Canada

Something Old, Something New

I'm wondering if anybody is planning on following the tradition of something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue. If you are, what are you using?

I have blue in my shoes. My mom's best friend gave me a lovely little hanky that will likely be my something new. My mom has held on to the clutch she used for her wedding for nearly 40 years, but now we can't find it, so I may have to come up with an alternative for something old. We're not even sure it would work anyway since it was white, and my dress is ivory.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Something Old, Something New

• edited December 2011
    I wasn't planning on doing this, but I was talking to one of my BMs yesterday who is a lot more enthusiastic about weddings in general than I am, and she *insisted* that I follow this tradition, and that she'll get me whatever I'm missing. :) I have three of the four, and this is what I have so far:

Something old: my wedding gown, as I got it from the Bride's Project (http://www.thebridesproject.com/)
    Something new: my fabulous red shoes
    Something borrowed: a friend at work lent me the earrings she wore for her wedding

So now I need something blue... any ideas? It has to be something pretty discreet since I'm wearing red elsewhere (in earrings as well as shoes), and don't want to go too nuts with the "non-traditional" colours.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress and jewellery were new, my veil was borrowed from MOH, and my undies were blue. But I didn't have something old. Whoops.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to suggest blue undies for dougie80. That's about as discreet as it gets.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did!
    Old: my grandmothers bracelets
    New: dress and jewellery
    Borrowed: was going to be my stylists garter, but that fell through, I think I decided my grandma's bracelet's counted, except that she left them to me, so I dunno
    Blue: undies (bright blue Hanky Panky ones too.  Loved them)
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hahaha, it seems like every bride had blue undies! Unfortunately that probably won't work for me, unless I change them later, because you might be able to see them through my white "evening gown" (which MIL insisted I had to get).

Maybe I'll try to find a belly button ring with a blue jewel? I haven't bothered to change mine in years, since at 30 I don't really show my belly button all the often (but I won't remove it because I don't want to have gone through that pain for nothing!). But that's really the only thing I can think of where I can wear something blue discreetly.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • nfp147nfp147 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Something old/borrowed: My sister has few items from our deceased grandparents that she used for her wedding (a fish hook, knitting needle).  I borrowed those from her. And I have my other grandfather's dog tags

Something new: my dress

Something blue:My FMIL's friend made my veil so I had her sew in a couple of light blue crystals in the back.
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

TTC Since January 2011 - We have bad sperm IUI #1 (February 2013) = BFN Nestie Besties with Xan921
  • edited December 2011
    What about a blue garter?

I have blue shoes, and blue rhinesones on my fascinator for my veil, and an opal necklace
    The old is the facinator for the veil as it is an antique brooch.
    New is I guess my dress.
    I just need something borrowed. 
    I even am getting a sixpence for my shoe (which is the last part of the rhyme).

- Crystallee What we choose changes us. Who we love transforms us, how we create reshapes is, what we do remakes us. - Dr. Eugene Callender
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shoes and purse where my something blue, my dress was new, my something borrowed was a black and white pearl bracelet, and I wasn't really wearing a "something old", but my mom had some cute monogrammed napkins from her own wedding that I put out with their wedding picture and kept one in my purse as my something old.  I didn't do the shoe part, but I had a penny in my purse!
  • APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_something-old-something-new?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:46Discussion:69c870a6-fc91-450d-b790-8822da35bd18Post:9ff7400f-b9ed-40b8-9bad-5e2690154203">Re: Something Old, Something New</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hahaha, it seems like every bride had blue undies! Unfortunately that probably won't work for me, unless I change them later, because you might be able to see them through my white "evening gown" (which MIL insisted I had to get). Maybe I'll try to find a belly button ring with a blue jewel? I haven't bothered to change mine in years, since at 30 I don't really show my belly button all the often (but I won't remove it because I don't want to have gone through that pain for nothing!). But that's really the only thing I can think of where I can wear something blue discreetly.
    Posted by dougie80[/QUOTE]

That's funny, I found blue undies, but my belly button ring already has a blue jewel - I didn't even think of that!!
    I don't have anything borrowed or old though, so I'm not sure I'll be doing it.
  • suzie173suzie173 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are your shoes open toe? My blue was blue toenail polish, which I think looked pretty sharp in my glitzy silver sandals :)
    Suzie and Tom: Livin' the Dream!
  • edited December 2011
    I have my sister's garter that my fiance caught whenever she got married that I plan to use as the throwing garter, but I don't know if that counts as borrowed.
    If not, then I'm stuck on my something old and something borrowed.

Something new: my dress, jewelry, and Penguins garter
    Something blue: I plan on painting my toenails a really pretty light blue; if it is light and pretty enough, I might even French tip my fingernails with it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards