Catholic Weddings
Options

Ceremony vs. Mass

I'm new to the whole discussion board thing and have been trying to do research on my own to answer mine and FI's questions that seem very complex, at least to us. However, I am failing miserably! Any insight or clarifications would be greatly appreciated!

I understand that a Catholic ceremony differs from the mass in that the Eucharist is not included. Is the ceremony still a valid marriage recognized by the RCC? Also, I have been told that Catholic weddings cannot take place outdoors due to the inability to remove the Eucharist from it's sacred place. If a Catholic ceremony does not have the Eucharist involved in it can it be outside and still considered a valid Catholic marriage?

I'm sorry this may be a redundant question but appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance ladies!! 

Re: Ceremony vs. Mass

• Options
    You can't be validly married outside the walls of the church without a dispensation (and those are only given in very rare circumstances), so even if you did a ceremony without mass, you would have to do it in a church.  A ceremony without mass is still valid as long as you follow proper form.

Please stick around and ask questions!  And congratulations!

Also, check out catholicweddinghelp.com for more help.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I understand that a Catholic ceremony differs from the mass in that the Eucharist is not included.
    They are both "Catholic ceremonies," think of it rather as: the Mass has the Eucharist *included.* I think the technical phrase for what you are referring to would be something like, "a Catholic wedding ceremony outside of Mass."

Is the ceremony still a valid marriage recognized by the RCC?
    Yes, if it's done by a Roman Catholic priest in a Roman Catholic church with all the necessary preparation/documents, (which you really dont need to worry about unless you actually go out of your way looking for a schismatic church or "ex-priest" or something.)

I have been told that Catholic weddings cannot take place outdoors due to the inability to remove the Eucharist from it's sacred place.
    True but not really for that reason. Catholic weddings cannot take place outside (without an extremely difficult-to-get dispensation - I'm not even sure you could get it to have it outside, most likely it would be like if your dad was a Protestant pastor and you wanted to get married in his church or something like that  -very rare.) The real reason has to do more with b/c it is a solemn, sacred, sacramental event, it is most appropriate for it to be in a church building. Also, a church isn't just a "pretty backdrop" for the wedding (like the outdoors would be,) it is hopefully where the bride and groom will worship, and is an expression of their faith.

If a Catholic ceremony does not have the Eucharist involved in it can it be outside and still considered a valid Catholic marriage?
    No. See above.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    in order for your marriage to be recognized by the Church, you must have either a catholic ceremony outside of Mass (in a church) or a catholic ceremony with the Nuptial Mass.  you can try to get a dispensation to have the ceremony performed in another church, but it is usually not granted for an outdoor wedding.  and even if you get the dispensation, you still have to go through teh usual pre-cana requirements, and agree to have yoru children raised in the catholic faith, etc.
  • Options

I am just having the ceremony but at the church. It still "counts" I guess you could say. :)

Your best bet would be to ask your priest you plan to be wed at or call around. I know some priests wont even allow a wedding without it being a full mass. Call around and ask. Don't forget to ask how much it is to be a member and a non member!

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards