Chit Chat

FI's grandma is funny

My FI's grandma is a super sweet 89-year old lady who forgets things often. Last week, she said to FI's mom, "Are things serious with FI and his girlfriend?" She apparently asked FI's mom the same question again this week! Did I mention we're getting married next weekend? ;-)

She has met me numerous times, so all any of us can do is laugh and chalk it up to her being 89!

Had to share. Happy Friday!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: FI's grandma is funny

• DH doesn't have any grand parents left, but my Granny (93) is always telling me what a good catch he is, and how I better be nice to him so he doesn't get fed up and leave me.  :)  She's hilarious.  Your FI's Grandma sounds sweet

• As someone whose DH's grandmother is a bat-shit crazy old battleaxe, I am jealous! That story is awesome, thanks for sharing! :)
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • That is too funny! My Grandma is 91. When I called to tell her I was engaged, she cried and said, "It took you a REALLY long time, but you finally found a keeper!" 
  • I seriously LOVE old people.  My Pop-Pop will be 90 in January.  The things that come out of his mouth at any given time are hilarious.  I look forward to living that long and being just as crazy lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • How sweet! Before we were engaged, FIs grandmother used to refer to me as his "friend." I don't know if she has referred to me as his FI, but we were just joking about what's she's going to say when she goes to show off our wedding photos: "this is my handsome grandson SilverGuy when her married his 'friend' Silver".
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My Husband's step grandma took me aside the first time I met her and told me it was my solemn duty to lead H to Jesus. He's Pagan. We had a good laugh about that when I told him. She meant well.
  • My fiance's grandfather is 88. He repeats himself a lot, and can barely remember anything short term. He does, however, tell whoever will listen at least once a day that he is going to be at our wedding in America, and he remembers the date every time. :) So sweet.

On the other hand... My fiance's other grandfather used to be very confused about whether I was Indian or not (I'm not, my fiance is). Once all of the aunties convinced me to ask him, in his native language, whether he would like some water. This man is terribly hard of hearing, but he heard that. He proceeded to announce that none of the children know their roots or respect their heritage these days. Oops. 

Before she passed away, my great-aunt once said of my fiance and I, "you couldn't do that in my day," referring to our interracial relationship. I don't THINK she meant it as an insult, but who knows?

• How sweet! Before we were engaged, FIs grandmother used to refer to me as his "friend." I don't know if she has referred to me as his FI, but we were just joking about what's she's going to say when she goes to show off our wedding photos: "this is my handsome grandson SilverGuy when her married his 'friend' Silver".
    This reminded me.  My little cousin, who is four, always refers to SOs, married, dating, whatever, as "friend."  As in, "Oh look, Aunt Jane, here comes your friend." His parents are trying to teach him the concept of a "special friend."
  • Haha, these stories are great! Thanks, everyone, for sharing! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Heh, DH's Nanny is such a corker!

A few months ago, when we went to visit her, she took the time to tell me how beautiful his wedding to his ex-wife was.  Awkward!  And, when then-FI tried to tell her to stop, she said "Oh, she doesn't mind, do you?" 

There's her rantings and ravings about her political views; always good for a laugh.

And, when she forgot her dress for our wedding, I had to quickly help her find something to wear.

Well, first, there's nothing like helping her half-naked self getting dressed.  *wince*  Not something I EVER thought I'd be doing.

BUT, the capper was, the shirt we'd picked out wouldn't fit, and she turns to me, grabs my arm to steady herself and says (in her thick Southern/Texas accent) "GIRL!  This shirt just ain't gonna fit!  I've got TITTAYS!!" ("titties" said as she slaps her boobs).

I almost fell out laughing! 

So, as we leave the dressing room so I can try to find her something else, in her loud voice, she tells DH "Well that didn't work because of my TITTAYS!"

I cannot WAIT until I get to be in the Red Hat society and just say whatever the hell comes to mind and no one can say anything to me about it because I'm old.  And crazy.
  • @shaylagirl, that's hilarious!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love it!

This one isn't from my grandma, but did happen to a friend of hers. He and his wife (both have since passed) lived at the same independent senior complex as my grandma. The wife eventually had to go to the skilled care facility nearby as he couldn't take care of her anymore (they were both 95). He had one of those medical alert necklaces, and forgot to take it off before going to bed one night. Of course, he rolled over on it in his sleep, setting it off. Two of the younger, pretty nurses on evening shift at the complex and the night receptionist came in with the emergency key. They finally woke him up shouting his name. When he saw three younger women standing at the foot of his bed, he said "Thank goodness my wife isn't here, cause she'll kill me for this."

Gosh, only the very young and the old can get away with saying anything they feel like!

• Love it!

This one isn't from my grandma, but did happen to a friend of hers. He and his wife (both have since passed) lived at the same independent senior complex as my grandma. The wife eventually had to go to the skilled care facility nearby as he couldn't take care of her anymore (they were both 95). He had one of those medical alert necklaces, and forgot to take it off before going to bed one night. Of course, he rolled over on it in his sleep, setting it off. Two of the younger, pretty nurses on evening shift at the complex and the night receptionist came in with the emergency key. They finally woke him up shouting his name. When he saw three younger women standing at the foot of his bed, he said "Thank goodness my wife isn't here, cause she'll kill me for this."

Gosh, only the very young and the old can get away with saying anything they feel like!

So very true!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards