Outdoor Weddings

Chairs vs. Blankets...Help?

We are having an outdoor wedding at the end of next June. The park rules won't let us put up any sort of tent or canopy and they do not provide you with chairs. It's going to be hot, and I don't want our guests to be standing for the entire ceremony with no sun cover--some of them are elderly, and it's rude even to the ones who aren't.
This is the park we're getting married in:
This is a closeup of the balcony where we will be standing during the ceremony:
And this is the view from the balcony of where the guests will be seated (in front of the first pond and on either side of it):
We have found two quotes from two chair rental places (Bob Mutton Party Rental and A Party Apart) for 100 chairs that are both within $4 of each other...the more expensive of the two being $382 (which includes an insurance on the chairs being broken, where as the other quote does not.) I think that this is affordable/budgetable (is that a word even?) and it seems like an okay price to me; it's the total fee for the chairs, set-up/tear-down and insurance on them.

However, my mother thinks that this is too much to pay and that having chairs is an unnecessary cost and that I should tell people to bring blankets and have them sit on the ground. At first I flat out refused (she has brought this up a few times), but now I'm starting to second guess myself...is $382 too much to pay for chairs? Is there any tactful way to even suggest that? I just don't even know anymore. What does everyone here think?

Also, please no bashing on my mom--she was raised to be a steadfast penny pincher and her own reception was in the backyard of my Grams's house with about 20 people present; she doesn't quite understand the change in times...

Re: Chairs vs. Blankets...Help?

• how are guests who have issues getting up and down suppose to sit on blanket?  what about the elderly?  That being said I wouldn't want to get dressed up then plop down on a blanket  on the ground. 
  • maryemoo said:

We are having an outdoor wedding at the end of next June. The park rules won't let us put up any sort of tent or canopy and they do not provide you with chairs. It's going to be hot, and I don't want our guests to be standing for the entire ceremony with no sun cover--some of them are elderly, and it's rude even to the ones who aren't.
    This is the park we're getting married in:
    This is a closeup of the balcony where we will be standing during the ceremony:
    And this is the view from the balcony of where the guests will be seated (in front of the first pond and on either side of it):
    We have found two quotes from two chair rental places (Bob Mutton Party Rental and A Party Apart) for 100 chairs that are both within $4 of each other...the more expensive of the two being $382 (which includes an insurance on the chairs being broken, where as the other quote does not.) I think that this is affordable/budgetable (is that a word even?) and it seems like an okay price to me; it's the total fee for the chairs, set-up/tear-down and insurance on them.

However, my mother thinks that this is too much to pay and that having chairs is an unnecessary cost and that I should tell people to bring blankets and have them sit on the ground. At first I flat out refused (she has brought this up a few times), but now I'm starting to second guess myself...is $382 too much to pay for chairs? Is there any tactful way to even suggest that? I just don't even know anymore. What does everyone here think?

Also, please no bashing on my mom--she was raised to be a steadfast penny pincher and her
    own reception was in the backyard of my Grams's house with about 20 people present; she
    doesn't quite understand the change in times...

Well, honestly I really don't see any "ground" to sit on. Just lots of tile? Concrete? Something hard. It would be very uncomfortable, and possibly even dangerous for older guests who are trying to get up or down. The chair prices sound pretty reasonable to me! If your mom thinks about how much it would cost to buy all those chairs and how useful they are, maybe she'd realize how good a deal the rental fee really is.
  • Those chairs are a bargain, in terms of goodwill. If I came and you had no chairs, I'd go sit in my car until it was time to drink. A pretty venue isn't worth alienating your dearest. Go with your gut.
  • Pay the price for renting the chairs.  I would never ask my guests to sit on the ground (which some people might not even be able to do or just struggle getting back up) or to bring their own blankets.  
  • Get the chairs.  I would hate to be expected to sit on the ground when I was dressed up for your wedding. It also does not fit your venue at all.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Chairs, ftw.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Chairs. On what planet is a blanket acceptable in a formal garden setting for a somewhat formal wedding?  My husband had a horrible back.  That is an understatement and he is only 56.  It would cause him a lot of pain to just stand for a wedding, but I would be taking him home and skipping the reception if he had to sit on a blanket on the ground.
  • CHAIRS!!!!!  This shouldn't even be a question up for debate.

• Definitely get the chairs.

Even if one was going to have their guests sit on blankets on the ground, the hosts should at least provide the blankets! (not at all an endorsement of this, btw)

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Please get the chairs!! I went to a celebration with a BYOBlanket and it was so rude and awkward

• Do the chairs. Blankets are just.... No. Chairs are so worth it. Not only is it terrible not to have anywhere but the ground where people can sit, but the whole venue will look a lot more elegant. Blankets is going to make it look like people are there to watch the fireworks or something...

I would ask the companies about set up/tear down ffees if they weren't included in that quote. That might help make your decision.
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks ladies! I just wasn't sure, I always second guess myself with everything...

southernbelle0915 those quotes included rental of the chairs, set up, and tear down. One was $378, and the other company's was $382, which also included insurance on the chairs in case they break.

scribe95 Having been to a wedding there, do you have any tips you can share? I've asked a few people on here who have attended/hosted a wedding their, but no one has replied yet.

• When you decide to have your ceremony in that park, you need to consider the cost of chair rental as a required cost in getting married there.  If I came to your wedding in a cocktail dress and had to sit on the ground, I'd have to be kneeling on that concrete so as not to expose my crotch in my dress!  It's not like you can just plop down indian style.  And guys in their suits should be sitting on the ground?  I'd paint this picture for your mom so she understands what she is actually suggesting.
  • Chairs! I can't imagine asking my friends and family to sit on the ground. And as a guest, I'd be pretty irritated. Under $400 is cheap for your guests' comfort. 
  • Ditto PPs and their reasons. You need chairs. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I definitely agree with everyone. I would be upset if I were asked to sit in a nice dress and my grandparents would die trying to get up and down. I looked into renting chairs for a friend's lawn and they were all $4 a chair for fancy chairs and $1.15 per chair for just plain plasic white ones...so maybe ask around if any company has those plain $1 white ones!! But all in all under $400 for the ceremony is still a great deal.

You mention not being allowed to put up canopy or tent...the place is GORGEOUS but this is very concerning to me. Do you have a backup for rain? Not to be negative nancy but I would never risk the weather and not have a backup. Even buying huge umbrellas for everyone if you can't possibly move it inside...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards