Nevada-Las Vegas

Unexpected Guests

Due to some unexpected changes in guests financial positions some guests who said no after our save the date are now coming to the wedding.

Im sure there may be other guests who could pull out closer to the day - but moral is dont rule anybody out!

I remember when we started planning we thought we would only have 20 guests. We already have 22 Yes RSVP not counting another 6 who have bought their air tickets but just not RSVPd lol.

Anybody else got/had some unexpected guests?

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

Re: Unexpected Guests

• We had two show up the day of the wedding after saying no to RSVP, they ended up in Vegas for work but gave no notice they were coming, luckily the venues addd them without a problem. I the last three weeks before wedding I had 4 have to cancel for medical reasons and 4 who were able to come at the last minute, so that worked out well. But the 2 who randomly showed up....
  • Haha if anyone does that at my wedding they will be sitting on someones lap starving. My family like to do the whole 'surprise' thing. So my response will be 'surprise - no food for you'.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I know I wouldn't be a happy camper if random friends decided that it was ok just to show up
  • We had two guests that at first said no and then a week before booked their flights.  Luckily our venue had a policy to let you change numbers up to three days prior to our wedding.
  • We're just sending out STDs this month, so no official RSVPs yet, but FMIL insisted on inviting a few neighbors swearing up and down they wouldn't come.  STDs aren't even in the mail yet and one of those couples has already booked their flight!  We're prepared for 100% attendance, but it just goes to show you can't count on declines.
  • This is the kind of stuff I'm worried about!  We are doing our RSVP deadline 8 weeks out so we have time to plan the menu/drinks, etc..  If people show up or change their mind at the last minute it will throw our budget off!  
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • We are dealing with this right now- our RSVP date is December 1st and we have about 10 people floating in the breeze (driving me nuts!) and 2 people who originally said they couldn't come just told us they are now coming and oh by the way, want to bring their two (adult) children and their partners, so that is an additional 6 people we weren't anticipating....we have budgeted for 60 and so far we are at 55 now with just those other 2 so I may be having to pay for 10 more people (which is nice that so many people are coming, but still- my hard earned $$$). I have a feeling that as we get closer we will have some drop outs, so I am thinking it is fine either way, but I am like WTF!
  • I know its hard, and im probably going to crack but ive vowed not to let anybody else bring people to my wedding unless its a significant other that i didnt know about.

Sure they can travel to Vegas with whomever they please but our wedding is not a free-for-all.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Haha if anyone does that at my wedding they will be sitting on someones lap starving. My family like to do the whole 'surprise' thing. So my response will be 'surprise - no food for you'.
    Caterers always make a little extra, generally 10%, because 1) this happens often with RSVPs and 2) sometimes food gets dropped or people change their mind about which dish they want. Showing up after RSVP-ing "no" is rude, but not feeding a guest is even worse. Two wrongs don't make a right, etc.
  • ktbabe530 said:
    This is the kind of stuff I'm worried about!  We are doing our RSVP deadline 8 weeks out so we have time to plan the menu/drinks, etc..  If people show up or change their mind at the last minute it will throw our budget off!  
    Even if you get RSVPs in that early (some people might not know until four weeks out due to work schedules and such), always give yourself a buffer. If they truly don't show up that night, then you can use that extra money for other things.
  • Caterers always make a little extra, generally 10%, because 1) this happens often with RSVPs and 2) sometimes food gets dropped or people change their mind about which dish they want. Showing up after RSVP-ing "no" is rude, but not feeding a guest is even worse. Two wrongs don't make a right, etc.

I'm sorry but our seating will be limited to our final number of guests. Our reception is in a restaurant so its not that I dont think there will be sufficient food - its that I wont be moving tables and chairs around to accommodate that rudeness.

Why should my other guests who responded accordingly have to be uncomfortable (ie cramped seating) to squeeze in extras. If we just happen to have spare seats or last minute cancellations they would be welcome to them. Im absolutely NOT setting extra place settings for "just in case".

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Mo i love the way you respond to things that i would no doubt be b***hy lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh Pinky, I aim to please! Look I want to do things properly and host guests well but a line does need to be drawn somewhere.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Its true i have had about 8 people invite them selves ... We are pushing it on space right now 83 invited 60 seats in through chapel ha!10 will be standing with us and i guess through self invited can stand if all guests come lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lol you crack me up!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ktbabe530 said:
    This is the kind of stuff I'm worried about!  We are doing our RSVP deadline 8 weeks out so we have time to plan the menu/drinks, etc..  If people show up or change their mind at the last minute it will throw our budget off!  
    Even if you get RSVPs in that early (some people might not know until four weeks out due to work schedules and such), always give yourself a buffer. If they truly don't show up that night, then you can use that extra money for other things.
    I appreciate your feedback and if I was having a wedding in my home town where all of my guests lived, I might be inclined to agree with you.  However, all of our guests are traveling and about 90% will have to fly in, I'm confident that 8 weeks out they will know if they are coming or not.  If some drag into 7 or even 6 weeks out, I'm okay with that, but I'm cutting it off at 6.  If they can't confirm by then they will be a no, that's where I'm drying my line.  I'm very type A and an accounting manager by day, so I am going to be sure we spend our budget in the best way possible with the number of guests that have kindly responded as we have requested.  

Also, what venue are you using where they would allow you to change up the food/bar/extras the night of the event?
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • The worst part was that I didn't even know who they were and my husband hadn't seen them in ten years, one of those the parents had us invite out of curtesy. Luckily my parents had it all figured out when we got to dinner and the waiters had a drink waiting for me!
  • I just found out from Maggianos that there is another wedding reception on the same night as ours so we may end up with some lost/unexpected guests. I hope the guys next door like to party cos our reception is going to be wild!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• missmo14 said:
    If you dont do this ALL your guests will judge and side eye your rudeness and the only thing they will remember about your (freaking AWESOME) Vegas wedding is that you failed to host them properly cos they had to stand for your whole 10 minute ceremony! You may as well have a cash bar now... YOUR WEDDING IS RUINED!
    I just cackled like a freaking hyena and FI is looking at me like I've finally cracked.... (Maybe I have)
  • omg if people come and not invited I hope they ready to give me a freaking awesome gift and pay for their food lol oooo wait im not getting married just supporting all the ladies :) but seriously Id be pissed and it wouldn't be pretty,
  • We had two guests that at first said no and then a week before booked their flights.  Luckily our venue had a policy to let you change numbers up to three days prior to our wedding.
    Same here.  I have util 3 days before so I figure whomever is in Vegas at that time with me is def coming!
  • Caterers always make a little extra, generally 10%, because ... 2) sometimes food gets dropped
    and hopefully not ending up on your plate :-)

Married in Vegas - June 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards