Chit Chat
Options

Surprise Gift Card Shower

Last week, I was in LA visiting family and friends. My mom's friend threw me a surprise gift card wedding shower (because I live in Boston and she didn't want me to lug gifts back). Now, had I known about this, I would have put a stop to it, but it was a total surprise from the moment I walked into her house. It was a little awkward just opening cards and just showing the gift card. It was hard to hide the amount, so everyone knew that my Aunt Trudy gave me $15 to Macy's and my other Aunt Gladys gave me $50.

While it was very nice of them to plan this and I didn't let on how awkward I felt, I would tell people not to do this. At least the alcohol and food were flowing.

Re: Surprise Gift Card Shower

• Options

Last week, I was in LA visiting family and friends. My mom's friend threw me a surprise gift card wedding shower (because I live in Boston and she didn't want me to lug gifts back). Now, had I known about this, I would have put a stop to it, but it was a total surprise from the moment I walked into her house. It was a little awkward just opening cards and just showing the gift card. It was hard to hide the amount, so everyone knew that my Aunt Trudy gave me $15 to Macy's and my other Aunt Gladys gave me $50.

While it was very nice of them to plan this and I didn't let on how awkward I felt, I would tell people not to do this. At least the alcohol and food were flowing.

Awful :-(

In retrospect, it would have probably best to not "show" the giftcard...but oh well.

• Options

Not only did they insist on me opening each card, but they wanted me to hold up each giftcard. How many different Macy's or Target giftcards can there be? Oh well, I appreciate the thought.

• Options
    Nothing you can do int he situation but be gracious and do as they ask. I would have felt awkward holding them up too, but you gotta do what you gotta do -  and in this case, what the givers request.

That was very sweet of them to shower you with love and GC, even if it was gauche :-)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Nothing you can do int he situation but be gracious and do as they ask. I would have felt awkward holding them up too, but you gotta do what you gotta do -  and in this case, what the givers request.

That was very sweet of them to shower you with love and GC, even if it was gauche :-)
    I agree even thought we side-eye it I think it was meant with the best intentions.  

• Options
    I just hope, and it sounds like, the guests knew it was a surprise to you, right? That way you're personally not the one getting the side eye.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards