Chit Chat

"Bridal Moment"

I have been dress shopping a couple times and never had that "bridal moment" in any dress.  I ended up purchasing a beautiful dress that I love, but I was disappointed because I didn't have the "this is the one!" feeling.  Did anyone else struggle with this?  My consultant told me that a lot of people don't have that moment when they pick out their dress because there is too much going on, they actually have it at their first fitting.  Was this the case for any of you?  Like I said, I love the dress and it's beautiful so you can't go wrong with it, but i'm not sure if I should have held out for that "moment". 

Re: "Bridal Moment"

• When I was planning my first wedding, I never had the "this is the one!" moment. I tried on a ton of dresses, took pictures and then mulled it over. When I had it narrowed down to two, I went back and tried them on again. I then chose. And I didn't have my "Omg!" moment until my first fitting. 
  • I'm worried I won't have the moment. I've only visited one bridal salon to try on dresses, but I tried on so many and didn't feel special towards any of them. I know I have many more dresses to try on, but I'm such a fate-y person and I always rely on my gut and instinct to steer me in the right direction. Like, when FI & I were looking at houses, I knew as soon as we walked into one that it was IT.
  • I did but I didn't cry.  I just knew it was my dress.  What's funny is the consultant thought I didn't like it when we were in the dressing room and was about to take it off until I said, no!  She opened the curtain and my mom and aunt were wow'd, wanted to see me on the pedestal.  It was a dress I think I knew I wanted but couldn't express my style in words.  I was told that not all brides have those bridal moments so don't worry about it.  They did tell me that you wont want to take the dress off, though.

I thought I'd cry when FI proposed but didn't -- I'm a big sappy mess most of the time.  My photographer told me I'd probably not cry at the alter since I didn't when we got engaged but will have a cry earlier, maybe with my dad.
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    @cokezerofreak I didn't cry when FI proposed either! I am a huge sap as well and everyone asked afterwards if I cried but nope....didn't happen. I am pretty sure it was do to severe shock as it was my birthday and really unexpected.

Bashley20062 and @ElcaB I'll be hoping you have that moment! It may just be getting overwhelmed and depending on it happening? Not too sure but I hope it all goes well!
  • I only tried on 6 dresses. The last one I tried was the one that I bought. I loved it before I had it on. I knew this is the one that I should buy despite the fact that I liked it better on the hanger than I do on me.
    After I ordered it, I thought I made a horrible mistake. I had buyers remorse. Than it came in and I tried it on again and I loved it more than I remembered.
    So yes I had the moment but I didnt cry and it didnt stop me from doubting my choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Thank you all for the support!  It makes me feel a lot more secure in my decision!
  • I also didn't cry when FI proposed!! I think I was also in shock. I did cry when I called my mom though.  
  • Maybe mine was shock, too.  lol  I always cry when I tell my brother news so cried to him on the phone.  Getting teary now just thinking about it, lol.
  • Cried when the proposal happened. Didn't cry when I found the dress. Although my "moment" wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I was waiting for the tears, never happened. instead i got cocky hahaha I thought "Damn! I'm going to be a beautiful bride" hahahaha

(i cry when i am overwhelmed, instead of the O_O silence) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't cry when FI proposed either.  And it was in an airport in front of lots of people.  I barely reacted because we had already decided we were getting married so it was more of a formality.  He's a huge crier though.  So this should be interesting.  

I haven't dressed shopped yet so no advice there.
  • I got misty eyed when he proposed (he cried, it was adorable).  I haven't bought my dress yet, but I am not sure if I will have a moment or not.  
  • Maybe mine was shock, too.  lol  I always cry when I tell my brother news so cried to him on the phone.  Getting teary now just thinking about it, lol.

Haha you sap JK! I cry when I see the video of him proposing to me. Our friend recorded it.
  • I did not cry when my fiance proposed. I got all happy and smiled a bunch. But I rarely cry in front of people. When I found my dress I did not get one of those big "This is the one" moments. It was more like my dress fit my vision the best. I almost cried when my parents offered to pay for it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I never got emotional until my final fitting when I was alone ( no one came with me), my hair was pulled back, veil on, and just had a moment without people critiquing it, talking to me about changes, and everything.  I never cried but just had to take a deep breath and take it all in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 
      Visit The Knot!
  • I cried when FI proposed. So much so that he had to ask me again to say "yes" out loud. All I could do was nod my head.

I did not cry when I found the dress, but it was a bridal moment. It was the first dress I tried on, period. I tried on 13 other dresses that day and compared them all to that one. I felt distinctly like a bride. I am still shopping, just to make sure that I love it, but I can't stop thinking about it. Final decision will be made this week.
  • I had the "I want this one" but definitely didn't cry. My mom and the sales clerk both said that when you know, you just know and I knew I had to have it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Speaking of crying, I heard a song this morning and starting bawling thinking of my FI. I think I found our first dance song! :-P 
  • I was in shock when FI proposed. Then started to tear up about 10 minutes later. Then I just couldn't stop smiling. Everyone at work pretty much figured it out instantly (and I work with almost all guys so I must have been completely obvious for all of them to notice) because he proposed Sunday night and I was still beaming when I walked into work Monday afternoon.

I didn't cry over the dress. It was the first one I tried on at David's and I absolutely loved it, but my mom wasn't in love with it (she fell in love with this gigantic tulle monstrosity that I absolutely hated sigh). I didn't buy anything since FMIL really wanted me to go to the shop FI's aunt works for as a seamstress. The owner treated me like crap and all I did was compare all the dresses to that one from David's. So I went back to David's and tried on several more dresses, saving the one I loved before for last. I continued to compare all the dresses to it and didn't want to take it off, so I picked it. No crying though. I just kept worrying that FI wouldn't like it (we have completely opposite tastes in all things fashion). Luckily FMIL went with us that time and said go with it.

I had buyer's remorse at one point, but then put the dress on again and it went away.

Just because you don't have the "moment", you'll still know it's the right dress.
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Speaking of crying, I heard a song this morning and starting bawling thinking of my FI. I think I found our first dance song! :-P 
    Yay!

I heard a song that gave me the same reaction... played it for FI and he instantly nixed it. He wants nothing to do with a song that makes me cry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't tried on a single dress yet, because I live out in the sticks and there's only one bridal salon near here - it's horrible. I have to try and get an appointment at one of the salons in the city for the end of the month, but seeing as I don't know exactly when we're arriving and when we're leaving that's a bit difficult! lol

I'm not expecting to have the "bridal moment". I didn't cry when FI proposed. I tend to cry more over movies than I do over things in my own life...
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
    I haven't cried yet for songs other than my father/daughter song that my dad picked. Dude, imma be bawling my eyes out during our dance.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I did the ugly cry when FI proposed.  It was so unexpected. (We had obviously talked marriage) We planned to go out for wings.  I had jeans a tshirt and uggs on.  Hair was a curly/wavy mess.  Little did I know it was going to be one of the best nights of my life.

I will admit that I didn't have that "bridal moment" when I ordered by dress.  My mom cried and one of the lights flickered.  (We say that my nana visits via the lights.  At home when ever we talk about her a light flickers)  My dress came in a few weeks ago.  When I went and tried it back on I totally had the moment.  My mom cried even harder than the last time.  My MOH and cousin were tearing up.  I totally felt like a bride and it was all becoming real.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Jonathan Cain's version of the Wedding March makes me a big sloppy sappy mess.  But I love it and that's what I'm walking down the aisle to.  Just played 2 seconds of it and want to cry, lol.
  • I did the ugly cry when FI proposed.  It was so unexpected. (We had obviously talked marriage) We planned to go out for wings.  I had jeans a tshirt and uggs on.  Hair was a curly/wavy mess.  Little did I know it was going to be one of the best nights of my life.

I will admit that I didn't have that "bridal moment" when I ordered by dress.  My mom cried and one of the lights flickered.  (We say that my nana visits via the lights.  At home when ever we talk about her a light flickers)  My dress came in a few weeks ago.  When I went and tried it back on I totally had the moment.  My mom cried even harder than the last time.  My MOH and cousin were tearing up.  I totally felt like a bride and it was all becoming real.
    If it makes you feel better, I was in gym clothes and all sweaty. FI told me we were going for a run on the beach and proposed afterwards. It was sweet though and I definitely didn't see it coming.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

If it makes you feel better, I was in gym clothes and all sweaty. FI told me we were going for a run on the beach and proposed afterwards. It was sweet though and I definitely didn't see it coming.
    I was in yoga pants, a tank top and sneakers. We were in Gibraltar and were doing a tour on the top of the rock. I was sweaty! 
  • @ClimbingBrideNY & @allelsefaild       

Glad I wasn't the only one!  FI wanted to surprise me and he totally did.  If he had said to get dressed up we're going to blah blah blah I would have known something was up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad. (from BBT)

But seriously, I'm not a happy crier at all, so no...I didn't cry when I found my dress.  I loved my dress, like seriously loved everything about it.  But when I bought it, I was all business.

We were going out for wings when H proposed!  Since we were going with friends, I was wearing a jean skirt and a tank top but when I jump hugged him when he pulled out the ring my skirt did ride up a bit.  I know because one of our friends we were going out with had a camera and snapped pictures.  Then a song came on in the stadium and that became "our song" and we did the first dance to it.  My dad wanted to pick a really sappy song for our dance but he's a crier.  I ended up picking "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra because it was nice and up-beat and we both love Sinatra. 

For my dress, I tried on some dresses with my mom and sister.  I liked some things about each of the dresses I tried on, but none of them felt right.  I ended up finding my dress with a friend when we were just looking and I had to have it.  I literally was guarding it so no one would snap it up before I could try it on because it was so perfect.  (It was on the discontinued rack so I needed that particular dress because of the size, I'm not a crazy pants.)  Once I got it on, I was positive that was my dress and I had to take it home with me.
  • before the proposal I cried anytime I saw a proposal and when I would watch SYTTD I would cry at random episodes when the girl would cry, lol.  But proposal actually happened and I did not cry at all.  Dress shopping I would not say I had an OMG this is one lets cry moment, but I definitely had an excitement come over me that I did not want to take it off, and nothing compared to it moment and I was just happier in it than any other dress.  When my mom cried, that made me start to cry but I held it in. 

wedding, I was happy happy all day. No tears, until my dad came in and I totally cried.  And then our father/daughter song was a surprise to me (he picked it and did not want me to know what he picked) and as soon as it started I totally cried again.   

Anniversary
  • edited October 2013
    I have been to 6 bridal stores and tried on probably 50 dresses... still haven't had "that" moment yet. I found a couple I really liked... until I got home and was looking at photos of them and didn't like them so much.  Then I had a couple I didn't really like in person, but liked better in the photos.  At this point I still haven't bought my dress and have been avoiding more shopping... but since I'm just under 8 months until wedding I really need to get back out there.  I have been looking online though and I think I may have found "the dress".  But, they need to order sample in from designer for me to try it on.  I've tried on enough to know what I'm looking for and I'm finding myself now comparing all dresses to this one, so I'm hoping it feels/looks as good on me as I imagine.  

But, I'm also not the type to get overly emotional about things, so I'm not sure I will have the big, emotional moment when I find "the dress".  I didn't cry when FI proposed... not even close. But, I do tend to start shaking uncontrollably when something big like that happens.  That was my reaction after the proposal... and after I found out I passed my professional licensing exam.  So, I wouldn't be too surprised if I start shaking.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards