Wedding Etiquette Forum

distributing invitations

I have a couple of people who I see on a regular bases, but I seem to be missing their addresses all of a sudden :( It would be just as easy for me to hand deliver them an invitation as it would for me to verify their address (which I will do regardless for thank yous and such.) Is it alright to hand deliver a formal invitation? 

Re: distributing invitations

• I would just ask them for their address. You can hand deliver your invitations but there's a higher likelihood that it will get lost or misplaced if you do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • As a guest, I always prefer if my invitation is mailed to my home.
  • I am fine with either delivery method.

I don't think that hand delivering is *wrong* but realize, as said above, you may have guests who have a preference. It is pretty easy to send an e-mail and ask what their mailing address is. 
  • I have absolutely no problem with hand delivered invitations, but the only problem is it seems like other people do from what I've been reading on etiquette boards. *sigh* So you might just want to get the addresses. But I think what I will do is this: If I ask someone for their address so I can mail them their invite and they say "Oh you can just give it to me" I will take them at their word and do just that. But then I am also someone who probably worries about losing stuff in the mail more than I should (I once had some of my mail taken from my box, ripped up, and scattered in the wind. Think it was a kid)
  • I would still get the address from them for future thank you cards, Christmas cards, etc. and probably still mail the invitations because it is more formal that way.
  • I would mail it.

If you hand deliver it, you run the risk of some random person seeing you deliver it and asking "where's mine?"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I definitely read the subject as "disturbing invitations"!
  • I definitely read the subject as "disturbing invitations"!
    So did I!
  • here i am again with the non-ettiquete version of a traditional wedding detail...... :)

we are not doing paper invitations for the majority of our guests. we are using our wedding website for invitation purposes including all wedding related details, and RSVP. only family and bridal party and a few select close friends will receive hand made invitations (which will reference the website also), meant as more of a keepsake for those who i know would love it.

i KNOW this goes right at the top of the list of what not to do, but we decided early on that we would rather spend our money on the venue, free rooms for out of state family, food music and drinks.

i have not seen anyone on here yet with a similar idea and i wonder if anyone has done this but is not willing to admit it! :) 

comments? thanks! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @KRD2014 My very good friend did this. She sent links to her wedding website on Facebook/ email to those of us who were invited. It was very confusing, and I even sent her a text to confirm that the link was my invitation. We didn't have paper versions of anything to bring with us when trying to find the venue.

Another set of friends did a very basic card printed on regular printer paper as invitations. It only cost them about $5 (not including postage) to do all the invites and envelopes. I much preferred that over only having a website to reference.

I'm begging you: send paper invites!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • ^^ hmmm.... i was afraid of that :) i'll look into the simple post card option and start collecting addresses!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • a bonus benefit to collecting addresses for your physical invites, is actually *having* addresses for the folks in your life. Great for holiday greetings, birthdays, "thinking of you"s, or sending notes for big life events (births, deaths, etc.).
  • KRD2014 said:

here i am again with the non-ettiquete version of a traditional wedding detail...... :)

we are not doing paper invitations for the majority of our guests. we are using our wedding website for invitation purposes including all wedding related details, and RSVP. only family and bridal party and a few select close friends will receive hand made invitations (which will reference the website also), meant as more of a keepsake for those who i know would love it.

i KNOW this goes right at the top of the list of what not to do, but we decided early on that we would rather spend our money on the venue, free rooms for out of state family, food music and drinks.

i have not seen anyone on here yet with a similar idea and i wonder if anyone has done this but is not willing to admit it! :) 

comments? thanks! 

At least use Paperless Post or something and send an e-vite to those who are invited. You'll end up with confusion over who is and isn't invited, or if they're allowed a guest, or whose kids are and aren't invited. 

You don't have to mail an invite if you don't want to, but you need something a little more formal than a link to a website.
    Anniversary
  • KRD2014KRD2014 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2013
    ashleyep said:
    KRD2014 said:

here i am again with the non-ettiquete version of a traditional wedding detail...... :)

comments? thanks! 

At least use Paperless Post or something and send an e-vite to those who are invited. You'll end up with confusion over who is and isn't invited, or if they're allowed a guest, or whose kids are and aren't invited. 

You don't have to mail an invite if you don't want to, but you need something a little more formal than a link to a website.
    I guess one detail I left out was, we already have all of our intended guest list on a private facebook group, where we have been in touch regarding Save the Dates, and a few other details. We planned to post the website link there with the announcement that the website is to be considered the invitation. I'm now thinking we'll do this still, in addition to sending out a postcard type of invite. (that is IF my fiance goes for it... after all our website only planning, i'm not sure he's going to love the idea of doing both!) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards