Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Itemized Cake estimate

Long story short, I had a cake consultation/tasting and the bakery gave me a printed-out estimate. I didn't look it over too carefully at first, so I left with it as is.
(no I didn't sign a contract with them). They listed out all of the different choices for the cake (flavors, etc) but with no prices next to them. Only a total on the bottom of the page.

Later on, I looked at the estimate more carefully and I did the math myself according to the serving sizes, travel fees, taxes, etc... My price came out $200 lower than the estimate! I emailed them and asked about it, and if there were any fees that I missed. Basically, could they explain the difference in price and if I could have an itemized estimate.

They said yes there was an error in the price but they did not explain what the error was. It lowered the price but not by much. To my shock, they told me NO they do NOT do itemized estimates! I thought this was weird but maybe it's just an industry standard (since this was my first cake consultation).

Is is normal to get an itemized cake estimate? What was your experience?

(And no I'm not going with this bakery, for many reasons other than the estimate issue)

Re: Itemized Cake estimate

• I did 3 cake tastings and they all gave me itemized price lists. Just curious, if they didn't put prices next to it, how did you come up with your own price?
  • Each baker I met with provided an estimate with a base price (ie 2.50/slice) and then a price per add on ($15 for ribbon detailing, $1/slice for premium filling, etc).

I would not trust a bakery that only gave a final total (unless it was for the most basic cake option) without an explanation for the pricing. 
  • I had a pdf that they sent to me that included flavor pricing per serving. I also asked about additional fees such as delivery. I asked if there were any additional fees that they did not mention and they said no.
  • Oh ok gotcha! That would really irritate me too. The only thing I can say about that is that it seems like they are trying to rip you off. If they aren't, then they should change the way they handle that because that's how it looks.
  • I received an itemized estimate and an itemized total.  This is very weird and annoying. 
  • Thanks knotties- now I know I wasn't overreacting and this is sketchy business. It's a shame they have poor customer service because their cake and fillings were outstanding. Oh well, I'll just keep looking elsewhere...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards