Wedding Party

Okay for bride to ask bridesmaid to lose weight?

2»

Re: Okay for bride to ask bridesmaid to lose weight?

• Or grow out their hair?
    You're kidding, right?

I can't even read this thread.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agree with everyone, you should decline. It's so ridiculous! 
  • NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its very rude..!!!!  all my bridesmaids all different shapes and sizes and all have different hair lengths and I love them all just the way they are and found a dress that looks best on all body types.
  • mobkaz said:
      Is it OK?  Absolutely not.  Does it happen?  Sadly, yes....and worse.  I know BM's who were told, following the loss of a pregnancy, to "put that on hold until after my wedding".  There are some "peaches" currently posting who are insisting BM's pay huge coin for cloned hairstyles so as not to "ruin pictures".  Then there are the special ones who demand tattoos get covered, make up be worn/not worn......the list of self absorbed, mind numbing demands go on and on.......Sadly, nothing surprises me anymore.  

You are right about one thing, however.  Many of these new, self entitled, special brides are a joke.  

WHAT. This is enraging; there is absolutely no time or place that this would be acceptable for anyone to suggest that....having been through this myself, I would be FURIOUS if anyone said that to me... I would end that friendship faster than you can blink. What a horrible thing to say to someone!

• This is great news! You are finding out early and before spending any money on this wretch of a human being, that she is a terrible person. Anyone who makes casual comments like this is just testing the terrible waters of how far she can push you all.
  • My friend told me of a bride and groom she knew of who paid members of their gym to be in their wedding party so they would have "perfect pictures".  Couple of sad, sad people their...
  • Absolutely not - I'm so sorry someone you thought was close to you would do this. I would just decline immediately and tell the bride exactly why you're declining.
  • Absolutely not! And I agree with everyone else you should decline being a BM.
  • No, that is not ok at all.  The only time it is ever ok for someone to tell you to lose weight is if it's a health concern.  Other than that, it's just bitchy and obnoxious.  
  • This is probably one of the worst things a bride can do. I'm so sorry she did that to you. I'd decline the wedding...
  • likavecmhwlikavecmhw member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
    I was the MOH in a wedding this last summer, right away my best friend (the bride) asked me to grow my hair out (I've had short hair for 12 years).  I said to myself, "why not? She's my best friend and it's just hair..."
    WRONG IDEA. 
    The next thing I knew she had picked out $500 dresses (which were custom-made a local shop), $75 shoes, and we HAD to get our hair done at this really fancy salon, where we'd be shelling out close to $80 for an up-do.  I lived 3.5 hours away, so between driving up for fittings and consultations and to offer any other help she needed, I probably could have bought a new car. 
    Fortunately, she didn't have a bridal shower or bachelorette party-she asked that we not have one because she and her now-husband had been living together for years and had everything they needed, including a new son she wasn't ready to leave alone for a night.  If she had I probably would have killed her.  If I had just stood up for myself and refused in the first place, I would have saved myself a lot of grief and a friendship.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards