception dress is black.
  • JoanE2012 said:

kitty8403 said:

I would side-eye all black. It really does rub me the wrong way. I'd rather see someone wear white or cream!
    I would be totally cool with a black skirt or a black dress accompanied a bright or sparkly wrap, colorful belt & accessories, and killer shoes. Or a black dress with a colored jacket or sweater.

I would NEVER wear all white to a wedding....the bride can have that color for the day.  Black on the other hand, perfectly acceptable.

OP - I think the black dress is fine!  Accessorize it or add in a bit of color with a wrap and you're good to go!

^Going for hyperbole there, just making the point that I *really* hate all black for women at weddings. A short cream or ivory dress that's obviously non-bridal would bother me less, but I consider both quite inappropriate, and that was my point.
  • I was a best woman in a wedding Columbus Day weekend and my dress was black.  The dress is actually my favorite "bridesmaid" dress out of the 4 weddings I've been in.  I got a ton of compliments on  the dress.  Definitely wouldn't judge someone wearing black at a wedding.

• Well, given that the poll says 9% would rather see any other color (than black) and 91% wouldn't think twice about it, I'm going to buy the dress. Yay!!

Also, @KatWAG - I had never heard of Bauble Bar. Wow! I think I feel like Littlefoot must have felt when he finally found the Great Valley! :D

*********************************************************************************

• @southernbelle0915. I LOVE bauble bar. The quality is pretty good for how cheaply it is priced.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • IMO I think black dresses are very pretty. When looking at BM dresses, my FMIL tried on a dress for the wedding and one option was black and I absolutely loved it because it looked very eloquent on her.I am sure it would on many others as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If anyone can find a dressy dress that isn't black, I want to know.  I just attended my high school reunion.  I looked everywhere possible for a dinner dress and couldn't find anything other than black.  It wasn't my first choice, but I needed a dress and that seems to be the only color they're making this year.
  • That dress is gorgeous!!!!! Personally I wear black a lot to weddings.  I usually add some color pop (shoes/wrap/what-have-you) and then some nice sparkly jewerly and it always looks great.  I say go for it
  • Charming Charlie's has a website that you can order from now, too!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I love the dress! I just wore an LBD to a good friend's wedding in September (weekend after Labor Day). I accessorized with killer heels (also black, but who doesn't love good black pumps?), pretty jewellery, and kind of sexy hair. 

I think the line of demarcation is whether the black dress is something you would wear to a funeral. If it IS -- then don't. If it's NOT -- then do it!

Also, I would side-eye the ever-loving crap out of someone who wore white/cream/ivory/ecru/eggshell or any other shade of white to a wedding. Hell no. That's the bride's colour, and you don't wear it.
    I wore a black dress to a wedding in September too. I thought it was navy when I asked to borrow it, but it was clearly a cocktail dress and not a funeral gown. I paired it with a colorful belt and bag and nude pumps.

I think it would be weird to wear a black dress to a daytime wedding though.
    Anniversary
  • Black is chic & classic. Rock it! 
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013

kitty8403 said:

JoanE2012 said:

kitty8403 said:

I would side-eye all black. It really does rub me the wrong way. I'd rather see someone wear white or cream!
    I would be totally cool with a black skirt or a black dress accompanied a bright or sparkly wrap, colorful belt & accessories, and killer shoes. Or a black dress with a colored jacket or sweater.

I would NEVER wear all white to a wedding....the bride can have that color for the day.  Black on the other hand, perfectly acceptable.

OP - I think the black dress is fine!  Accessorize it or add in a bit of color with a wrap and you're good to go!
    ^Going for hyperbole there, just making the point that I *really* hate all black for women at weddings. A short cream or ivory dress that's obviously non-bridal would bother me less, but I consider both quite inappropriate, and that was my point.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. 

^how does it make no sense to use the idea of wearing all-white, which we all understand is a huge no-no, to make the point that all black is equally inappropriate for a wedding? I am
    surprised at the number of people who recognize that white is *obviously* wrong (except possibly as
    a short dress, but even then questionable) but still think black is acceptable.

ETA: you don't wear all white, red or black because you don't want to take away from the happy occasion. Red is sexy and draws attention. Black is negative. White gives a positive vibe, but the bride is wearing it, so that should be respected for a day. This is a poll--IMO, all three, unbroken by other colors, are things I would side-eye the heck out of.
  • I guess every Indian bride ever is trying to be sexy and an attention-whore...
  • PDKH said:
    I guess every Indian bride ever is trying to be sexy and an attention-whore...
    Exactly!  I was partially thinking of all the gorgeous pictures of Hindu weddings I have seen when writing my post. . . where the bride and her guests wear reds, purples, blues, greens, etc.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I wear black ALL THE TIME!!!!! Black is classic, timeless, classic!
  • The point with wearing black is that you're not supposed to look like you're in mourning. Since you wouldn't eat a cocktail dress or gown to a funeral you're set.

PPs can have the opinion that they don't like them but black is perfectly within the bounds of proper etiquette.
  • First off, cute dress and great deal!  Though, with that said, I'm not a fan of black dresses at a wedding, unless it is an evening wedding.

I was at a friend's wedding over 15 years ago and the biggest thing I remember about it is one of the guests wore a black, strapless cocktail dress to a mid-day wedding at a park.  It was just so "off".  And, yes, I feel like a terrible person that this is what I remember best about her wedding, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Why would anyone ever side eye this? This is my favorite and most versatile LBD outfit & wedding accessories. 
  • First off, cute dress and great deal!  Though, with that said, I'm not a fan of black dresses at a wedding, unless it is an evening wedding.

I was at a friend's wedding over 15 years ago and the biggest thing I remember about it is one of the guests wore a black, strapless cocktail dress to a mid-day wedding at a park.  It was just so "off".  And, yes, I feel like a terrible person that this is what I remember best about her wedding, lol.

Yes - they are both evening weddings. The one this weekend has the ceremony starting at 6pm and the reception at 7pm and the one in December has the ceremony at 5:00 (or 5:30 - I'd have to go back and look at the invite), then cocktail hour then reception.

I agree the outfit you witnessed would seem "off." A couple of years ago, some dear family friends of ours had a casual (yes, "rustic") outdoor wedding at a cider mill complete with barn reception. The girlfriend of the groom's brother/groomsman wore a strapless, SUPER short, satin tube dress that had a design like splatter paint and wore 5 inch stilettos (which she ended up taking off because they kept sinking into the grass - derrrr!). It was.... memorable.
    *********************************************************************************

• ElcaB said:
    Why would anyone ever side eye this? This is my favorite and most versatile LBD outfit & wedding accessories. 
    Hahahahahahaa!! Love it. 
  • I always wear black unless outdoors. It's simple and classic.
  • Black is a classic and timeless color, and is always appropriate.  Our entire wedding party wore black and they looked awesome.
  • Alex3Mom said:
    If anyone can find a dressy dress that isn't black, I want to know.  I just attended my high school reunion.  I looked everywhere possible for a dinner dress and couldn't find anything other than black.  It wasn't my first choice, but I needed a dress and that seems to be the only color they're making this year.

@alex3mom try rent the runway. It is one of my favorites.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I asked my BMs to just wear LBDs.  They looked fantastic.  
  • I don't understand the no black. My bridesmaids will be wearing a black too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards