Luxury Weddings

losing weight for wedding- what to do about the dress?

I've been working really hard over the past few months and am losing 1-2 pounds per week (yey).  I'm getting a little freaked out about what to do about my dress.  

My wedding is in September 2014.  I'm a jean size 16 now, but expect to be a little smaller, maybe a 12, when I go to look at dresses in January.  What happens if I lose another 30-40 pounds in between when I buy the dress and my wedding day?  I know they can take it in about 2 sizes, but after that do you just buy another dress?  

Do I buy a dress in January and hope that it can be adjusted in August?  Or do I wait until the last possible minute to order, maybe April?  Or do I just wait until the very last minute and try to get a used or off the rack dress that I know will fit?  

I wanted to have a fancy dress for the ceremony/dinner and then change into something less cumbersome for the reception.  The cost isn't a huge issue for me, but I hate the idea of having to buy a second dress right before my wedding because the one I chose no longer fits or flatters.  Has anyone else gone through a similar situation?  
photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg

Re: losing weight for wedding- what to do about the dress?

• Congratulations on losing weight!

They should be able to take it in. I was a bridesmaid in a wedding last year and the dress I wanted (we got to pick our dresses in a certain color) was five sizes to big. I took it to get altered and she did a great job.

• I don't have much to contribute, other than to say I've always wondered about this as well.  I suppose you could order a smaller size than what you actually are come January, knowing that you'll continue to lose weight.  I would see what they recommend at the bridal salon-- I'm sure this is something that comes up pretty frequently. 
  • KatWAG said:
    lschwar2 said:
    I don't have much to contribute, other than to say I've always wondered about this as well.  I suppose you could order a smaller size than what you actually are come January, knowing that you'll continue to lose weight.  I would see what they recommend at the bridal salon-- I'm sure this is something that comes up pretty frequently. 

NO.

It is super risky to order a dress a size smaller. It is much easier to take away fabric than it is to add it. To me, its not worth the risk.

OP, when you go look for dresses, talk to your sales person. Tell them your concerns. They will be able to steer you in the right direction. And while loosing 1-2 pounds a weeks is amazing! It will be near impossible to sustain for over a year. At some point your body will platuea and you will begin to loose weight slower.

Also, depending on where you are looking for dresses, ordering in Jan might be a little late. Some designer dresses can take up to 9 months to be made. And you need to allow time for alterations.

All of this = fabulous advice.

I just want to further hit the point home that buying a dress smaller then what is recommended by your sales consultant is a horrible, horrible idea.

• Maggie0829 said:
    KatWAG said:
    lschwar2 said:
    I don't have much to contribute, other than to say I've always wondered about this as well.  I suppose you could order a smaller size than what you actually are come January, knowing that you'll continue to lose weight.  I would see what they recommend at the bridal salon-- I'm sure this is something that comes up pretty frequently. 

NO.

It is super risky to order a dress a size smaller. It is much easier to take away fabric than it is to add it. To me, its not worth the risk.

OP, when you go look for dresses, talk to your sales person. Tell them your concerns. They will be able to steer you in the right direction. And while loosing 1-2 pounds a weeks is amazing! It will be near impossible to sustain for over a year. At some point your body will platuea and you will begin to loose weight slower.

Also, depending on where you are looking for dresses, ordering in Jan might be a little late. Some designer dresses can take up to 9 months to be made. And you need to allow time for alterations.

All of this = fabulous advice.

I just want to further hit the point home that buying a dress smaller then what is recommended by your sales consultant is a horrible, horrible idea.
    I was just displaying my confidence in OP's ability to lose weight.  I'm sure she is able to realistically estimate her expected weight loss without being warned that she's engaging in "risky" behavior.
  • I actually just discussed this with my bridal shop. I'm in the same weight loss boat but my dress is being ordered in a few weeks. The shop is having a Lazaro trunk show so Im able to get my gown brought in again (free of charge this time!) and order it on a small sale.

My consultant recommended not waiting to order...due to the sale and the length of manufacturing on Lazaro's. It's just too risky with a lot of the designer gowns to wait. 

We are going to order my gown in the size I am on the 14th, She said a good seamstress can actually take the dress in 3-4 sizes, without changing the shape of the dress. 2 is industry standard because a lot of shops don't have the ability to promise more. 

I'm already hitting the plateau and so I kind of expect to only lose 2-3 more sizes and not going to stress about it too much. 

I hope that helps a little!
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    KatWAG said:

lschwar2 said:

NO.

^I admit to fears about this too, especially since we started looking at strapless options, but for alterations purposes, better too large than too small. Weight loss works differently for everyone. There is no guarantee that you'll drop multiple complete dress sizes--depending on your body type and program, you could lose a jeans size or two without losing a dress size. You can also lose inches and fat without really changing sizes at all--I can lose about 20 pounds and still wear the same pants because the next size down is still snug.
  • alm&mdm said:
    I actually just discussed this with my bridal shop. I'm in the same weight loss boat but my dress is being ordered in a few weeks. The shop is having a Lazaro trunk show so Im able to get my gown brought in again (free of charge this time!) and order it on a small sale.

My consultant recommended not waiting to order...due to the sale and the length of manufacturing on Lazaro's. It's just too risky with a lot of the designer gowns to wait. 

We are going to order my gown in the size I am on the 14th, She said a good seamstress can actually take the dress in 3-4 sizes, without changing the shape of the dress. 2 is industry standard because a lot of shops don't have the ability to promise more. 

I'm already hitting the plateau and so I kind of expect to only lose 2-3 more sizes and not going to stress about it too much. 

I wore Lazaro also! Love the dresses. They are so fun.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    alm&mdm said:
    I actually just discussed this with my bridal shop. I'm in the same weight loss boat but my dress is being ordered in a few weeks. The shop is having a Lazaro trunk show so Im able to get my gown brought in again (free of charge this time!) and order it on a small sale.

I wore Lazaro also! Love the dresses. They are so fun.
    Ladies please post pics of your Lazaros!  He was one of my fav designers to look at.  
  • That's awesome that you're losing weight. Congratulations!! Keep up the good (and tough) work!! :)

Don't order your dress in a smaller size. I did this - I actually ordered upwards of 2 sizes smaller. My bridal consultant and everyone was telling me what a horrible idea it was and instead of being like, "you're right, that's stupid...." I was like "I accept your challenge and raise you one size smaller." It ended up working out and my dress fit but in the weeks leading up to the wedding it was a nail-biter. I consumed water and lettuce (exaggeration) and was a total bitch (mostly an exaggeration). I do not recommend it.

Anyway, the way that I'd go about this is to continue to track your progress and weight loss through January. They'll measure you at the appointment. Keep in mind that for many designers, "bridal" sizes are bigger (e.g. if your jeans size is a 16, your bridal size might be an 18 depending on the designer/other measurements). Don't let that get you down and don't order a certain size just because you want that number - what you REALLY want is for the dress to look good. When you find "the dress" ask how far in advance it needs to be ordered. The bridal shop can call the designer and give you a good estimate. Based on what they say, you may be able to tell them you want to wait to order it until March (for example) and get sized at that time.

Order the size you are at that time. Your seamstress should be able to take it in for you if needed. What they often CAN'T do is take it out without adding something extra like a corset and/or panels. Nobody wants panels.
    *********************************************************************************

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013

@crazycatlady3 here is my dress. It was the biggest ballgown I could find.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

@crazycatlady3 here is my dress. It was the biggest ballgown I could find.

So classically pretty and bridal!!
  • alm&mdmalm&mdm member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    Gorgeous KatWag! Was the bodice comfortable the whole night? it looks very similar to the dress Im looking at and that's my only concern. 

I'lll share some pictures after the 14th but Im almost certain  Im going to buy this beauty in sherbet and gold as shown http://www.jlmcouture.com/Lazaro/Bridal/Spring/2013/Style-3315

• The day i ordered my dress, i measured a size 6.  Then a week later the shop called to tell me that the dress had been discontinued and they couldn't order me my 6, but i could have their sample (a 12) for a very large discount.  I met with the seamstress (whose previous position was with Vera Wang Couture) and she said it would be no problem whatsoever to resize the dress.  IN HALF.  She pinned it up and it looked great - at that point they basically take the whole thing apart at the seams and rebuild it.  Because of the shop's error with my original order, they are doing ALL of my alterations free of charge. 

My point is, there is absolutely no issue with ordering a dress several sizes too large - a good seamstress can make it fit you like a glove.  But NEVER buy a dress that is too small.  It will make you miserable if you can't fit into it.  I'm not trying to lose weight for the wedding, but when I get stressed I sometimes forget to eat...so I am putting off my final fitting until 2 weeks out just in case it needs to be taken in a little extra.  but i doubt it will...i've been exactly the same weight for over 4 years at this point so something ridiculous would have to happen to change that.

Also, i'd keep your gown on for the recption...i mean when else will it EVER be socially acceptable for you to hang out all night in a big poofy gown that has been tailored to fit you exactly perfectly?  NEVER.  Live it up while you can! 

• Gorgeous KatWag! Was the bodice comfortable the whole night? it looks very similar to the dress Im looking at and that's my only concern. 

I'lll share some pictures after the 14th but Im almost certain  Im going to buy this beauty in sherbet and gold as shown http://www.jlmcouture.com/Lazaro/Bridal/Spring/2013/Style-3315

(Stuck in box)  That's a beautiful ballgown too!
  • Oh that's so pretty
  • When you look at dresses, and I think January is a good time line or even earlier, order the size you are at that time because you can take in but you can't take very much. You don't want to place the stress on your self if you don't lose enough weight. I took that advice, lost almost 35lbs and don't regret it.

When I ordered my dress in February I was a street size 8, almost 10 and ordered a Martina Liana in a bridal size 12 since my bust measured a larger size than my hips and waist. My wedding is next weekend and my dress was taken down to a street size 4, almost a 2 and looks great!

My dress took 7 months to arrive but some styles they quoted 9 to 12 months.

Talk to your consultant when you look if you are concerned. The seamstress told me 3-4 sizes is very doable. I will warn you that the alterations can get pricey at that point.

Good luck and GREAT job on the weight loss!
  • @alm&mdm the bodice really didn't bother my arms. I noticed it at my fittings but not at the wedding. I also had it altered so that I didnt have to wear a bra. And it stayed up perfectly all night.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you ladies- this is all very good advice!  I feel like I can relax a little bit about this, knowing that they can probably take the dress in more than 2 sizes.   
  • kmdassow said:
    Thank you ladies- this is all very good advice!  I feel like I can relax a little bit about this, knowing that they can probably take the dress in more than 2 sizes.   

Totally.  I asked my seamstress if it was easy to make a 12 into a 6 and she said "I've made a 12 into a 2 before."  Don't worry too much about it!
  • Do not buy a dress that's a smaller size. I wanted to do this but my consultant advised me against it. Instead I ordered the dress whatever size I was when I got measured and the consultant told me it can be taken in 3-4 sizes. Now I'm just focused on losing weight hoping that I achieve my goals by my fitting day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to echo everyone else.

My body proportions are quite odd... I measured as a size 2 or 4 in the bust and waist... a 10 in the hips.  My dress is fitted through the hips... so we needed to order a 10 and we'll take in the waist & up considerably.  It was tough when trying on dresses (I am planning on losing some weight as well, and was really tempted to order a size smaller...)

I think that getting the dress taken in all over would (will!) be a nice accomplishment when it comes in.  Worst case scenario... it fits.  It's hard to predict where weight/inches will come off of, and it's always best to play it safe.
  • @vt&dt

I'm totally like you. I'm about a 4/6 in the waist/chest and an 8/10 in the butt. I found a place that did custom ordering to avoid having to take it in too much. It came in a few weeks ago, and the bust is still a little too big (at least the sweetheart makes me seem to have some boobs), and it was pleasantly a little loose across my lower belly, and I may even want it a little tighter on my booty.

The salon said they will take it in up to two size for free with what I paid for the custom measurement and ordering. They can take it in even more for added cost. Anywhere can take it in enough for added cost, which is way cheaper than having to order a new dress. Wait as long as you can to order if you are worried about losing too much weight, but don't order undersized.

• I found the solution.  Picked a dress in my current size, consultant said to go ahead and order it that way and they can take it down 2-4 sizes in a few months.  She steered me away from a dress with lots of boning because the alterations can get pretty expensive if they have to remove a lot of that stuff.  

Best part is that the dress I bought laces up the back, and the sales staff told me it can give several inches. Even if I lose after alterations fit will be perfect.  
  • You all have excellent advice on this and if this is not ok or thread hijacking I appologize but since you all are so knowlegable about sizing issues maybe you could help. I was really really sick for years until this past January. I had lost 30-31% of my body weight in 2.5 years because of celiac disease and looked skeletal it was not a good weight loss. Now I'm on the gluten free diet and in the first week I quickly lost another 7lbs and the last two weeks put on 3-4lbs of the lost weight but have been told I will probably gain weight because I had gotten so sickly. I am getting married in one year and will probably be purchasing a dress in June what should I do here? I have no idea how much weight I will gain or if I will gain at all I know some people in my position never gain and some gain 20lbs in a month so I'm nervous. I'm trying to start an exercise program to tone/reestablish muscle but not for weight loss I cannot lose anymore weight and even maintaining this weight, if it's even possible, is not really ok since I don't look too healthy. Before I got sick and before I had kids I was usually about 10-20lbs heavier than I am now so that may be my natural weight but it's been 5 years since I was there. Any advice is much appreciated.
  • @buckeyeinchicago when you go dress shopping talk to your consultant. Explain the situation and ask her to show you dresses that can easily be altered. Also ask what size they suggest you order. They should be the experts on the dress. Adn make sure to carefully read your contract about what happens if the dress doesnt fir when it arrives.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @katWAG thank you! I didn't know there was a contract but duh that makes sense everything else for the wedding has one.
  • I agree with @KatWAG Talk to the consultants about easily altered dresses. There are styles and cuts which are much easy to manilpulate vs others. Depending on the shop and what time you shop, you may even be able to chat with their alterations department.

I selected a dress that will be difficult to alter but not impossible. But the seamstress explained to me that to make the dress smaller, she'll have to cut the seams open, cut the dress down and reseam it. I have a pretty detailed beaded overlay on my dress so she was really upfront that we needed to get it where she could basically take one whole line of the pattern out vs cutting the pattern in halves. 

It was nice to have the perspective on what I was risking to do with that design vs a simpler design or a corseted dress or whatever other style. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards